Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 81
02-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherio
I just don't see how an mmo that charges fees and initial costs can justify also charging for character slots.
Im not sure why you would think they have to justify it? The justification is clearly for profit which shouldnt be a surprise to anyone.

As long as its clear up front what they are providing and what they charge extra for I dont see any reason for them to excuse their capitalistic tendencies.

Im not judging them on this one because to me its neither good nor evil. It just simply is business.

I would be more inclined to judge, for example, if you only got 1 char slot and could only play human and could only play federation for your sub + up front costs. Im not judging their greed in this case because I think (imo again of course) that where its at is fair and reasonable. Is it different from other games in the industry ? Yes.

But then as I said as long as you know up front what the limits are and what they charge extra for then caveat emptor, and you cant point fingers at them for being unfair if you know what you are buying into. You can say they are greedy for sure. Evil, no ?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 82
02-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwind
Why are you playing in the awesomeness that is the "free" DDO game? I think some resturants charge to much for food. I simply don't eat there.
I love MMOs... I've played EQ1 wow, DDO, conan, lotro, warhammer... umm I'm sure there's others

anyway, I just want an MMO to be all it can be... and Star Trek just isnt shaping up to what it could be in my opinion
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 83
02-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frellthat View Post
Goodwind, here's an experiment you can run on your own to see how much you're being gouged by having to pay per character slot: Run out to your local Wal-Mart, go to the checkout lane, and buy yourself a 4GB thumb drive for $9.99. And then imagine how many hundreds or thousands of characters could be stored on that little thumb drive.
The STO servers are not running off thumb drives. For a guy who keeps claiming to be an expert, you keep making ridiculous comparisons.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 84
02-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwind
The STO servers are not running off thumb drives. For a guy who keeps claiming to be an expert, you keep making ridiculous comparisons.
No actually, on a larger hard drive it's actually much cheaper ($50 for 500 GB desktop, as opposed to $10 for $4GB thumb drive), but it should give you some idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 85
02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
And on that note... I must go to my chemical ecology class.

Closing thought for the day:

Why would someone spend her free 2 hrs before class and work hoping to make a valid point on the forums, instead of playing this awesome mmo she just purchased?

*bows out*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 86
02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frellthat View Post
No actually, on a larger hard drive it's actually much cheaper ($50 for 500 GB desktop, as opposed to $10 for $4GB thumb drive), but it should give you some idea.
Again Blade servers (you know the ones that Cryptic is using) Cost up to 5,000 dollars for a 500gb drive, I know, I work for the number one blade server co in the world, heck we invented the blade server. (Not saying names, I do not want a Flame war, if you know what co it is, please do not say.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 87
02-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frellthat View Post
No actually, on a larger hard drive it's actually much cheaper ($50 for 500 GB desktop, as opposed to $10 for $4GB thumb drive), but it should give you some idea.
If you buy a cheap 7200 rpm drive... a much smaller, but faster, Raptor will cost you much more.

Your comparison are junk, much like your argument.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 88
02-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't really need more than one. Wish I could sell you the other 4 I have.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 89
02-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frellthat View Post
B) A hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive... but only between Ferengi.
Yes only for a ferengi, cause in real life mister bit error rate wants to have a talk with you.

Consumer drives usually have bit error rate of 10^-14 while enterprise storage is 10^-16.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38 AM.