Lt. Commander
# 21
01-28-2010, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAN69UK View Post
Turns out this artifacting occurs while benchmark testing with Heaven too, so I might be able to RMA after all.
It sounds like a cooling issue, or you might have just gotten a bad card. If it's still under warranty, and you can prove it happens with multiple games/programs, then the manufacturer will RMA it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Confirmed, the retailer is happy to take the card back for testing.

Hopefully, if they send a replacement it won't have the same issue...
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
I have to disagree with all of you on this one I am afraid. Try this. If this doesn't work then everyone's probably right and you will need an RMA.

Get ATI tray tools (Free from 3D Guru. Use Google) The install. Run it and right click the try icon and select 3d or Direct X Settings at the top. Go to Settings and select additional in the tabs.

Now make sure Geometry Instancing is ticked. quit ATI try tools. You wont need to do it again unless you re-install driver.

Fire up STO and I am also sure it will be solved.

I had this added to an official FAQ but dont have the link off hand. Trust me it will work

Found It Heres what I had added to the FAQ.

Hey.

I have helped several people with a similar problem to yours. Try this and I expect it will work for most of you with ATI cards.

Anyway you first need to download ATI Tray tools http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Install the one that matches your OS ofc. Now when installed and running right click its tray icon and select 3D or Direct X 3d. Now select Settings.

Make sure AA/AAA/AF are all set to app controlled. I have never had a problem with AA and AAA forced with STO but some people do. So I would suggest setting it to App controlled for all.

Now heres the part that should help: From there select: Additional on the little Tabs.

Now look down to where it says: Geometry Instancing. If its unticked (Driver Defaults to Unticked) Tick it and press apply and ok. Now you can quit ATI tray tools if you like.

You never have to do this again as long as you don't install another driver.

Now fire up STO and see if the problems gone and I suspect it will.

I have never encountered any problem with Instancing on in any game. In fact some like STO and Gothic 3 rely on it. All it does is say you have a rock. Instead of loading 50 instances of it into your GFX memory it just loads the 1 because if said rock is the same in those 50 instances then whats the point of loading it in 50 times when it can be cloned from the 1 loaded rock Basically it.

Not all games use it but there absolutely no adverse effects from leaving it enabled. If I disable it in STO or Gothic 3 then those games are simply unplayable because of crazy artifacing.

Hope this helps and please try it. Only takes 5 mins tops to try.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 08:05 AM
The retailer RMA'd the card so they must have found something wrong also

If the replacement I receive does the same thing I'll go grab the tool you linked, thanks Loxanna
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2010, 05:57 AM
The replacement graphics card has arrived and seems to work fine.

So on this occasion it looks like the graphics card was at fault

Thanks for the help anyway peeps