Lieutenant
Which to get, I see the dmg is higher for the dual heavy cannons, but they seem slower to fire, vs the rapid fire of the dual cannons. Which to get? I see alot of builds online with 4 slots of dual heavy cannons.
Captain
# 2
09-01-2014, 07:26 PM
If you are choosing between DHC vs DC, then DHC are equal or superior in every way that matters
Captain
# 3
09-01-2014, 10:25 PM
They both have their advantages over the other. The dual cannons offer a better sustained damage, since they only fire two shots per fire cycle. However, they dual heavy cannons offer the advantage of burst fire.

The way they cycle, you can actually combine them for very good results. Here is the way they work together: DHCs fire their first shot at the same time the DCs fire theirs. DHC=4 shots, and DC=2. Then, while the DHCs are on cool down, the DCs fire another two shots. When the DCs come off cool down, the DHCs are ready to fire again.

They both fire 4 shots in the amount of time the DHCs cycle. But, if you run an even number of them on the front, you will be able to hit the enemy with high spike damage, in the first shot. Then some sustained damage from the DCs, till the DHCs cycle again.
The problem with AFKers is not that the mission is boring. It is that they found a way to exploit the game, and other players. If it was that they are bored, then they would be playing it on advance. (About MIE)
Captain
# 4
09-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Thats all true but it doesnt matter. All that matters in this game is taking your target to zero hit-points, and DHCs have higher damage and inherent crit bonus that puts them miles ahead. Another bonus is you can get your 2 DHC shots off in a shorter window, which makes them work better in dogfights. They have the same firing angle, so no difference there. Procs are per-cycle so any proc bonus will be the same. The only area where DCs come out ahead is with per-shot bonuses (DEM, Omega-2pc, maybe 1-2 more), and you give up so much to get it that its not worth it.
Captain
# 5
09-02-2014, 07:20 AM
DHCS. Period, dont think more on this matter. Nobody usess single or just heavy cannons. Because they are a total waste. Imagine you could have dual beam banks, but with the fire arc of the normal beams, nobody will use regular beams. Something similar happens with cannons. Everybody uses DHCS because the damage output is 1000 times better than single cannons or heavy cannons. Even if the fire arc is smaller, it doesnt matter.
Captain
# 6
09-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Dual Heavy AP Cannons is the way to go.

Make sure they have ACC (otherwise they will shoot all over the place).
ACC: 10-20% or( higher if you can get your hands on them)
CSB: 40%

Time will only tell!
Career Officer
# 7
09-02-2014, 12:29 PM
I have been known to use DCs as a stopgap on characters that are leveling up or freshly minted 50's. They're a lot cheaper than DHCs on the Exchange, and work well enough to get you started until you've ground out snazzy Mk XII fleet or reputation guns. Other than being cheap though, they have no advantage, and you should be working toward a set of high end DHCs for all the reasons Ursus mentions. If you're buying your first set of guns on a character just to start pushing them through rep and fleet grind, don't feel bad about a set of Mk XI blue DCs off the Exchange. If you already have a set of guns, and are working for your high end stuff, go straight for the DHCs.
Captain
# 8
09-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Before Beam Overload was changed, I sometimes used one DC with three DHCs. With enemies that either don't regenerate shields, or regenerate them slowly, running all DHCs will allow you to kill them slightly faster. However, if you are facing enemies that regenerate shields quickly, I use to sometimes put one DC on my ship so that it will harass the shields till my DHCs came off cool down. When I didn't use the DC, I had a DBB.

It really depends on what you are looking for. I personally prefer a build that will allow me to have quick kills in PVEs, and STFs instead of higher DPS. When doing the missions, if I can kill things faster, it allows me to finish what I need to do quickly, and then help out others in the team.
The problem with AFKers is not that the mission is boring. It is that they found a way to exploit the game, and other players. If it was that they are bored, then they would be playing it on advance. (About MIE)
Captain
# 9
09-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandereffi View Post
Which to get, I see the dmg is higher for the dual heavy cannons, but they seem slower to fire, vs the rapid fire of the dual cannons. Which to get? I see alot of builds online with 4 slots of dual heavy cannons.
DC's fire faster, DHC hits harder +crit bonus.
U.S.S. Pyxis NX-92673 - ( Fleet Defiant ), U.S.S. Rukantha - ( Delta Class )
I.K.S. Faru Sadin - ( Fleet B'rel )
R.R.W. Rhadamanthys - ( Fleet T'Varo )

"Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." - Me
Career Officer
# 10
09-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Because of the game mechanics dual cannons eat more power than DHCs when used with turrets. It has to do with the firing cycles. So higher power = more DPS so go DHC.