Lt. Commander
Ask Cryptic returns with answers on story, space, psionics, society, ships and logs. Thanks very much to our development team for taking time out of their busy schedules to answer these!
As we looked closely at the IP and built our story, we realized there were certain truisms we needed to honor. The Federation is an idealistic society that seeks to better themselves and others. It is a fundamental part of Gene Roddenberry's vision – the future will be brighter. Other societies like the Klingon Empire or the Romulans are not evil, but they are different. They are motivated by different values and handle situations very differently than the Federation.
Read more here!
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Ask Cryptic returns with answers on story, space, psionics, society, ships and logs. Thanks very much to our development team for taking time out of their busy schedules to answer these!
As we looked closely at the IP and built our story, we realized there were certain truisms we needed to honor. The Federation is an idealistic society that seeks to better themselves and others. It is a fundamental part of Gene Roddenberry's vision – the future will be brighter. Other societies like the Klingon Empire or the Romulans are not evil, but they are different. They are motivated by different values and handle situations very differently than the Federation.
Read more here!
sounds good but i'd like to think that pvp will not be forced upon those that do not wish to pvp unlike eve also if it does come down to pvp i'd like to think it is done farely in the sense of the attack has as much chance of getting their warpdrive kicked by the person they are attacking as the person does by the attacker.

Gref over this post by pro pvpers will be reported thats any and all forms of gref.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Oddly enough, I was just thinking about the problem with ship scaling in most MMOs today.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerHayden View Post
Oddly enough, I was just thinking about the problem with ship scaling in most MMOs today.
eve has to be the worst game for that, even the titan class ships imply that they are bigger then they really are in the game.
only real time you get a sense of scale is when you dock in a station.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance85 View Post
sounds good but i'd like to think that pvp will not be forced upon those that do not wish to pvp unlike eve also if it does come down to pvp i'd like to think it is done farely in the sense of the attack has as much chance of getting their warpdrive kicked by the person they are attacking as the person does by the attacker.

Gref over this post by pro pvpers will be reported thats any and all forms of gref.
From our FAQ:
Open PvP will be restricted to designated sectors of space (far-off reaches of unclaimed territory). Consensual PvP and competitive PvE will occur between the realm borders (the Neutral Zone), where players will be competing over territory and resources with the option to PvP.
There are always options for people who choose not to PvP, just as there will be options for people who want to PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Answered some questions, created some questions, but every little bit helps the time go by. I do hope PvP is not going to inherently ruin gameplay as has been seen before. PvP is obviously fun but I don't want to be on an away mission and get attacked just before I complete the mission and have to return to the ship every time.
Log entries would be a fun idea, I'd like to know how "offline" logs would be handled. All-in-all, can't wait. As long as Roddenberry's dream is kept alive in the gameplay I'll be there.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I have to say that the first question wasn't really... answered. I mean in the question, its asked about things like cut-scenes, and voice acting, and that part of the question was entirely skipped over.

Just saying >_>
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
From our FAQ:
Open PvP will be restricted to designated sectors of space (far-off reaches of unclaimed territory). Consensual PvP and competitive PvE will occur between the realm borders (the Neutral Zone), where players will be competing over territory and resources with the option to PvP.
There are always options for people who choose not to PvP, just as there will be options for people who want to PvP.
So the pvp side of the game will be nearly based upon the basic pvp in Wow in the sense that you become open to it when you enter some parts of the map but not in all of the parts.?

I should point out that in any game I have played mmo any attempt to restrict pvp has never worked, largely because those that are pro pvp tend to complain so much to game designers that they change the game, this won’t be the case in this game will it?
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
I would assume you would pvp if you entered a sector around a Klingon/Fed station, planet etc. It might be so that once leaving the alpha quadrant and Fleets begin to build their own stations and mining platforms and what not that those then become pvp target zones. But that's my take.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse21 View Post
I would assume you would pvp if you entered a sector around a Klingon/Fed station, planet etc. It might be so that once leaving the alpha quadrant and Fleets begin to build their own stations and mining platforms and what not that those then become pvp target zones. But that's my take.
your take sounds 2 much like the take, thats taken in eve.... wait what.... :-?