Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Did the load drop last night?

I doubt Cryptic has had time to increase capacity of the hardware and software.

I assume that not everyone got their accounts activated, and some people will not be returning.

In the next few days, as more retail packages reach customers, the load will probably increase.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 08:20 AM
the problem is you assume HS was messed up, for all you know HS worked 100% as intended and was even more successful because issues were fixed prior to launch.

hindsight usually is 20/20... but not if you are blind
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Id
When things were falling apart there were twenty pages of rage threads...now there are only two or three threads about how well it went. It's a shame people only come out to comment about the negative.
I have absolutely no doubt that the DEVs, GM, IT, CS and PR folks were about as stressed as it was possible to be and I wanted to let them know that I NOTICED their hard work.

As to the prior poster, yea, they should have been doing it all along. Absolutely true. However, I wanted to express my pleasure that they got their **** together NOW rather than a MONTH from NOW.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Cool, another "good-work" threat.

Nice to see support for the team, it counterbalance all the violently whiny ones.

Again, nice job. You migth still have a lot to do, but it started well.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 08:26 AM
I honestly wasn't expecting to it be playable until the weekend. I had expected the server to crash several times during character creation, lots of rubber banding, lots of 10 min. waits between zones. NONE of that happend! It was flawless for me. 0 problems. This launch is equal to the smoothest launch ever, lord of the rings online. Considering sto has 10x the fans of lotro, that's quite a feat!

+4600 merit points to Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesden
I However, I wanted to express my pleasure that they got their **** together NOW rather than a MONTH from NOW.
I am curious about the " **** " word.

I am trying to guess, but it does not make sens
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
While I applaud the overall spirit of your post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesden
I was quite quick to criticize Cryptic for their total F'ed up headstart. Mainly because they did.
Uh, no....they didn't. Things happen unexpectedly in life in every context. This was absolutely no different. They were presented with issues they hadn't encountered before, and they've rushed to fix them as best and as quickly as they can. That's the norm in the MMO and online gaming industry. That doesn't mean 'they f'ed up'. Some games/companies/etc. are more fortunate than others in that regard, some aren't...and I guarantee you those who are employed at the ones who are would tell you the exact same thing.

This isn't a simplistic environment we're participating in, and many of us understand that going in, regardless of whether its this game/developer/publisher or the next one. That doesn't make it any less frustrating to go through at the time by any means, but 'they f'ed up'? Having unrealistic expectations of anything in life doesn't mean the person or circumstances surrounding eventual failure to meet those unrealistic expectations is 'f'ed up'. The problem in those cases lies squarely in the mirror.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2010, 08:29 AM
The head start was horrible, I agree. I didn't go mental over it though, the thing is if you try to view it from a less self-centered view it suddenly feels a bit less of a slap in the face. I mean, we got to play the game several days before others could and it was actually ready for launch, it was the perk of pre-ordering the game. True, we couldn't play all day long those days but let's say then it's 12 hours less of a headstart. Not a tragedy, at least for those that have something else to do when not playing STO, the rest can well, just do whatever, hopefully something other than reproducing and thus making Darwin roll in his grave.

I was a bit afraid though that the issue will persist through launch day totally messing it up but fortunately they fixed the stability issues, it raised my hope with the long-term future of the game. The business model may suck, but at least the developers and the tech people are on their toes so just keep it up!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkape View Post
I am curious about the " **** " word.

I am trying to guess, but it does not make sens
Starts with SH and ends with IT.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Id
They really did a spectacular job pulling it all together. I don't think anyone was expecting such a smooth takeoff. This may be one of the smoothest launches in MMO history (head start notwithstanding).

When things were falling apart there were twenty pages of rage threads...now there are only two or three threads about how well it went. It's a shame people only come out to comment about the negative.
i'm going to steal those last few lines for my sig, if thats ok..

people need to realise that this is the sort of ratio you'll see on the forums. people are far quicker to complain than they are to praise in general, and thats why forums always seem so negative. trying to judge a game on its forum alone would be like asking the Amish about the iPhone.. a really stupid idea.