Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSomething View Post
Just think, you can mail your Joined Trill a bunch of stuff and get started that much sooner :p
That is exactly what I did. Worked a character up to city on the edge of never for the fantastic Rare shield quest reward. Will reroll a joined and get the engines the second time through.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Like others, I think it's a shame that they don't let you 'Join the Trill' if that makes sense. TBH, I know a lot of people went deluxe for the early play and the joined trill - surely it wouldn't be hard to let us do that.

Whilst Cryptic may have made it clear that the bonuses were for actual release onwards; I'm sure when I wandered through the forums a few days ago that this was conversation point. I remember a few people hypothesising (or stating) that you could join afterwards; but no rebuke of this from Cryptic. I think a lot of people feel mislead on this one as people have put a fair amount of work in to their character over the last few days. It would have been nice if we weren't expected to "waste" what was a 'perk'. Be honest, how boring was it doing the early stages again after open beta during the early start? I'm sure there are a few people who don't want to do it all again in such a short timespan. I don't know, maybe I put too much on loyalty - Cryptic will be pushing for us to be loyal to the game and stay; but loyalty should work in both directions - usually a surefire way to get more people to stay for more than one month and start getting those necessary repeat subscribers.

I know that I am the sort of person that gets disenchanted when I don't get what I want (paid for). I know I looked at the joined trill option; with the other items that are now useless as most everything I have is already better, it is of no use. The type of person I am means I probably wont become a repeat subscriber (after all, I left Champions after a single month as that didn't really give me a buy in to my character like you get from others such as Eve or WOW). I know a lot of people who are similar. Perhaps a review of strategy will assist Cryptic with generating a long term user base.

Simply put; I wont bother re-doing my character. I'm sure many others wont. So letting us amble in and expecting us to waste our time by having us do something which we needn't have (after all - head start usually means just that - a head start; not time wasted which you will have to redo when something is openly available if you want what you paid for) isn't a good move. If you want a life span of WOW and Eve, then listen to your customers, let them buy in to the characters (it's these they will commit to) and respond to confusion that is obviously evident. If 100 people loose interest that wouldn't have otherwise, thats at least 12k per year lost; though looking through the forum at this misunderstanding, I'd be surprised if the number is that low following gaming trends.

To those who will flame; I know items weren't available pre-retail launch. I expected this. I just thought business sense for this game model would have allowed us to use the 'joined' element that has sparked a lot of interest in the same way we can use the items - add it on on retail release day. Instead I have a character that isn't what I wanted and will likely loose interest far more quickly. Being stuck with what you didn't want unless you re-do everything? Not really my bag; others likely feel the same.

Sorry for the long post everyone, I just find myself frustrated when things are there that make little sense.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I think it would have been messy to try and retroactively change people's race from unjoined trill to joined trill. That's probably why they chose not to allow that option.

But, really, they've been clear from the beginning. Every time I've seen it brought up on the forums, people have been quick to point out that you would have to start a new character to have the joined trill.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Eh. If they didn't make you go through the Lieutenant grade when creating new alts, I'd be more inclined to actually use my Joined Trill.

Or at least let us start new federation characters off at LT5 like Klingons do.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC26 View Post
I think it would have been messy to try and retroactively change people's race from unjoined trill to joined trill. That's probably why they chose not to allow that option.

But, really, they've been clear from the beginning. Every time I've seen it brought up on the forums, people have been quick to point out that you would have to start a new character to have the joined trill.
I disagree, we just need an increase of our base statistics and the title changed. Couple of functions and an option to apply joined trill on our characters profile and I would be happy. Oh I am a programmer so I know they probably have a whole seperate profile for each but they cant be much different, its just lazyness and leaving some people willing to put money in their pocket a little frustrated.

Serious shame. I was in on this 2nd day BETA, bought 44.50 package and all I got from it that matters is 360 defense weapon, the pesonal shield is shocking and I waint a trekkie so the other stuff from D2D to me is laughable. Why people want this emotes and uniforms is beyond me.

I just wanted a stronger character and ship.