Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
The problem with those stupid missions is that they're always on a reset timer when I enter them, so if I actually want to DO them I have to wait 5 minutes for it to restart, then fight them for the next 15 minutes. I avoid those things like the plague.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2010, 08:40 AM
I enjoy fleet actions.. but I go there for the huge battles, I don't care how I come up in the ranking.. they a lot of fun!
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey guys - there is also another issue at play here, at least for me. It's important the OP said "I was dragged in to the encounter" - I've had the same thing, but it isn't limited to encounters. It is basically popup windows being "auto confirmed", even when your hands are away from the keyboard and mouse. I get this a lot - conversations will automatically close, I'll enter systems without confirming - it just seems like sometimes, the F key is being pressed for me

I don't know if the OP has the same problem, but it's been plaguing me like crazy. Usually when it happens with an encounter, I warp into an enemy-camped spawn area, and just about escape intact if I'm lucky. Some interactive pickups just pick themselves up without prompting via the F key. Passing merchants in sector space hail me (when I haven't even contacted them), apologising that they're "closing up shop and moving on" - I never intended to chat with them in the first place!

Maybe this problem is causing some of the OP's confusion?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitaku View Post
The problem with those stupid missions is that they're always on a reset timer when I enter them, so if I actually want to DO them I have to wait 5 minutes for it to restart, then fight them for the next 15 minutes. I avoid those things like the plague.
Yes, that too! Not only did I not want to join it, there is the wait time!

So let me clear (if I haven't already). I don't mind these missions where I'm tasked to go find the enemies. I'll all too glad to go find one and join the battle. If I'm not on the mission, and I don't want to jump into a spur-of-the-moment DSE, then don't force me into it.

Lets compare. I trek (yep I used it) all the way to a System, which PROMPTS me to join that instance, which I gladly click the "Enter <the system>" option. Okay, so I went to that system on purpose, or flew by it, why then am I not automatically joined to that one? Think about it. So why then am I automatically joined into an instance at random? I should be prompted to join that one too.

It's about choice here. Options. I want to have that choice, not forced into it. Especially when being forced into it wipes out what I did intend on doing at the time.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazman76 View Post
Hey guys - there is also another issue at play here, at least for me. It's important the OP said "I was dragged in to the encounter" - I've had the same thing, but it isn't limited to encounters. It is basically popup windows being "auto confirmed", even when your hands are away from the keyboard and mouse. I get this a lot - conversations will automatically close, I'll enter systems without confirming - it just seems like sometimes, the F key is being pressed for me

I don't know if the OP has the same problem, but it's been plaguing me like crazy. Usually when it happens with an encounter, I warp into an enemy-camped spawn area, and just about escape intact if I'm lucky. Some interactive pickups just pick themselves up without prompting via the F key. Passing merchants in sector space hail me (when I haven't even contacted them), apologising that they're "closing up shop and moving on" - I never intended to chat with them in the first place!

Maybe this problem is causing some of the OP's confusion?
Nope, that's not the experience I'm having. Thanks for explaining your issue though as it seems you might have the "F" key mapped to two things? For example, I map my G15 macro key to Ctrl-2 to apply shield power to my forward shield, which ALSO fires my torpedoes simultaneously because firing torpedoes is key-mapped to "2". So yeah, Ctrl-2 also activates "2" executing two actions simultaneously.

For all prompts, hails, looting, etc. I get prompted for and are not automatically chosen. For DSE's I am not prompted. I am just sucked right into it. Coming out of it though, I then see the prompt to "Talk" to the enemy, which if I did I'd be put back in the same instance again.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfeeley1071 View Post
Well put. Many times have a seen a torpedo fired at high warp.
Not to get all sciency here, but how the hell does a ship traveling faster (or even orders of magnitude faster) than the speed of light get hit by a projectile weapon?

We've seen how hard it is to implement an anti-ICBM missile defense shield because the ICBM is moving faster than any missile is capable of intercepting.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
The way the Deep Space Encounters currently work is the worst pain in the game.
Form what I hear its working as intended, well its not the way it should work.

I hear this from pretty much everyone I talk to.
I set a destination for a mission I have to do, and then, while flying across sector space, I get up a loading screen.
First time this happend I was thinking What The Hell just happend, and the all of a sudden I was in a deep space encounter.
There is no warning whatsoever, and no way whatsoever to avoid it and you get dragged in against your will kicking and screaming.

Worst I had was getting jumped by no less than 4 encounters crossing the length of one single sector block.
I was trying to write a bug report on an issue I came across, when I was suddenly dragged into an encounter.
When the loading was done the bug report window had been closeed, and EVERYTHING I have written was gone, leaving me to start all over.

I can accept that you can get jumped in warp, but this is just stupid.
They just pop out of nowhere, how can you avoid something you cant see comming?
Dont matter if I use autonavigation or not, when I get attacked without even Knowing the enemy is there before I get dragged into it without any chance of avoiding it..

Another thing I noticed about this.
Say you have one of the missions to protect a sector block, and you actually go looking for an encounter.
You cannot attack random signal contacts in sector space, but they can jump you from out of nowhere forcing you to fight.
If they can attack you, why cant you attack them?
If this is meant to simulate a galaxy at war, it should be possible for both sides to attack the other, not just have one side always being the one to start the encounter.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayel
Okay, so I am adamantly against getting yanked into a DSE when all I was doing was trying to get to my next mission location.

What am I doing when I travel through Sector space? Aren't I simulating warp travel? Who's going to run me down in warp to battle with me? Okay, my knowledge of Star Trek is not like some of you and I expect that some of you are going to say "Yes, they can attack you in warp!" so I know that's coming. But, just let me say, to the best of my knowledge, warp travel was next to void of any combat and you didn't have Klingons "spotting" you and running you down as if you're traveling at impulse. I agree that if you were to leave a battle and try to get away, then yes those enemies could chase you down via warp and you'd have a battle on your hands.

With that said, am I completely misunderstanding the idea behind Sector Space travel?

I just hate not having the choice. If I want to battle that/those Klingon(s), then I'll click "Yes" to enter the battle with them which causes me to zone into that instance.

Please don't yank me out of what I was doing to join in an instance I had no intention of joining. So many times I was reviewing a mission reward choice all to have my screen go blank and shoved into an instance I didn't want to join. I seriously hate it.
those bad guys will yank you whenever they want buddy.

sorry thats all i could think when i was reading your post each time i read the word yank haha been ages since ive seen this word used thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Getting pulled in if you make contact with the enemy is part of the game. However, the fact that you can be pulled into the encounter to find...

- A 5-minute countdown in progress
- A flagship task force parked on the spawn point

... is just plain stupid.

For some reason the defense/sector battles are pulling double duty as random metamap encounters, which frequently results in the above conditions.

The solution is obvious but not enough people complained about this arrangement in beta, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any kind of fix.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickbat View Post
Not to get all sciency here, but how the hell does a ship traveling faster (or even orders of magnitude faster) than the speed of light get hit by a projectile weapon?

We've seen how hard it is to implement an anti-ICBM missile defense shield because the ICBM is moving faster than any missile is capable of intercepting.
The torpedo would not be fired from a stationary position. If that were the case then yes, the torpedo would need to go faster than the target ship (or on a well-aimed intercept trajectory). However, the two ships moving at the same velocity basically creates a stationary system. They're moving, but relative to each other they're not, so from the perspective of the system, a torpedo is traveling from one stationary object to another at its normal velocity.

Explained another way, the torpedo is traveling at its own velocity plus the velocity of the ship it was fired from. Assuming the ships are traveling at the same speed, it is now moving faster than the target ship and will be able to catch it.