Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 09:28 AM
I played each one and I enjoyed them a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Played a lot of SFC and, of course, the original Star Fleet Battles. Doomsday edition, of course.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamemnon_b5 View Post
Player I, II, and III. Gotta say, the Romulan Firehawk from I is my favorite non-starfleet vessel in any of the games.
That is my favorite Rommie ship. But my favorite non Fed ships are the old Klingon battlecruisers, followed closely by the Bird of Prey.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetCaptainGarth View Post
Star Fleet Command, Star Fleet Command 2, SFC: Orion Pirates, Star Fleet Command 3

Great games. Anyone else here that used to play them? Actually, I still have Orion Pirates on my computer.

I enjoy space combat in STO but it couild have taken a few more queues from SFC I think.

SFC was strictly a space combat game, considered real time strategy/simulator. The game was basically a real time iteration of the pen and paper Starfleet Battles. SFC gave you a bit more of a taste of what combat might actually be like in the Trek universe as far as the actual management of a starship goes. You actually had to manage your power levels, repairs, shields, etc. Manually giving power to one thing...like increasing power to shields, would make your weapons charge slower. If your opponents weapons penetrated your shields and hit your ship it could knock out a phaser bank, torpedo bay, tractor beam, etc and you had to pick and choose what to repair because you had a limited amount of spare parts. If you didn't have enough parts to fix, say, a rear firing phaser bank, you just had to do without. Tractor beams and shuttles played an active role in combat. General damage to your ship affected movement speed. You could allocate energy toward countermeasures. (energy management was pretty important) In STO, you pretty much just keep shooting all weapons until you're destroyed...even at 1% hull strength.

But STO is great in that its 3d. In SFC you fight on one plane...no attacking from over or under an opponent. An STO's graphics beat the pants off of SFC. Then, of course, there's the ground aspect and everything that comes with an mmo.

But, while I play STO I do still bring up SFC sometimes.
Love those games and still have all of them!!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Had most of the Modules for the original Star Fleet Battles, played all three Star Fleet Command Games (and still have them ready to go). I kept hoping Id see 6 shield facings not just 4 when I started ST:O

In the SFC games I ran a Romulan Firehawk or NovaHawk....but my real fun was fooling people who didnt know what an original warbird could do with the Plasma R
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Yessir. SFC II was an amazing game.

SFC III on the other hand... STO is am MMO designed so that casual players (WoWers) can wrap their head around it, and have fun. It just launched, and it already has WAY more tactical depth/fun factor then SFC III.

SFC III is to the SFC series what Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was to Indiana Jones.
Lt. Commander
# 17 Star Fleet Command veteran
02-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Starfleet command veteran right here.

Have beaten and still own Starfleet command 1, 2, & 3

I've also beaten and still own Armada 1 & 2

I find that Starfleet command was a way better experience then this MMO. I thought that sinc I had so much experience with Starfleet command, I would be curb stomping at this game.

HOWEVER, it is quite the opposite. The flight controls for this game are so damn cumbersome. I don't fully understand why they wouldn't be able to port the same controls that were used in starfleet command. Far too often am I barely surviving against the computer just because I am spending too much time fumbling on my keyboard just to get the ship moving in the right direction.

STO has the opposite approach to steering and firing then Starfleet Command. In SFC, the mouse was used to steer, and the keyboard was used for fire, and manage weapons. STO on the other hand uses the damn mouse for absolutely everything, and the keyboard is only good for steering. I definately prefer the vector approach to flying instead of this free hand manuevering.

I couldn't help but feeling that I would rather be playing SFC then this
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by immagikman01 View Post
In the SFC games I ran a Romulan Firehawk or NovaHawk....but my real fun was fooling people who didnt know what an original warbird could do with the Plasma R
Yes, I learned that the hard way myself. I have only myself to blame. I underestimated that ship even AFTER watching Balance of Terror 1,949,930 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalamarth View Post
SFC III is to the SFC series what Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was to Indiana Jones.
Ouch. lol. You're right though. But it did make SFC more "approachable"...I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numba_I_AssAssiN
Starfleet command veteran right here.

Have beaten and still own Starfleet command 1, 2, & 3

I've also beaten and still own Armada 1 & 2

I find that Starfleet command was a way better experience then this MMO. I thought that sinc I had so much experience with Starfleet command, I would be curb stomping at this game.

HOWEVER, it is quite the opposite. The flight controls for this game are so damn cumbersome. I don't fully understand why they wouldn't be able to port the same controls that were used in starfleet command. Far too often am I barely surviving against the computer just because I am spending too much time fumbling on my keyboard just to get the ship moving in the right direction.

STO has the opposite approach to steering and firing then Starfleet Command. In SFC, the mouse was used to steer, and the keyboard was used for fire, and manage weapons. STO on the other hand uses the damn mouse for absolutely everything, and the keyboard is only good for steering. I definately prefer the vector approach to flying instead of this free hand manuevering.

I couldn't help but feeling that I would rather be playing SFC then this
I can relate. I had a time getting used to the controls. I still slip up. Sometimes I'd get infuriated because the ship wasn't responding to commands and I'd be flying up to nowheresville some place while a battle was going on beneath me then I'd look down and realize I'm trying to control the ship in 2 different ways at once (the right mouse clicking steering method AND using the keyboard lol) But I more or less have it figured out now.

And like I said earlier, STO is more like flying a fighter than commanding a starship. But I do enjoy the game and its been a long time since I've been really excited by an mmo.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
I can relate. I had a time getting used to the controls. I still slip up. Sometimes I'd get infuriated because the ship wasn't responding to commands and I'd be flying up to nowheresville some place while a battle was going on beneath me then I'd look down and realize I'm trying to control the ship in 2 different ways at once (the right mouse clicking steering method AND using the keyboard lol) But I more or less have it figured out now.

And like I said earlier, STO is more like flying a fighter than commanding a starship. But I do enjoy the game and its been a long time since I've been really excited by an mmo.
Well I seem to be doing nothing but slipping up. Even the simple controls of "follow target" or even reverse would save me tons of fumbling. All to often do I find myself pushing "Z" to fire weapons on preset 1, just to realize that my ship isn't firing any wepons.

I haven't gotten a handle on the controls yet. The only thing I manage to do now are flyby's. I fly by, unload an alpha strike, then concentrate on turning the damn ship around, then repeating these steps over and over. It's pathetic, and rudementary.

I guess there will be no more masterfull manuevering like I'm accostumed to. I was really looking forward to PvP, and curb stomping some of these other players. But with these new controls, I will probably avoid PvP like the plague
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Definitely not a lot of masterful maneuvering, no. Pretty much just keep clicking your "fire all weapons" tab and keep circling to minimize shield damage until you get an opening to put your torpedoes into. Not much else to manage or pay attention to.