Lt. Commander
# 1 mission difficulty level
02-02-2010, 06:13 AM
I finished the tutorial missions and have completed several other missions. I love the game, especially the space battles. The missions I have done so far seem easy but I expect them to become more difficult. Even without my 2 new bridge crew (haven't had a chace to pick them up) I don't seem to be having any difficulties. I find myself rushing in against 3 or more ships just to experience a challenge, but perhaps this tactic won't work much longer?
I really like the automatic team feature. But again this seems to make the game easier. It would be nice if the mission difficulty could increase with each additional team player, but for now I thoroughly enjoy that we share mission goals. In the true spirit of Star Trek and the Federation, it encourages cooperation with other players instead of competition (I have not played Klingon yet).

I am looking forward to new challenges. This is truely a great game. Great job Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 06:19 AM
No we DONT want it harder its just right as it is,if you want harder then chose some missions that are above your lvl,IE if your lvl 6 do lvl 9 missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
No we DONT want it harder its just right as it is,if you want harder then chose some missions that are above your lvl,IE if your lvl 6 do lvl 9 missions.
Very bad idea. That would cause you to eventually hit a gap where you have no missions to do. This game needs missions with a variety of difficulties, with most being medium and a few (the bigger plot / episode ones) being harder. Alternatively, they could simply add a difficulty slider, which I know they're considering.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitaku View Post
Very bad idea. That would cause you to eventually hit a gap where you have no missions to do.
STO does or will have tougher endgame content, therefore I find it highly unlikely that someone 3 levels from maximum following madpaddy's suggestion would hit a gap.

There is nothing more frustrating for the casual player than to have a game made difficult to the point of unplayability because a few hardcore nerds want it that way. Blizzard made that mistake with World of ******** and then realised the error of their ways and dialled the difficulty level down.

If you prefer a more difficult but still enjoyable game experience there are plenty of things the player themselves can do.

* Time Trial - Complete quests as fast as possible
* No Death - Level a character with no deaths
* Limited Budget - Play using only quest rewards, drops and vendor bought items (gear from the exchange or another character is forbidden)
* Suicidal Tendancies - Lead from the front, preferably way out in front of your team on ground missions and the rest of the Fleet in space based Fleet Actions

Those are just a few ideas. If you want Hard Mode STO you can easily do it yourself without making the game globally hard for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 08:12 AM
it does begin to get a *LITTLE* tougher once you hit the tier 2 ships.. is suspect by end-game things will be a bit more interesting, but don't expect it to be like it was in beta before the difficulty was toned down.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexxit

There is nothing more frustrating for the casual player than to have a game made difficult to the point of unplayability because a few hardcore nerds want it that way. Blizzard made that mistake with World of ******** and then realised the error of their ways and dialled the difficulty level down.
To the point of pretty much alienating a lot of players, might I add. I was never a raider, but I had a few really "elite" friends that were simply sicked by how easy the game was becoming by the end of BC, and even I thought that a blind man could have tanked any of the heroics that were in Wrath.

Quote:
If you prefer a more difficult but still enjoyable game experience there are plenty of things the player themselves can do.

Those are just a few ideas. If you want Hard Mode STO you can easily do it yourself without making the game globally hard for everyone.
The thing is is that a lot of people aren't crying for the game to be hard, they're crying for it to be difficult at times. Honeslty, the only time I've ever actually died is when I went in over my head and took on a large group alone in a team mission. I have yet to even come close to dying on a solo mission. That to me is a problem. I certainly don't want every single fight to be a struggle, but at the same time I want some satisfaction. That huge battleship that was commanded by one of the most fierce Klingon warriors made my forward shield green before I blew it to bits. I mean really?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
I agree with the general request for a few harder missions... though I died for my first time last night during Stop the Signal, so perhaps I just have to patient with the difficulty curve?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDave
I agree with the general request for a few harder missions... though I died for my first time last night during Stop the Signal, so perhaps I just have to patient with the difficulty curve?
Which one is Stop the Signal? I've died a few times in ground combat, but that seems really wonky to me anyways. NPCS always attack me and only me, even though my tactical officer has some aggro hold power. Nevermind the fact that even though I have the highest tiered weapons possible for my level I seem to do pretty crappy damage.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Once you're around Commander level, expect most encounters to end with your shields in a diminished state and moderate hull damage. The difficulty level is just right.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
The one where you go blow up some klingon listening post then end up engaging a shapeshifter dreadnought assisted by the klingons. Of course I died a few times when I stumbled upon said dreadnought in an earlier stage of the mission and thought "oh this could be a challange."