Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayel
I'll back this up and I'll just say this one thing and try to keep it short.

I read in a thread, posted to by a "Dev", that "WE" asked to have the logon queue implemented. I for one didn't ask for it. Many, and I mean MANY players screamed at you over it. I don't recall seeing the thread asking for it and it sure didn't contain the majority of the player base or it would have been a LOT more prevalent.

So, yes, keep a VERY level head and don't make snap decisions. Ensure what you do is balanced, which I'm sure you will do without even mentioning it. But, alas, the fear is there as other MMOs have not done this well.
There were several threads asking for a queue. There is DEFINITELY a need for a queue. Queues to get into the game are GOOD. They are, in fact, much better than a lottery clicking Connect over and over again at the log in screen, hoping to be let in. The problem is NOT the queue. The problem is the SIZE of the server. Please, people.

See the problem for what it is, please!

As far as QQ about PVP? Well, it depends. Data doesn't lie. If a X class/build consistently wins where Y class/build consistently loses, then there is a definite problem. The question is "how do you fix it?". The answer is buff Y, not nerf X.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurataigiere
There were several threads asking for a queue. There is DEFINITELY a need for a queue. Queues to get into the game are GOOD. They are, in fact, much better than a lottery clicking Connect over and over again at the log in screen, hoping to be let in. The problem is NOT the queue. The problem is the SIZE of the server. Please, people.

See the problem for what it is, please!

As far as QQ about PVP? Well, it depends. Data doesn't lie. If a X class/build consistently wins where Y class/build consistently loses, then there is a definite problem. The question is "how do you fix it?". The answer is buff Y, not nerf X.
Okay, well i'm not going to get into a debate here. I would like to see a link to those threads though.

The thing is, there were raving mad posts, and a ton of them, complaining of the queues. People were mad about not being able to play the game when they've paid for it, and rightly so. So, this is your opinion and I can respect that, but facts are facts.

Again, please post a link to those threads. I would like to read them and see for myself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayel
Okay, well i'm not going to get into a debate here. I would like to see a link to those threads though.

The thing is, there were raving mad posts, and a ton of them, complaining of the queues. People were mad about not being able to play the game when they've paid for it, and rightly so. So, this is your opinion and I can respect that, but facts are facts.

Again, please post a link to those threads. I would like to read them and see for myself.
I know this is kind of hijacking the thread here, but, I guess I don't understand how having a queue is any more of a problem than not having one. With the queue system, you are placed in line to get into the server. Without the queue system, when the server is full, you simply aren't allowed to log in. You can keep trying, but you could very likely spend just as long (with the additional hassle of having to actively try to reconnect each time) waiting to get in.

It's sort of six of one, half dozen of the other. At least with the queue I only have to hit connect one time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Paynicus
Yes, I am aware. Doesn't change the fact that they're an absolute joke.
Doesnt change the fact that both sides have them if you pick the right officers. This invalidates your concern
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayel
I'll back this up and I'll just say this one thing and try to keep it short.

I read in a thread, posted to by a "Dev", that "WE" asked to have the logon queue implemented. I for one didn't ask for it. Many, and I mean MANY players screamed at you over it. I don't recall seeing the thread asking for it and it sure didn't contain the majority of the player base or it would have been a LOT more prevalent.
You do realize that before the queue, when the server was "full" you would just get sent back to the login screen? I cannot see how the queue is not an improvement over having to manually try to login again and again and again...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah7118
Doesnt change the fact that both sides have them if you pick the right officers. This invalidates your concern
No, it doesn't. It just shows that both sides have a cheap ass attack.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-02-2010, 10:16 AM
also keep in mind that moving forward most of their input will come from Test server players and not us....

now my decade of MMO experience tells me that generally the people who inhabit test server on regular basis are... well... lets just call them synchophants who want to be buds with the devs and feel special. Their input is often at odds with the general playerbase. This was the case in spades in the CoX title. There were times when changes would go live that took most people 30 secs to figure out how to exploit because it never occured to the test people to use it in that way.

My own personal expierence is that Cryptic is really bad at PVE/PVP balance and PVP in general. Maybe they improved since CO. As an ancedote, when CoV went live I joined a guild. They tried the CoX PVP and all quit and went back to wow before their subs had even run out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Paynicus
Yes, I am aware. Doesn't change the fact that they're an absolute joke.
you know u can get disruptors that break it right? they just need to be twaaked change to break on hull damage
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrayel
I'll back this up and I'll just say this one thing and try to keep it short.

I read in a thread, posted to by a "Dev", that "WE" asked to have the logon queue implemented. I for one didn't ask for it. Many, and I mean MANY players screamed at you over it. I don't recall seeing the thread asking for it and it sure didn't contain the majority of the player base or it would have been a LOT more prevalent.

So, yes, keep a VERY level head and don't make snap decisions. Ensure what you do is balanced, which I'm sure you will do without even mentioning it. But, alas, the fear is there as other MMOs have not done this well.
I totally agree wit the OP but in terms of your comments here...

Actually we asked for it in the OB, we didnt have much choice... before the queue system when the capacity was low you would just keep hitting sign in and getting told the server was full and then bounced back to the main screen, you would then have to keep hitting log in over and over and over until eventually you got in which could of been over 15 minute so thats a lot of tries sow e asked for that until they got more capacity so weid but only by them not being prepared, hope when the capacity is increased you wont ever see the queing message anyay, i haven't so far...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
also keep in mind that moving forward most of their input will come from Test server players and not us....

now my decade of MMO experience tells me that generally the people who inhabit test server on regular basis are... well... lets just call them synchophants who want to be buds with the devs and feel special. Their input is often at odds with the general playerbase.
This has been the case for as long as MMO games have been out. Take Everquest, less then 10% of the gameplayers got to see most of the content in the Expansions as it was all based on the very vocal hardcore players (FoH ruined many a game). I KNOW there has to be a challange for the hardcore, and them being that (hardcore) they chew threw most anything in very short order and want more. When not playing as they have run XXXX 75 times in last week, slept 10 hours in past 4 days and have every peice of loot, they dont have anything left to do but be vocal in boards/forums.

While other players try different ships, classes, races and generaly dont care if they have the best loot and where max level a week before anybody else. They..err, um play and have fun.

To many games only worry about the Hardcore. One reason (god, i hate to mention it but...) WoW is so succesfull, the hardcore (though when compared to EQ, UO, and other older MMORPG's i hate to use that term in WoW) and the average players all have something they can do. WoW has simply not pigon holed any group, they add Raid, Heroic, but hey also add tradeskills, achievments, factions grinds (is that a good thing?) that joe shmoo in solo quest reward gear can do.

this is the reason WoW succeds and the rest servive. (opinion only)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 AM.