Lt. Commander
# 61
02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swag-nyc View Post
sorry, my own name is far too common

and I fail to see how using my own name involves imagination

and if i wanted to be truely original I wouldnt be pretending to be a character in a 40 year old scifi universe
He dinna say use your actual name, but to think up one of your own. Also, Z is a character from someone elses IP. don't expect to be using that for long...against the rules. Same goes for all the kirks picards, darths anakins lukes etc etc etc.
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by furio View Post
He dinna say use your actual name, but to think up one of your own. Also, Z is a character from someone elses IP. don't expect to be using that for long...against the rules. Same goes for all the kirks picards, darths anakins lukes etc etc etc.
HAHAHA

Thats such a good point:

http://www.startrekonline.com/support/policies/names

Character Name, Handle, and Fleet Names May Not:
Be the registered property of any other company
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
and for me I'm wondering why bother coming up with a truely unique name that is cool and all if someone else can simply copy it because they like it too.

sure we can expect x number of kirks and adamas and beeblebroxes if its alowed, but the same applies for that truely original name.

why bother if someone can copy it.
Remember, in order for someone the see a truly unique name and copy it, they have to make a character with a name they like(the very system to which you are objecting means nobody is stuck with their second/third/twelfth choice), then decide they like this other name better.

I do not believe this is very likely.
Quote:
I picked the Z man as a character I can identify with, from a series that I consider the be the greatest work of humor ever written. nothing wrong with taking a name of greatness when the oportunity affords it, but generally one expects in a mmo that the name you pick is yours.
I find it mind-boggling that you would use defending people's creativity in your argument when your actual objection is that someone else stole the same name you did. From a source that's been widely known for about thirty years, at that.
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalzidrax View Post
And stop naming your ship "Normandy" or at least go play a Mass Effect. I swear that's the most common ship name out there.
Haha take it as a gag... we only tell you what we play when the STO Servers are down again

I love that you can use whatever Name you want... i realy hate it when names are taken... then you end up with something like "Z3R0B4NG" for the rest of your life

On another thought... how about uniquie registry Numbers and If you choose a Shipname somebody else has you automatically get the same registry Number with an -A -B -C etc. on it?

Or maybe after choosing a name make a popup "great choice only 256 other Players used that name before!"
Lt. Commander
# 65 Unique names
02-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Umm folks...

Ship registration numbers and service IDs are unique.

We are one planet of moderate population... and how many people here truly have a unique name (especially if you are talking 'first names' only).

I am pretty sure there is more then one jame (or kirk) in the universe.

Now personally I want to hit one of the dev's :-) I have played as Kestrel in every mmog, I have ever been in with luck, and work very very few have I not been able to get my name (and spelled properly)... and now I am poor Kystrel.... silly resticed names.. (but understand why)

Unique names would break immersion for me, since you DO run into people with the same name, and Kestrel1978 is not a real looking name... (though as a good role player can always rationalize it as name + last four of service ID....)