Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway
Login

Lt. Commander
I have a Windows 7 Pro AMD Quad Core PC w/ 4GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT 256MB . I have a Wingman Extreme 9 button Flightstick w/8 way hatch. Windows 7 detected and installed it was when I upgraded ti Win7, and the stick calibrated and worked fine in ST:Legacy. Not so in STO, but I wasn't surprised by this. I have a number of avid MMO gamers around me, and the said not to expect support on this. I read the forums and was hearing that you had to get software from the manufacturer of the device you use, and the software would create the inter face. So, the following is what I did for my Logitech...

1. Download the LGS v5.08 (Logitech Gaming Software) and install it with the device attached:

http://logitech-viva.navisite.net/we...lgs508_x64.exe

Install STO if you haven't. Setup and launch STO with all the present patches - click "engage" and go into the game. Then close the game.

2. Configure the LGS software withall your settings, but DO NOT SET THE THOTTLE. I did and it was slightly on. When I rebooted, it started filling the text boxes in any open window with Q's. Then in the upper left is an area to link and launch software from the LGS program - point it to the GameClient.exe file on your C:\drive (the easiest way is to search for the file and figure out the location). Launch STO from the Logitech software once, and let it NOT find the server and go to a login screen. go to the upper right hand corner and reduce to a window.

3. Launch the game from the normal STO Desktop Icon - login - patch - engage. Wnen you get to the character selection -reduce this screen from fullscreen to a window. Close the other login window. The Logitech window should still be open. Select you character and play the game. The flightstick will work with a fraction of about a 1/10 of second delay. I seemed to notice it at first, but after the first space battle you don't seem to notice it as much.

Your mouse is now able to be devoted to moving views and your flightstick can handle ship/character movement and weapons. I found that I also use the mouse for shields. I just center the mouse and divert energy to all the shields at once when needed.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Joystick Support or Bust!
02-05-2010, 09:03 PM
I downloaded this software for Win7 64-bit and installed it for my Logitech Extreme 3D. It works flawlessly for what you can actually bind keys to. Don't try binding equivalent slash commands though, it gets messy real quick. You don't even have to go into all the elaborate launch and relaunch of the game as the OP said if you set up the profile first and say map WASD to the joystick before starting STO. That part works like a champ for me. I put spacebar on my trigger and was flying around fine. It's the camera view that sucks atm.

The main problem with using -any- joystick right now is that there is no way possible to put your camera into chase cam view behind your own ship and lock it there. You can lock your camera on yourself (try hitting F1 / Home / X) but it floats and pivots about your ship.

(Oh and before you bridge view guys jump in and say that's what we want... it's not. How the heck are you going to be effective in combat if you can only see out the viewport on your bridge while trying to fight a space battle?)

The other option I was hoping to employ is to use the PoV hat to control my camera while steering with the joystick. Unfortunately you can only move the camera around freely by using advanced slash command that crash and burn once combat starts. If there was a way to map camera movements similar to how you move your camera when you right click and drag your mouse then this would work great. Heck if I could just map cam left/right/up/down to my PoV hat once I locked my cam on myself then I could use my thumb to keep my camera in chase cam behind me while using the joystick.

Cryptic just needs to realize that there are tons of people who want to use joysticks with this game, that there are other MMOs that allow joysticks and just give us a chase cam camera view. All the 3rd party software that we already have access to will work just fine if we can simply bug the devs till they give us chase gam.

I would eat a tribble right now if Cryptic would allow me to make full use of my G13 and E3D and never have to put my hands on the keyboard while in combat.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 10:18 PM
My g19 keyboard was running just fine till today, i had my g keys programed with alt and ctrl options and now nothing works.

there is no reason to disble the features of a keyboard that supports many games.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
anyone do this with a CH flightstick yet? i am having a bear of a time decifering the controller interface.

be better if the game came with onboard joystick support. this game screams for it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
yep im in the same boat, cant figure out how im gonna do the mouse camera viewing on my joystick...would be nice if they had "configure joystick" option like many other games (that dont charge you per month).
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender2010 View Post
yep im in the same boat, cant figure out how im gonna do the mouse camera viewing on my joystick...would be nice if they had "configure joystick" option like many other games (that dont charge you per month).
If your joystick have a "rudder" control like a twisting handle, you could maybe program that action to look around. IDK, I don't use a JS to play, but it might be worth looking at.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Staying Alive...
02-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Tuesday, 2 /23/2010
Lt. Commander
# 8 Common....
02-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraevac View Post
If your joystick have a "rudder" control like a twisting handle, you could maybe program that action to look around. IDK, I don't use a JS to play, but it might be worth looking at.
On the 6th was the last reply/responce to this thread and after that...complete silence?!
Common and please dont start to act like Blizzard.....plz listen to the feedback and do sonthing with it ohterwise this game will be doomed (like all the other mmorpg's) to die a quick death.

In a space game joystick should always be there.....atm I am kinda disappointed as I bought the game instead of trying it out with a buddy key. As a left hand player (mouse oj the left side of the keyboard) especially the space battle are kinda hard...not now ofc because I am a complete n00b but soonisch it will be.

So please build joystick/pad support especially for the space fights.

Ty very much in advange!!
Lt. Commander
# 9 silience
02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragone
On the 6th was the last reply/responce to this thread and after that...complete silence?!
Common and please dont start to act like Blizzard.....plz listen to the feedback and do sonthing with it ohterwise this game will be doomed (like all the other mmorpg's) to die a quick death.

In a space game joystick should always be there.....atm I am kinda disappointed as I bought the game instead of trying it out with a buddy key. As a left hand player (mouse oj the left side of the keyboard) especially the space battle are kinda hard...not now ofc because I am a complete n00b but soonisch it will be.

So please build joystick/pad support especially for the space fights.

Ty very much in advange!!
And no1 seems to bother.....o m g
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragone
On the 6th was the last reply/responce to this thread and after that...complete silence?!!!
Im very much considering buying a joystick for this game, so bumping here..