Lt. Commander
Folks,
I have a dual core high end PC with 4 GB of RAM and a GTS 8800 nVidia card. I have just refreshed the drivers for it today. I am running Windows 7.

I am playing the game at 1280x900 and performance is awful. I am playing on the initial levels (borg and asteroid) and the game simply lags and jerks continuously. If I lower the resolution to ridiculously low levels, the game performs fine ... so I know it isn't network lag, I am at a loss to know how to progress ... the game can't be played at this rate and I don't know how to debug.

Neil
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Can you post a dxdiag log. Use pastebin.com and link it here. Also, what DDR memory and clocks are on the gcard?

Even a manufacturer and serial number would be enough to see if it is the card.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi Kolban,

It is a know issue that latest nVidia drivers doesn't performs well. Recommended drivers are 190.6 (If i'm not wrong, anyway they are the WHQL 190 one, not the beta).

I have a similar configuration than yours, but my graphics is 8800 GT 512Mb (yours is a bit more powerful I think) but I have to disable some high details (many).

Look for the forum, there is a graphic performance guide very useful.

Good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorti View Post
Hi Kolban,

It is a know issue that latest nVidia drivers doesn't performs well. Recommended drivers are 190.6 (If i'm not wrong, anyway they are the WHQL 190 one, not the beta).

I have a similar configuration than yours, but my graphics is 8800 GT 512Mb (yours is a bit more powerful I think) but I have to disable some high details (many).

Look for the forum, there is a graphic performance guide very useful.

Good luck!

Actually the latest drivers perform very well with STO. They do however have problems with the very latest high end cards. Somethign which Nvidia has already acknowledged, which is why theyre pushing releases out faster lately.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 04:50 PM
tedgp123,
As requested, here is my dxdiag output at pastebin.com

http://pastebin.com/m7b8e92fd

As for nVidia driver levels, I am running 196.21

Neil
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 06:25 PM
From looking at your dxdiag log, i'd say at a guess it's your card. Does it have 256 mb ram by any chance? And possibly DDR2 ram at that? Even with DDR3 ram, the card will still need at least 512mb ram or it will be straining the rest of your system. And thats not really a good idea, especially with your mid range proc.

A workaround you could try and test is roll back your drivers to the 190.** series. These seem to work the best with the 8*** series cards.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 07:23 PM
On a hunch, I installed STO on my work laptop. A relatively modern thing but not a graphics work horse. On my laptop, the game played flawlessly at ultra high speed compared to my grossly more powerful deskside with a high end graphics card. I know that my laptop is nowhere near as powerful. For example, on my deskside, I play Call of Duty: MW2 ... and it plays at high resolution with great FPS.... on my laptop, it will hardly play at low resolution. Yet STO is just the reverse. Again ... I play all kinds of graphics games on my deskside ... Dragon Age, COD: MW2, BioShock etc etc ... and this is the very first time I have had a graphics slowness.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolban View Post
Folks,
I have a dual core high end PC with 4 GB of RAM and a GTS 8800 nVidia card. I have just refreshed the drivers for it today. I am running Windows 7.

I am playing the game at 1280x900 and performance is awful. I am playing on the initial levels (borg and asteroid) and the game simply lags and jerks continuously. If I lower the resolution to ridiculously low levels, the game performs fine ... so I know it isn't network lag, I am at a loss to know how to progress ... the game can't be played at this rate and I don't know how to debug.

Neil
i have the exact same card with 512, 4 gigs of ram, intel quad processor each running 2.97 windows vista 32bit and im haveing the exact same problems. i can run crysis, age of conan and many others on full with shadows at 1680 by 1050 no prpoblem... but this game... wow its killing my card
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Auxthil,
Wow ... I am sorry that you are having the same problem but it does make me feel better that I am not alone. If there are a number of us, I am thinking that the likely hood of us working together to find a solution is higher and, if it is a defect, then the developers may be able to patch.

Neil
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 07:15 AM
I noticed there is 2 monitors listed are you using 2 monitors and are you running in windows mode?? Plus your 8800 is only showing 295mb dedicated ram so im guessing you have one of the 320's could mean something on the graphics card is wrong.