Lt. Commander
# 1 I need help, please
02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I really need some help because I'm that frustraited with STO right now, I'm on the verge of calling it a night. Permenantly.

I've reached LC 6 and the only mission worth a damn (in terms of skill points) is to kill a group of Hirogen who are vastly overpowered for my ship. I cannot continue and griding PvE doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere in terms of leveling up so I can buy a better ship. So, could someone please tell me the best and quickest way to gain skill points as a Fed?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I have played to lt Comm (level 11) and have never been without a quest/task to do. Hit the Comm badge near your map and see if anyone has a some for you??
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel_Chekout
I have played to lt Comm (level 11) and have never been without a quest/task to do. Hit the Comm badge near your map and see if anyone has a some for you??
Skimming the post doesn't help.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 11:29 AM
You didn't answer his question in your post though. Do you have all the quests you can get? If not, get them.

If so, stop looking to do only the highest value one. That's not really how the game works. You're supposed to do most of the quests if you want to avoid grinding. The quickest and best way to advance your character is to do the quests you have. Don't discount a bunch of quests because they "aren't worth a damn", whatever that means.

Also, don't be in such a rush to gain levels. Enjoy the journey because right now, there isn't anything to do at the end.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
quickest way to skill up is to do each and every quest you can find, you don't get a lot of skill points for simply grinding in this game, it was done this way so people get to experience most of the story episodes, however if you are running out of things to do for skill points you must have missed a lot of things, try going back to old sectors and looking for quests there.

sorry but this is all i can offer you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
If you're stuck and need to level up before continuing, you can always run through the Exploration Cluster missions. They are repeatable and not only give decent Player and BOff skill points, they'll earn you exploration badges that can get you better gear.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I am just curious about this. Have you been using the contact Starfleet button to obtain new quests? I have so many quests on my list its often hard to choose which to do.

Also I think some of the quests unlock as you travel to new sectors. Some you pick up from NPCs on stations or from ships in sector space.

I am at Commander-2 now but my crappy memory tells me you should have more options at that level.

I have made about a rank a day so far doing PvE missions, I tend to not even look at the rewards before I choose missions. I just keep busy at doing missions.

If your subjectively looking only at the rewards to determine the missions worthyness - perhaps you should reevaluate if the only mission you are willing to do is based upon higher than norm rewards but are to hard perhaps the dificulty is why they have higher payoffs. I have noticed that enemy abilities are getting better as I level up and many missions are rather challenging.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandajuice View Post
...stop looking to do only the highest value one. That's not really how the game works. You're supposed to do most of the quests if you want to avoid grinding. The quickest and best way to advance your character is to do the quests you have. Don't discount a bunch of quests because they "aren't worth a damn", whatever that means.
By doing the low level quests you activate more advanced quests. You can make Lt. Cmdr and STILL have about 20 quests to accomplish.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandajuice View Post
You didn't answer his question in your post though.
Oh, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinbob View Post
I've reached LC 6 and the only mission worth a damn (in terms of skill points) is to kill a group of Hirogen who are vastly overpowered for my ship.
The other missions are "patrol" missions so considering it takes about 15-20 mins patroling for 58 skill points and that I need 200 sp per skill level, let's do some quick Math:

I need 18700 sp to reach Commander. At 58 sp per 20 minutes, it's going to take me 6448.2 minutes or 107.4 gaming hours. At an average of four hours a day, that's almost 27 days before I hit Commander. I assure you, I will have quit before 27 days if I'm left with nothing but patrol missions, hence why I'm asking for a faster way.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Sulu gives patrol quests which are not repeatable. Sulu also gives defend the sector quests which are repeatable.

Grall gives exploration quests which are repeatable, scale to your level, and earn you exploration badges which can be traded in for upgraded equipment.

Quinn gives you episode missions which are not repeatable.

And someone gives you fleet actions which are repeatable.

Even for the ones that are not repeatable you can team up with someone and help them through it for a reduced reward.