Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
Hey guys its time to upgrade the graphics card on my old dell 8300 i meet all the advanced system requirements for the game but the graphics card.

i have an agp slot but also pci.. not pci express just PCI as well.
anyone know the best card for the money that will still make star trek look awesome but not put me in the poor house? lol

i mean i might fork out some real cash after all was just curious what you guys have found..also what you use if you have a system close to mine.

thanks!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
was thinking of the saphire radon card....but thats about 100 bucks.. hmmmmm
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
All I can say would be to check online some place like new egg or comp usa and see what they have in way of agp cards.

Don't thing you will find many agp cards now days but at lest it a try to keep your old system going.

It is getting to the point where you will have to get a new mother board/ computer to meet the system requirements of all the new games coming on the market.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Well all I can tell you is you get what you paid for, unless it is broken when you get it, then you just got screwed over.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 01:52 PM
i was able to play beta on my nvidia 6200 lol there was no problem with speed it just looked awful.. i figured it would .....

but yeah i may have to just order a new beast like i say compusa does have the saphire for 98 bucks it is an agp and is a recommended card by sto.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
AGP card wont pull it off to good.
I just went through this and ended up upgrading everything... just for this game
lol
The only decent performing AGP card out of the 6 i tried was an ATI x1300 AGP
by decent i mean you could play the game, not greatly but playable especially space missions.
I dont recommend an x1300 though, i recommend a pc upgrade
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Here is a Radeon 4650 1GB AGP 8x card for $74.99 (USD). That should be your best bet for an AGP card right now.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grajin View Post
AGP card wont pull it off to good.
I just went through this and ended up upgrading everything... just for this game
lol
The only decent performing AGP card out of the 6 i tried was an ATI x1300 AGP
by decent i mean you could play the game, not greatly but playable especially space missions.
I dont recommend an x1300 though, i recommend a pc upgrade
Theres still plenty of AGP cards out there that are far superior to the x1300.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Build a new PC. It's just not worth paying any kind of money for a card when the rest of your computer is goign to hold you back. And an agp or regular pci card just wont suffice for this game. It needs a pci-e card.

You can certainly run it on an agp card, however you will be stuck on low settings at 15fps or so. basically the game will be laggy and youll have bad graphics. It'd be far easier, and a much better investment of money to buy/build yourself a modern computer. Especially because it'll last you another few years.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Build a new PC. It's just not worth paying any kind of money for a card when the rest of your computer is goign to hold you back. And an agp or regular pci card just wont suffice for this game. It needs a pci-e card.

You can certainly run it on an agp card, however you will be stuck on low settings at 15fps or so. basically the game will be laggy and youll have bad graphics. It'd be far easier, and a much better investment of money to buy/build yourself a modern computer. Especially because it'll last you another few years.
Not necessarily. A fleet mate of mine runs the game without a hitch on a P4 3.0ghz with 2GB Ram and a 4650 512mb Slimline AGP8x card.

OP: What are the rest of your system specs? Processor? Ram? OS?