Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2010, 03:26 AM
it's a fun gimmick but it shouldn't be left in. I don't know any other MMO (bar champions) that has ranged attacks that you can choose the colour of.

It's nothing to do with PvP/PvE I rarely PvP and personally I'm already a bit bored with it.
Beam colour is something that's used to define the weapon type so you know what other people are using.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-02-2010, 03:29 AM
I hope it remains as it is sincerely badass, also each individual beam type has it's own graphic, the color of that should matter not.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 03:41 AM
It won't stay, the devs have already said it will go.

There is simply no point in having all these various different phaser/disruptor/cannon choices if you can just make everyone look the same.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
But why should PvE who don't care if disruptors are colored as phasers always have to bend over backwards and get whipped by PvP that have ruined great games like Champions with all their QQ?

The whole argument about it not being canon isn't a valid argument as most things in this game isn't canon, species, ships, weapons, uniforms to name a few.

Because pvp is open to everyone and both pve and pvp use the same weapons. It would require cryptic to provide a complete new set of equipment for pvp, or recode the graphics engine to disable the colour in pvp. Itís much easier to disable it altogether it is the solution requiring the least effort from the devs
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCaliber View Post
Because pvp is open to everyone and both pve and pvp use the same weapons. It would require cryptic to provide a complete new set of equipment for pvp, or recode the graphics engine to disable the colour in pvp. Itís much easier to disable it altogether it is the solution requiring the least effort from the devs

I thought PvE was also open for everyone.

I don't know if you have noticed but there are already PvP specific shops where you can only buy items with PvP medals. Make changes to those items.

But this doesn't require a solution as this isn't a problem. It is a feature that doesn't have anything to do wit t he mechanics behind the game. If someone get his/her behind kicked in PvP and they don't know what hit them they can look in the Combat log in the Chat window.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█. NCC-92872 .
ē TMT Fleet
ē Commander JohGeiz th'Shrox
ē Tactical Captain
ē U.S.S. Rainbow Warrior
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█.. TMT FLEET -.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-03-2010, 08:06 AM
People...

This is simple ship customization. I donít see how itís any different from putting parts of a ship together to make your own ship, or coloring you avatar species pink. It is just another way to express yourself through customization and as such should not be removed by any means. Isn't Crypicís staple feature the level of customization options provided in their games?

For those that like this feature and want to use it, I have posted a guide here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=100463
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Frankly, I love it. I'm a big Trek fan, and no, it's not canon, but niether is the whole rest of the game, so whatever. I mean, blue phasers is a whole lot less immersion breaking than seeing captain Anl of the USS Buttsekkzz flying around, or the "Spearchucker" that I still don't have a report button for.

Aren't there enough actual issues with the game (like having to do the same mission 3 times to get it to complete, or sorting the exchange in some meaningful way) that we can ignore taking out a feature that many people actually LIKE?

Like everything else, make it an option: "See people's custom weapon colors Y/N". Done.