Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acyl View Post
Right. If you check the info, what Science ships actually get is:

Beam: Target Shields I, Beam: Target Weapons I, etc.

Tactical officers can get Beam: Target Shields II, Beam: Target Weapons II, etc, as normal Lieutenant-grade skills.

Hypothetically, the Science ship versions are 'Ensign'-grade versions of those Tac officer powers. Except ensign-grade versions of the Beam: Target powers don't actually exist as trainable BO skills.

This means the Tactical officer Lieutenant skills are better than the Science ship equivs. They're grade II, not grade I. But of course Science ships get theirs for free.
Not just the grade differences.. they work differently as well.

From what I have seen, the powers given by the BO skills will give a guaranteed hit to the subsystem in question, where the sci ship innate ability gives a CHANCE to hit, and if it misses, will debuff that system for a short time.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
Not just the grade differences.. they work differently as well.

From what I have seen, the powers given by the BO skills will give a guaranteed hit to the subsystem in question, where the sci ship innate ability gives a CHANCE to hit, and if it misses, will debuff that system for a short time.
Huh. I gotta go test that again. I'll take your word for it though - that makes sense.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acyl View Post
Huh. I gotta go test that again. I'll take your word for it though - that makes sense.
Definitely needs more testing to make sure, but that's what we were seeing in beta with it. And, to my mind, I think it's great hehe After all, the BO skill would be one you really have to pay into to get it working, whereas the ship given one is a freebie. Would make sense to have the BO ones be more powerful overall

Anyhoe, either way, the ability to target subs is great. I use it constantly lol