Lt. Commander
# 71
02-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodorn
This is a simple business decision. They are not going to go out and spend money on tons of new hardware to support players who may not be here in the next 2-3 months. I bet they are testing the water to see how the player base holds up before making the decision to purchase new hardware.
Hmmm, if people cant play half the time,....it doesnt take a genius to see that they WONT be here in 2-3 months.

Maybe they should make the game playable to try and keep people for more than the first month.

And if they are selling lifetime subs,....but plan on abandoning the game in 2-3 months,....I am sure the lifetime buyers arent going to feel cheated in any way.

A lot of people warned everyone this is how Cryptic does things. They said ' it was beta',.... 'this is star trek they wont treat it thhat way.' blah blah,.....yet here ya are,...right where you were warned you would be. Enjoy.
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWAR View Post
Hmmm, if people cant play half the time,....it doesnt take a genius to see that they WONT be here in 2-3 months.

Maybe they should make the game playable to try and keep people for more than the first month.

And if they are selling lifetime subs,....but plan on abandoning the game in 2-3 months,....I am sure the lifetime buyers arent going to feel cheated in any way.

A lot of people warned everyone this is how Cryptic does things. They said ' it was beta',.... 'this is star trek they wont treat it thhat way.' blah blah,.....yet here ya are,...right where you were warned you would be. Enjoy.
Because people generally don't want to see the truth. People have to find out the hard way themselves.

And then to think about that there is a saying: A Donky won't hit is head against the same stone twice.

Ahh well.
Lt. Commander
# 73
02-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWAR View Post
Before I bought my lifetime subscription, I made a point to research the other MMOs that Cryptic has done. Lo! Behold! City of Heroes, City of Villains, Champions Online, they're all still running after 1 year and counting. (Yes, I realize Heroes/Villains was sold off, but it's still be operating since 2004.)

All this warning about Cryptic being a big cheat is, frankly, not compatible with their track record. In fact, most of the references I've seen to Champions Online have been that it had a rocky start (as if that's something unheard of for an MMO) but that the major problems were addressed relatively quickly after launch. Even if people hold CO in contempt, the fact remains that it's still plugging away and with an expansion on the way. (However you feel about an expansion this early, it means it's making money, and I don't care if you think capitalism is evil, when Cryptic makes money, that's a good thing for them and us.)

Calling Cryptic out, trying to organize class-action lawsuits, and generally raging about the quality of service when literally every single buyer is trying to get online is just moronic. That's not usually how things are, you realize that, right? Not every single person is ever trying to log in all at the same time during normal usage. Eventually, it'll start normalizing and things will calm down, but it won't happen for about a week or two.

You've all waited this long. Take a chill pill and wait a little bit more. It's not like you're losing money, eh? Everyone is aware they get a free month of gameplay before your subscription starts, right? You paid for the game on your computer, but you haven't actually paid for the server time, yet. You're not out anything. At least cancel your subscription and wait the month out to see how well it works before going ballistic. By then you'll have an idea of what it'll be like in months to come. (Unless they're like Blizzard and everyone starts making YTMNDs out of their authentication downtime.)

(PS - I don't normally respond to these things because nobody's ever keeps their emotions in check long enough to see a problem rationally, but I had some free time before my classes start. When I get home, I'll be patching up to retail and playing my Joined Trill and never again set foot in this dastardly world of MMO forums. Whiners, the lot of you.)
Lt. Commander
# 74
02-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronas
Because people generally don't want to see the truth. People have to find out the hard way themselves.
And then to think about that there is a saying: A Donky won't hit is head against the same stone twice.

Ahh well.
A Donkey wont.
A human is bound to, and it's a gift to be able to rejoice

Anyway, i don't really care if they have new servers, or they didn't even bother to order some. All i care about is being able to play at least a few moments lag / crash free.

I can't recall any mmo start wich didn't get "rough". Sure the better one's didn't have to shut down the gameservers. But they all did lag like hell. I even renember "hammering" the login button for about 45 Minutes to get in. [ Game servers Full] No queues. Apparently all those issues floating around in todays mmo never have been packed into one back then. It either lagged, or just crashed or just been "full". MMOs pre 2004 that is, this even rules WoW out.

One should also be aware that times have changed, everthing get hyp'ed into oblivion. New MMOs experience something like a short substained rush, and get dropped fast for various reasons.
They couldn't live up to the overhyp'ed expectations, or it simply wouldn't let you log on and play. (See ****)

This is a self-serving marketing strategy, creating all this kind of issues. Did you ever ready about STO how it would be heavy instanced back in 2009`? - A Massive huge universe - go figure.

I wouldn't be shocked to hear they sat it out. Although it's simple that they lose more money (players) in the long haul than "wasting" a tiny sum of cash for server hardware, temporary needed for the hype masses.
What would you need for expanding your server cluster, and backup storage and failover & loadbalance, like 20 to 30 K ? That's nothing.

Full game servers can't distinguish between a hyped MMO locust and reg. players, they block everyone equally out.

It's absolute understandable if people drop this game and leave. Most just don't have the time to sit it out. It's not like anyone can sit from today till three years forward every evening for about 8 Hours waiting for the game to get fixed / fun / be able to log in.

The suit guys and fanboys just don't get it.
Lt. Commander
# 75
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
As I've stated before the opinions are all fine and you're all entitled to them but I'd prefer a little less "CRYPTIC R THIEVES THIS GAME WILL DIE" crap in it if you would be so kind.

That is not the point of the topic.
Lt. Commander
# 76
02-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverscorp
Btw, since you can toss money out the window how about spending 500 bucks to..

1) Donate to the people in Haiti
Did this

Quote:
2) Give to your local homeless shelter
Do this and tend to be an easy mark for street bums too, what can I say I'm compassionate at heart.

Quote:
3) Donate to an animal shelter
I donate annually to the Animal Rescue Foundation.

Quote:
4) Buy my island in Arizona...
Sorry, too much real estate in my portfolio anyways.