Lt. Commander
# 1 Steam & STO Concern...
02-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I had to remove STO from my Steam folder as Steam insisted on deleting it and redownloading it twice every time I tried to play STO during the head start. Now that it is in a new folder location on my HDD Steam does not detect STO on it's own. Beings I got my pre-order from Steam does this mean in order to get my pre-order items while I have to have Steam redownload STO again? Steam does NOT even show STO in my games to download section as well.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I think you can put it back.

Steam didnt try to download the game again for me this time.

(I backed it up just to be sure )

EDIT:

You just need to steam key to get the items. You don't need to play it from steam.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
I put it back into the steam folder and steam still doesnt pick it up I think I broke it
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 10:59 AM
To get your bonus items you just need the CD key from Valve, you can install the game any way you prefer.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 12:44 PM
This happened to me as well, here is what I did.

I have STO installed via the OB client, installed in the root directory of my H drive.

Have a shortcut on the desktop pointing to the .exe.

Steam shows that I have STO, however it's "not installed".

Right click and select "start installing" and it starts downloading STO to the steamapps folder.

Right click again and select "pause installing".

However, you will now notice that there are additional options on the right click menu, one of which is "View game CD key".

click this, it will then display your keys (preorder key and Deluxe CD key).

Select Deluxe CD key, click the "copy key to clipboard" button and then goto http://www.startrekonline.com/activate and paste the key and activate.

Close steam and launch the client via the STO shortcut (that doesn't use the steamapp folder .exe, it uses the already downloaded .exe sitting in a seperate folder).

Hope this helps.