Lt. Commander
# 1 Space Combat Tier 1
02-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I am a big fan of both Cryptic and their new game Star Trek Online. So this comment is not in the nature of anything other than an observation.

I certainly am happy to see space combat/pvp that is not like Eve Online where a loss is a total loss. I have noted that Tier One pvp has always, since closed beta, been heavily balanced toward the Klingon side. Mind you I play both Klingon and Federation side.

I do not attribute the overbalance of gameplay to tactics, cloaking or means of escape. It just simply seems to boil down to a question of durability. I have noted that no matter how many times I enter a pvp battleground in Tier One in space, it always results in a loss for the Federation side, Not just a slight loss. Invariably the loss is no better than 2 to 15.

At the moment that developers have to concentrate on getting the game running smoothly. In the long run, however, the pvp side of the game will slow down and those customers will gravitate back toward Eve Online.

I want this game to be an overwhelming success. The pve side of the game is grand and that is where it has a great advantage of the competitors. The pvp side of the game in space is seriously lacking.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Fascinating. Please, tell us more. This is entirely new to us.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
what do u mean a question of durabilty? because klingon ships arnt as duarble as feds and it contradics what you say,..
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I am bubbling with anticipation to see these arguments start afresh.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
I am bubbling with anticipation to see these arguments start afresh.
Hush troll.

He has a legitmate point of view as a paying customer. If it's inexperience on his part, then let him explain what he feels is imbalanced and THEN you can berate him with your vast superior knowledge of the game's combat sytem.

He could have a different perception of something, or may have found something we haven't thought of. Who are you to be so condescending to someone obviously new to the forum?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Actually I could care less what the trolls think. The entire point was to post feedback for the devs. I played both sides up to level 16 during the beta and found the situation reveresed itself in Tier 2. I haven't reached Tier 2 since head start so I can't say if the situation repeats itself.

The major point being that while there is much discussion about speed of the Klingon Ship vs. The Federation ships, the ability to cloak or not it seems the sole difficulty I encounter doesn't involve any of these. Despite what the ships may be rated on the screen it seems most likely that the Tier 1 ships just too tough to take down vs. the Fed ability to do damage even with maxed out skills.

Obviously balancing pvp is a difficult task at best and it also depends what approach is used to balance.

Consider the approach to balance in pvp that Mythic Uses versus Activision/Blizzard. My hopes is that Cryptic will take more the former approach to balance than the later - rock, paper, scissors rather than simply micro managing the ships/classes so that each ship balances against all the others (a difficult proposition at best).

Although I seems that whenever I play on the Klingon side we win each match that isn't much fun either.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 11:14 PM
keep in mind that klingons only level for pvp yes we get exp if we lose but allmost half less (infack this isthe skill point set up)

70 skill reward if u suck
90 if your below average
100 if your ok
120 if your great

and its rated compaird to your team mates

on top of thatbecause we have cloak we are forced to work together more, because of instant auto target the fed ball instantly attacks the 1st person to uncloak.

most of the fedplayers are noobs used to playing pvp. good fed groups can easaly beet klingons
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 11:20 PM
As for myself I do quite a bit of pvp but that is the ground combat, not space combat such as in Eve.

When I play my Klingon character I do wish there where other avenues toward advancement, and in fact the state of the game message by the executive producer said that there would be. Regardless of the rewards for participation when I do pvp I do so simply for the enjoyment of the experience - If the match is a good one, win or lose, I don't care if I get zero experience for it.

and as to the question of durability, it is obviously a matter of more than simply the stats that read out on the screen including the strength of the shields. It seems to be a matter of the coding.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Hush troll.

He has a legitmate point of view as a paying customer. If it's inexperience on his part, then let him explain what he feels is imbalanced and THEN you can berate him with your vast superior knowledge of the game's combat sytem.

He could have a different perception of something, or may have found something we haven't thought of. Who are you to be so condescending to someone obviously new to the forum?
When did I ever say anything negative?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 11:39 PM
So basically you think we have magically bugged ships that make us more durable. OF COURSE!

Ironically this would be one of the only things Cryptic has done for us that didn't break another piece ofour faction.