Lt. Commander
Okay, so I am adamantly against getting yanked into a DSE when all I was doing was trying to get to my next mission location.

What am I doing when I travel through Sector space? Aren't I simulating warp travel? Who's going to run me down in warp to battle with me? Okay, my knowledge of Star Trek is not like some of you and I expect that some of you are going to say "Yes, they can attack you in warp!" so I know that's coming. But, just let me say, to the best of my knowledge, warp travel was next to void of any combat and you didn't have Klingons "spotting" you and running you down as if you're traveling at impulse. I agree that if you were to leave a battle and try to get away, then yes those enemies could chase you down via warp and you'd have a battle on your hands.

With that said, am I completely misunderstanding the idea behind Sector Space travel?

I just hate not having the choice. If I want to battle that/those Klingon(s), then I'll click "Yes" to enter the battle with them which causes me to zone into that instance.

Please don't yank me out of what I was doing to join in an instance I had no intention of joining. So many times I was reviewing a mission reward choice all to have my screen go blank and shoved into an instance I didn't want to join. I seriously hate it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Nope combat at warp happened many times. The DSE are supposed to simulate the fact that the universe is at war.

Don't park near enemies (there is no stationary warp). If you are moving it isn't hard to set a course around or over them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayel
Okay, so I am adamantly against getting yanked into a DSE when all I was doing was trying to get to my next mission location.

What am I doing when I travel through Sector space? Aren't I simulating warp travel? Who's going to run me down in warp to battle with me? Okay, my knowledge of Star Trek is not like some of you and I expect that some of you are going to say "Yes, they can attack you in warp!" so I know that's coming. But, just let me say, to the best of my knowledge, warp travel was next to void of any combat and you didn't have Klingons "spotting" you and running you down as if you're traveling at impulse. I agree that if you were to leave a battle and try to get away, then yes those enemies could chase you down via warp and you'd have a battle on your hands.

With that said, am I completely misunderstanding the idea behind Sector Space travel?

I just hate not having the choice. If I want to battle that/those Klingon(s), then I'll click "Yes" to enter the battle with them which causes me to zone into that instance.

Please don't yank me out of what I was doing to join in an instance I had no intention of joining. So many times I was reviewing a mission reward choice all to have my screen go blank and shoved into an instance I didn't want to join. I seriously hate it.
You have two options here...

1) stop auto navigating and watch out for enemy ships
2) when you do get caught in one, warp out as soon as possible... you dont have to finish the instance to get out.

The game and these DSEs were designed to simulate a Galaxy at war. The ships traveling around in space act as mobs aggroing on you, you can out run them. Removing the auto-join feature would remove an essential element that makes the game what it is.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 08:59 AM
If at a minimum it would be nice if the systems had some kind of buffer around them that the DSE's avoided. Nothing huge, but just enough that a ship parked there doesn't get sucked in. I agree with the OP, when reviewing a mission in my logs before entering the system, just to find myself in a DSE, can be annoying.

However, once I just exit out, I've noticed the ship that initiated it becomes the 'cloud' DSE, and won't automatically suck you in after that. Instead it's replaced with the "Talk to enemy contact" bar.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayel

Unfortunately, you must have not seen one of the dozens of episodes or movie scenes where ships were knocked out of warp by getting hit by a torpedo salvo. It happens all the time in the Trek world. Someone tries to run away, and you jump to warp and follow them. If they travel at a slower warp speed than you, then you run up behind them and start attacking. There IS a difference in warp speed, if you didn't know that either, lol. Warp 9.5 is faster than warp 8.0. Don't you remember the captains "pushing" their ship to maximum warp to escape something? If they could just warp away and that's it...they would never do that. They would move at the slowest warp speed, so that friendly ships can respond to help them.

Anyways...turn off your auto-grouping, it's on the teaming menus when you press "O." There's three drop down menus that select options for auto-grouping and looting. That should help.

Personally, I love it. It adds to the immersion of the game for me. Every combat situation gives me skill points, so it makes no difference whether I spend time killing some Klingons in a random battle....or I spend time killing Klingons while on a patrol.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJWAmick View Post
You have two options here...

1) stop auto navigating and watch out for enemy ships
2) when you do get caught in one, warp out as soon as possible... you dont have to finish the instance to get out.

The game and these DSEs were designed to simulate a Galaxy at war. The ships traveling around in space act as mobs aggroing on you, you can out run them. Removing the auto-join feature would remove an essential element that makes the game what it is.
I completely disagree. Simulating a galaxy at war would be making Klingon players actual enemies that can fly in the same sector space as us and engage us, NOT weak npc's that do nothing but gang up on one player and move to the next after.

DSE are simply annoying atm... while a random PvP encounter would be exciting. But hell, even without ANY sort of death penalty, Cryptic still won't allow it. Makes no sense at all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 09:22 AM
generally no but you can just warp right out of it.

DSE's don't seem to scale *DOWN* in difficulty if you're the only person present in them, so unless you see other people it's likely best to beat a hasty retreat.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsweatshirt View Post
Anyways...turn off your auto-grouping, it's on the teaming menus when you press "O." There's three drop down menus that select options for auto-grouping and looting. That should help.
Auto-grouping is off. It still yanks me in.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 09:38 AM
The thing is that there IS an issue. It's all about player experience. Where is the "safe" place at? These enemies travel all over the place. And, as one has just said, when you come out of the DSE, you're prompted to "Talk..." to the enemy. Why can't this be the first option so you don't get diverted into something you had no intention of joining in on?

it is annoying for some of us. I think it is worth addressing. If it just required attacking the "one" ship right then and there and destroying it, I'd not have any issue with it. But, it requires me to zone into the new instance and wait until my ship appears and then I have to do it again to get out of it and then bring up all the panels I had open, hail Starfleet again and get back to where I was. It truly is annoying to me, but I'm only speaking for myself, obviously. I hate the interruption when I'm reviewing mission rewards, applying skill points or whatever it was I was doing when I was rudely yanked into an instance.

I don't want to have to Trans-warp all the way back to a SB to review missions, rewards, skills, etc. I don't know what the solution is, but it needs to be changed somehow.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
Nope combat at warp happened many times. The DSE are supposed to simulate the fact that the universe is at war.

Don't park near enemies (there is no stationary warp). If you are moving it isn't hard to set a course around or over them.
Well put. Many times have a seen a torpedo fired at high warp.