Lt. Commander
# 241
02-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Installed, pretty straight forward.

Everything seems to work pretty good. I do see the small text issue you described, and I get occasional artifacting during high-action scenes. pressing ESC x2 fixes it tho.

I also get a video driver warning as the game starts. I'll play with it more later, but I like it very much so far.

ATI 2600 video on about a 2yr old iMac
Lt. Commander
# 242
02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle10 View Post
I have a Macbook Intel Core2Duo 2.0ghz with an Intel GMA 950 card. I know this doesn't work on this card, but does anyone know if I can upgrade my card at all? I'm dying to play this game! I would appreciate any help at all, if there is any...
Very few laptops have graphics cards that are upgradable. None of the Macs do... its stuck with what was in it when you bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfoil
Installed, pretty straight forward.

Everything seems to work pretty good. I do see the small text issue you described, and I get occasional artifacting during high-action scenes. pressing ESC x2 fixes it tho.

I also get a video driver warning as the game starts. I'll play with it more later, but I like it very much so far.

ATI 2600 video on about a 2yr old iMac
artifacting? havent seen that...

The warning is a current issue because STO doesn't know how to properly detect things with Wine... eventually we'll get it working a lot better.... its safe to ignore the message and just run default setting.
Lt. Commander
# 243
02-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Well I finally got the .hogg files downloaded and updated to the Beta 3.1 package. I made sure to make a backup of the .hogg files and copied only the Cryptic Studios folder into the new package. After ensuring that the screen settings were right, I turned on Anti-Aliasing to x2 in the launcher before actually going in-game. Unfortunately every time I enter the world (last time I was able to play I had just docked at the earth station), the game crashes and attempts to send a report to Cryptic.

I tried rebooting and trying again to the same end. Dunno what I'm doing wrong.

-iMac 24"
-3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
-2GB RAM
-Mac OS X 10.6.2
-NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS

**Update: I was able to have more success after starting over. This time I left the in game resolution lower that what I wanted and was able to actually explore the Earth spacedock for a while. Setting res to 1900 x 1200 causes the game to crash immediately upon entering the game. Setting it down to 1028 x 768 allowed me to play until I tried going to Spaceship Acquisitions.
Lt. Commander
# 244
02-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWes
Unfortunately every time I enter the world (last time I was able to play I had just docked at the earth station), the game crashes and attempts to send a report to Cryptic.

**Update: I was able to have more success after starting over. This time I left the in game resolution lower that what I wanted and was able to actually explore the Earth spacedock for a while. Setting res to 1900 x 1200 causes the game to crash immediately upon entering the game. Setting it down to 1028 x 768 allowed me to play until I tried going to Spaceship Acquisitions.
Try playing with AA off, or AA off on he launcher at least.... see if its different.

Also, some video cards may have issues with the AA in general, as others have started crashing at the same place... he other person posting was on a 8600 which is close to the 8800 driver wise...

Here is a couple things to test if you do not mind...

run WineskinSettings.app, go in Advanced, and Wineskin Tools.
Run regedit. in that go to current user, software, wine, Direct3D
look for the entry labeled "Multisampling" and change the "enabled" to "disabled"
then see if the game works...
if it does you'll have to use the /renderscale fix for the graphics bug as AA will not be available.

Make sure in that same place that useglsl is still disabled too... having that enabled causes a crash exactly like you describe.

if for some reason with useglsl disabled and multisampling disabled it still crashes, just for the heck of testing, try it with useglsl enabled.

I dont recall anyone with a 8800 testing it before, but the 8600 crash seemed to only happen after adding in the ability to enable AA, which comes from the Multisampling being enabled... so disabling that would be the first try to get it working.

also for testing, you could try running in Rootless in a virtual desktop vs fullscreen... shouldn't make a difference though.
Lt. Commander
# 245
02-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Great job you have done here!

I was able to get it to run on my quad core mac pro with 12GB of ram and a 512MB nvida card

The only odd thing is that it is very very choppy.

I lowered all of the settings in STO in the hopes that might fix it but it had zero effect.

Is there anything else I can do?

G-Man
Lt. Commander
# 246
02-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man67
Great job you have done here!

I was able to get it to run on my quad core mac pro with 12GB of ram and a 512MB nvida card

The only odd thing is that it is very very choppy.

I lowered all of the settings in STO in the hopes that might fix it but it had zero effect.

Is there anything else I can do?

G-Man
what 512mb graphics card is it....? the GPU matters more than the amount of memory it has even though people always seem to make a big deal about the video memory.

You can try disabling AA and using "Half Resolution" looks ugly but it fixes the graphics bug and has higher frame rates.... might really be needed especially if that 512mb card is like a Geforce 7300.
Lt. Commander
# 247
02-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Please send me a fleet invite as well. I'm very active and almost at the Lieutenant Commander rank
Lt. Commander
# 248
02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfish963 View Post
Please send me a fleet invite as well. I'm very active and almost at the Lieutenant Commander rank
I dont know who is gonna lead this fleet everyone keeps talking about..but as far as I know it hasn't even been formed yet... we need to get 5 people together, and someone needs to head all this up.
Lt. Commander
# 249
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I dont recall anyone with a 8800 testing it before, but the 8600 crash seemed to only happen after adding in the ability to enable AA, which comes from the Multisampling being enabled... so disabling that would be the first try to get it working.
I have an 8800 in my 8-core Mac Pro: I had the black screen and the "cannot create d3d device" error in the latest beta until I remembered to check the fullscreen/windowed/rootless settings and make them sensible again, now it's working just great.
Lt. Commander
# 250
02-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
what 512mb graphics card is it....? the GPU matters more than the amount of memory it has even though people always seem to make a big deal about the video memory.

You can try disabling AA and using "Half Resolution" looks ugly but it fixes the graphics bug and has higher frame rates.... might really be needed especially if that 512mb card is like a Geforce 7300.
System profiler says:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0640
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3386
Closed Thread