Also, for any of the Cryptic naysayers out there that says that these people don't care about customer service, want to sell a broken game, only want their money, etc., read this entire thread. coderanger has been working with me patiently and diligently to try to get my issues squared away since early today. And he's been helping other people too.
It's just the launch period of the game. These things are expected and anticipated. Things will get better. Cynicism and throwing fits does not help things out. I haven't even gotten into the game yet, and I'm still keeping my patience in check and trying to work proactively instead of reactively with coderanger. I haven't even played yet, and I still have bought a lifetime subscription. Stay positive and keep your cool. I want to play the game just as eagerly as the rest of you who are experiencing problems with your game. And I know Cryptic wants you to play too.
Bloodpoint, this is starting to sound like a file system permissions issue.
If you feel like trying this, here is what I'd do. First, do you run XP, Vista or W7? Whichever it is, create a new account for your OS. I mean a new windows user account. This is just going to be a test to see if you have a corrupted user account. Once you've done that, and before you switch to that account, uninstall the game. Now go logon as that new user. Install the game from that new user. Also make sure that you set that new user as an Administrator account.
Now if that doesn't work, you may have some other issue. Uninstall the game. Defrag the drive. Reinstall. You may also want to run a CHKDSK on your drive to verify there are no issues with it.
Start -> Run -> "cmd"
At a command prompt, just enter "CHKDSK" by itself, no paramters. You just want to see what it finds first. If it indicates errors exist, you may want to use "CHKDSK /F" to tell it to fix them, or "CHKDSK /R" to tell it to find bad sectors and fix them. It's not going to let you do this right away because it you're in the OS already and it cannot lock it to fix errors, but it will post the request to be done on the next reboot.
Noone's going to believe me, I know. But after a night's rest... I decided to just click the Installation setup again just for fun to see what happens. Expecting the usual, I was surprised to find NO ERRORS this time. I actually did absolutely nothing different this time. My last attempt at fixing it was coderanger's last suggestion, and I packed it in for the night when it didn't work.
So, it actually looks like it's installing as intended. I'm happily surprised the old "keep trying no matter how broken you think it is" method actually worked for once.
Yeah, definately gonna defrag it. My computer seems to be a very finnicky piece of machinery these days. I decided to order a new Asus gaming laptop with my tax return money, so (hopefully) my issues will become far less prominent.