Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-03-2010, 08:40 AM
here is my 2 pennies, take or leave.


Yes, it would be nice to go straight up and down. Problem. And here comes the physics of it all again. All thrusters on Star Trek vessels are on the back. And impluse, warp everything goes straight behind the ship. So unless they put in an animation or design a ship to pull a Harrier you are going to have to go at an angle. Now the flip side is that there could be manuevering thrusters on all side fo the hull for docking and stuff like that but it would be ten times faster to jsut fly in a big circle then to move up at 1km/hour.

all I can say is thank god the phaser can fire straight up and in 250 degree angles so while I am moving in a circle I am still ripping the shields off my enemy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksty
I might be wrong here, but when i control the ship, it would add a totally new layer of complexity if you had 360 degree on all axis.

My reasoning is the way we control the ship and teh way to camera follows.

I use both mouse buttons to move as i find this easier, and use the keyboard for all the other things (programmable keys always help here)

If i tried to move in a full 3D space, i get a little confused and disoriented, and i think it has been mentioned before that most people cannot calculate depth and distance as well when flying, which seperates the really good fighter pilots from the good ones. (not sure if i am explaining this correctly)

But i think it would be better to allow for a straight "up" and "down" on that axis, so full 180 degree, instead of the 120 we got currently.

It is just funny to me that i can not go staight up
I know what you mean...because our brain needs some orientation points and can't handle to to many dimensions.

But in the end that doesn't matter. Only thing that's important would be your facing twards an object/planet/enemy...that's somehow your point to maneuver in space
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinerath View Post
here is my 2 pennies, take or leave.


Yes, it would be nice to go straight up and down. Problem. And here comes the physics of it all again. All thrusters on Star Trek vessels are on the back. And impluse, warp everything goes straight behind the ship. So unless they put in an animation or design a ship to pull a Harrier you are going to have to go at an angle. Now the flip side is that there could be manuevering thrusters on all side fo the hull for docking and stuff like that but it would be ten times faster to jsut fly in a big circle then to move up at 1km/hour.

all I can say is thank god the phaser can fire straight up and in 250 degree angles so while I am moving in a circle I am still ripping the shields off my enemy.
No we don't want harrier style flying...more like you would fly a normal plane...if you wanna go up you pull the stick back...similar like it would be for starships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
I would like to be able to go straight up/down instead of the angle we have now.. but a "True 3D" space (with upside down etc) would probably be a pain in the rear for most people to play. This isnt a space simulator after all and we need to make the game playable for the majority.
Because playing a game made for the "lowest common denominator" is more funner?

Can we get a developer that isn't afraid of a little complexity? I'm rather tired of space ships that fly like they are motor boats or silly planes. People are smarter then that, and if not, there is nothing wrong with an education. Give independently controlled thrusters and a competent simulation of Newtonian physics. I can handle it... Really!

/carebearstare...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-03-2010, 08:49 AM
IMO, the game captures the general feel of the ship movements from the series/movies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-03-2010, 08:49 AM
It is so obvious why it isn't fully 3D, ifthe ship went upside down all your crew would fall out of their seats and then you would be stuck because no one would be able to reach the controls. Honestly some people on this forum are sooooo stupid.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridfrenzy View Post
It is so obvious why it isn't fully 3D, ifthe ship went upside down all your crew would fall out of their seats and then you would be stuck because no one would be able to reach the controls. Honestly some people on this forum are sooooo stupid.
ROFL... good one.

/carebearstare...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-03-2010, 09:00 AM
I haven't actually gotten into the game because I have to upgrade my system (read specs BEFORE you buy the game!), but this sounds like a limitation of the graphics engine.

Are you saying we can't angle up or down, there's just an "increase/decrease 'height' " control? That'll be a bit annoying, especially since there are other engines that can do that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp_Hazzard
I haven't actually gotten into the game because I have to upgrade my system (read specs BEFORE you buy the game!), but this sounds like a limitation of the graphics engine.

Are you saying we can't angle up or down, there's just an "increase/decrease 'height' " control? That'll be a bit annoying, especially since there are other engines that can do that.
You can angle up or down, just not directly up, or directly down. Only more like 60 degrees or so. There is also no 'strafe' in any direction in space so you have to be moving forward to go up or down at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirrian
Can we get a developer that isn't afraid of a little complexity?
This is a game marketed for the western market.....so yes they are very afraid of making a game too smart for the avg player. They saw what happened to the original SWG and there hasnt been a complex MMO since.

As far as space physics goes I cant imagine a ship of that size could ever pull a real barrel roll. This is all assumption but some type of fake gravity must exist on ship unless the ship itself is massive enough (highly unlikely) to create what the human body is used to. Whatever form it takes its hard to imagine that its strong enough to not be affected by a massive ship trying to pull a full 360 barrel roll in 10 seconds. Imagine the amount of angular momentum generated and the centrifugal force exerted on crew members with a max distance from the center of mass (outer decks).

My roomie is complaining about the same thing but I just think the space combat is fun as hell and dont wanna worry about the little things. Would it be more immersive if we had full axis control yes. Does it really affect gameplay or fun factor that much no. Are we sick of the crying...YES!!!!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:00 AM.