Lt. Commander
# 11
01-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timkatje View Post
Why is Cryptic installing this game in the Users\Public\Games folder on my Win7 system, which doesn't even exist until the installer runs? How is this a proper procedure. If this is an x86 application, it should, as it always has been, installed in the program files directory... in my case \Program Files (x86)...

To maintain my sanity, I force it to install where it should be installed.

The user's folders are for storing user files, not for running applications!

I consider this to be a bug.
AGREE 110% I've had enough of newer programs that follow this 'don't install to program files' bull@##% that MS is trying to push. Programs go in program files, simple as that. END of discussion!
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timkatje View Post
Why is Cryptic installing this game in the Users\Public\Games folder on my Win7 system, which doesn't even exist until the installer runs? How is this a proper procedure. If this is an x86 application, it should, as it always has been, installed in the program files directory... in my case \Program Files (x86)...

It is not a bug...go and read your other thread:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=1#post1399200

edit:
I actually install all my games on my main computer to D: drive instead of C: drive and it runs alot better.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:

Installing under Program Files will cause you no end of troubles thanks to a feature known as VirtualStore. Basically Vista/7 don't allow programs (normally) to write inside Program Files. This is fine for something fairly static like Word or Firefox, but for something that needs more fluid updating like an MMO this is painful. We try to fix up the folder permissions so this isn't a problem, but it doesn't always work and for reasons that are entirely beyond me it sometimes actually gets reverted. If you would prefer to run from ProgFiles I recommend flagging both the launcher and gameclient programs to run as Administrator, since that will also disable the file system virtualization.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Installing under Program Files will cause you no end of troubles thanks to a feature known as VirtualStore. Basically Vista/7 don't allow programs (normally) to write inside Program Files. This is fine for something fairly static like Word or Firefox, but for something that needs more fluid updating like an MMO this is painful. We try to fix up the folder permissions so this isn't a problem, but it doesn't always work and for reasons that are entirely beyond me it sometimes actually gets reverted. If you would prefer to run from ProgFiles I recommend flagging both the launcher and gameclient programs to run as Administrator, since that will also disable the file system virtualization.
So is there anyway to install it to say D or F etc i dont have games on my windows drive.
Lt. Commander
I have two files downloaded for STO

StarTrekOB_D2D_ST.0.20100108b.10.dlm

Star Trek ST.0.20100108a.0

They seem to be both 6 Gig....Which one is it??/Help?

And Im still downloading
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Madpaddy:

For the install, after you download the game and the setup autostarts or you click it. The setup will ask you where you wish to install the game. At this time you may select a different drive to install it to.

ethanADAMS:

This is just from what I have in my download folder, which was downloaded on 1-11. The downloader name is:
Star Trek Downloader ST.0.20100108a.0
After I ran this it downloaded a folder that it extracted/installed to a folder called:
Star Trek ST.0.20100108a.0
In the above folder there are two additional folders one a directx, other a piggs along with a setup.exe. After running the setup.exe it will ask you where you wish to install the game if you don't wish to install it within the default folders.
Lt. Commander
# 17 You think you got troubles
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I originally installed the game and it went to a file on my desktop (I have vista 32). The problem I have is where the heck did my character slot go from the beta? I installed the game from the disc to the program files where it belongs and it said I had two slots left. The only thing is my character is nowhere to be found on the list of characters you are allowed to create.

I want to know where my beta character went? I had tweeked the appearance and other attributes just the way I wanted them and now I've got nothing.

*grumble grumble*
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
All beta characters got wiped, as was advertised for weeks in advance. They impletmented a save option though, so you could save the appearance of yoru character and load it up into live.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
All beta characters got wiped, as was advertised for weeks in advance. They impletmented a save option though, so you could save the appearance of yoru character and load it up into live.
So how many character slots should I have? 2 or 3?
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
So how many character slots should I have? 2 or 3?
2 to start, you can unlock 1 extra Klingon slot later. You got 2 extra for purchasing the lifetime or 12 month subscriptions (though I think the offer has ended).