Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 37
There are a few changes to the Advanced R+D reward boxes I am sure the majority of the player population would support.

1. The chances of Very Rare crafting materials being rewarded to players who complete Elite STF's should be increased. I would, at minimum, make it so that you get at least one of the VR materials guaranteed. The rest of the "possible" VR materials should be kept as a % chance. I have run a lot of Elite STF's (ground and space), and through my own personal testing, the VR material reward rate currently is at about 5%. If I will absolutely get one neural processor/cybernetic implant/isomorphic injection from running one... why not a single VR crafting material?

2. The types of VR materials rewarded from each of the Elite queues need to be redistributed for balance or made completely random. I understand the intent with limiting certain VR materials to certain queues is to get players to play all the different types of STF's, which I applaud. However there are some grave imbalances. With the current distribution there is only one outlet to get Dentarium and Radiogenic Particles. It also has the Voth space queues rewarding the same material as the Borg space queues. Why not the best of both worlds... assigned materials and random materials? Have space queue Advanced R+D reward boxes have a 34% chance to contain Trellium-K, 33% for Argonite Gas, and 33% for Radiogenic Particles. The same change could be made for the ground queues with Plekton, Craylon Gas, and Dentarium respectively.

These two simple changes would probably alleviate a lot of the issues currently faced with the current VR material distribution.

Space

The Cure Found = Trellium-K
Infected: The Conduit = Trellium-K
Hive Onslaught = Trellium-K
Khitomer Vortex = Trellium-K
The Breach = Trellium-K
Storming the Spire = Trellium-K
Undine Assault = Argonite Gas
Viscous Cycle = Argonite Gas
Crystalline Catastrophe = Radiogenic Particle

Ground

The Cure Applied = Plekton
Infected: Manus = Plekton
Into the Hive = Plekton
Khitomer in Stasis = Plekton
Undine Infiltration = Dentarium
Nukara Prime: Self Destructive Tendencies = Craylon Gas
Nukara Prime: Transdimensional Tactics = Craylon Gas
Defend Rh'lhho Station = Craylon Gas
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71
# 2
08-08-2014, 04:13 AM
You're spot on with the first request.

The second request I'm personally not so sure about. If we'd get at least 1 guaranteed VR material than we don't need them to be randomized. I quite like the fact that people play more than just Conduit and Vortex now. I'm running all the ground elite play on a regular basis and quite a bit of the space elites too. This wouldn't be possible if we go to a system that randomly rewards materials, since people are then less inclined to play the other queues too.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 37
# 3
08-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishkacm View Post
You're spot on with the first request.

The second request I'm personally not so sure about. If we'd get at least 1 guaranteed VR material than we don't need them to be randomized. I quite like the fact that people play more than just Conduit and Vortex now. I'm running all the ground elite play on a regular basis and quite a bit of the space elites too. This wouldn't be possible if we go to a system that randomly rewards materials, since people are then less inclined to play the other queues too.
It would still have you running space and ground STFs for materials as the space queues would only give you trellium/argonite/radiogenic and the ground queues would reward plekton/craylon/dentarium.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,425
# 4
08-08-2014, 08:19 AM
I think the point is to have us doing a larger variety of space or ground queues. Otherwise it's almost entirely Borg STFs.

I agree strongly that we should be getting at least one VR mat though, when the box itself is labeled with that mat.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 37
# 5
09-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I posted this a while ago, anyone else have constructive criticism/alternate ideas? Would be nice if the community team would post on the threads they read and hand off to the devs. At least give us something more than the feeling of being ignored. :-)

Last edited by colonelsanderz; 09-02-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: correction
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,233
# 6
09-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Ahhhh...
I thought I did something wrong, since all three of the Elites I did today gave me an Advanced R&D box, but No Advanced R&D item.
(my first forays into the newest additions of the Elite queue system)

There's something inherently wrong with labeling something as containing an Advanced Item, but then putting it behind a very small random chance of getting it...

Without including THAT in the description!

I feel like I'm being given the finger by the designers of this particular aspect of the game.

Looks like the new R&D is becoming more and more UNAPPEALING the more I find about it!!

Way to go Folks.

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
# 7 Crafting Materials
09-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Making elite events a gateway to high end gear is a good thing for the crafting system and the game. I can appreciate that it encourages all the elite missions to be played which is overall good for the gaming community. It also means that people have to earn the gear which is also a good thing. The bad thing with the crafting system is the random chance aspect especially when considering the gating in place for crafting an item anyways.

The crafting system is currently plagued by two instance of random chance which is a major turn off for players to bother with it. The first as mentioned in this thread is the chance to actually get the materials you need to craft with. As stated one very material should be awarded at a minimum for completing the elite instance with the chance to gain additional units. Second part of the chance system is the quality of the item being crafted. Now taken into account how hard it is to get the very materials needed and there is a chance you may not get the high quality item and it becomes a major turn off.

To review letís look at the gates that have been put in place on the crafting system:
1. Only Elites missions award very rare materials
2. Certain Elite missions are must be completed to obtain certain very rare materials
3. There is only a chance upon completing said Elite mission of being award said very rare material
4. The Elite missions have a cool down timer which prevents replay for at least 30mins regardless of successes or failure
5. Crafted items will require multiple and different very rare materials
6. Crafting only has chance of yielding top quality (desired) item

I wonít take into account that specific type of duty officer is required to actually craft a particular item or that there is timer for the material to be created or the dilithium cost also associated with the itemís creation. These could be considered gates as well.

This seems like overkill for the crafting system especially when compared to the reputation system.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 622
# 8
09-18-2014, 05:18 AM
And soon we need even more very rare particles, to make superior tech upgrade's (vr) to keep the dilithium price from upgrading as low as posible !!
Problem so far is i did 3 missions (defend a station against elachi's) cause i need Craylon gas and got 0.
To upgrade 1 weapon from mk 12 to 14 i need +/- 18, got 7 weapons = 118 total for just my weapons.
This system is even worse then the proto-type system, a chance and then need to pay dilitium !!
Proto-tech was a chance and you got your stuff !!
Bone1970 & Bone trader don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac's. BNE Fed Sci.
Bag of Bones & Bone Ugly don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Rom/Fed Tac. Bone & Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng's.
Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,022
# 9
09-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Obviously the distribution of materials was intended to get players to run the queues that were neglected before and to try new types of content. So I don't think they'll change that, and I don't think they should, either.

However, the boxes should definitely have at least one VR material. Most of them have none and that's just absurd.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,259
# 10
09-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelsanderz View Post
It would still have you running space and ground STFs for materials as the space queues would only give you trellium/argonite/radiogenic and the ground queues would reward plekton/craylon/dentarium.
I do have to agree with that 2nd poster on leaving the rewards where they are, and maybe either increasing the chance of VR drops or guaranteeing them on completion. The thing is, if you do it the way you're suggesting, people will just go to the easiest or shortest PvEs they can do like before.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 AM.