Lt. Commander
# 51
02-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Are beam weapons bugged atm? I notice that the 250' arc weapons actually do more to enemy shields even when sitting on the mob shooting straight with just one than a dual cannon or the dual beam one.. not sure if it is bugged or not but it really appears as though the (DPS) rating of weapons is extremely wrong..

Anyone able to confirm or deny this? Seems like beams hit faster than they should currently.. Cannons and the other are more tactical since you need to position correctly to use them but even flying head on my beam seems to drop shields faster.. need input please =)
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasorine
the listed cooldown on the info is the recharge on top of the 1 second global, not the total amount of time it takes for the gun to recharge (which is strange as torpedos and mines have it correctly done)

So for cannons and dual cannons that list as 1 second, it actually takes them 2 seconds to be ready to fire again, heavys state 2 but take 3 seconds to be ready again. However the 1 second global is how long it takes for the gun to fire, with the dual and single firing 4 shots in that cooldown and heavy firing 2.

What that means is if you have a single light cannon, you will be doing on average 2 shots a second (4 shots in a second with a second downtime) with a second one you double that to the 4 shots every second.

with a single heavy you get 1 shot every 1.5 second average until you put more of them on, with 3 heavies giving you the 2 shots a second.

This isn't conjecture or theory based on numbers, this is what tests have actually resulted in. This means that 3 heavy cannons will be more damage then 2 dual cannons, however its at the expense of an additional weapon slot being used.

The DPS calculated on the cannons tooltips do not factor in the 1 second global cooldown that the gun will have to take on top of the listed cooldown.

Mines and torps don't toggle for a duration therefore thier recharge timer started near instantly. All energy weapon have a toggle max that is listed at the top of the stats all beams are 4 which equals 4 seconds, all non heavy cannos have a 2 which is 2 second and heavys are 1. Look at any skill that is a toggle you will see a toggle max number at the top always. Tachyon beam is a 3.6 second toggle max, Extend shields a 30 second toggle. Recharge doesn't kick in till after the toggle is done firing. Just look at beams they fire for 4 seconds then you see a 1 second recharge pop up.

That is why if in fact dual cannons are doing all thier shots 1 second and be able to fire again in 1 second they are bugged as they are doing 83% more single beam dps then a heavy and 150% more single beam damage then a single beam when they should be doing the same damage as a heavy just in a more dps style versus burst.

All cannons seem to follow a damage shot every .5 seconds to reach thier designated toggle max time and recharge for the damage/dps numbers. All Beam weapon follow a 1 second damage tic to reach thier designated toggle max time and recharge for the damage/dps numbers.

The DPS calculated on a cannon's tooltip don't need to figure a global cooldown as it calculating a single weapon which has a 1 or 2 second cooldown already as alll energy weapons do. If what you said is true again why would only a dual cannon have the wrong tooltip and do 250% of a single beams damage.

All my numbers i used for the first post percents is using all the same mark equipment using thier damage, dps, toggle max, recharge.

These are the numbers off a mark 6 set of energy weapons. Can do the numbers and calculations if you like but this is what they are suppose to do and if dual cannons are in fact doing what you say they are the only thing i have found in game that doesn't follow thier toggle max number and should be bugged as they get way to much damage bonus by cutting out 33% of thier cycle time they are suppose to be balanced around.
type--damage--dps--toggle max--recharge
sb--159--127--4--1
db--212--169--4--1
tu--072--096--2--1
sc--115--153--2--1
dc--160--213--2--1
hc--319--213--1--2
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Why isn't all of this information given in the game? It's the same deal with the skills, item specs, etc (I have no idea wtf +5 to sensors means). It's like they made a decision to purposely be as "cryptic" as possible.

Part of my job is software testing so I know devs aren't usually usability-minded, but a big game studio should have people dedicated to usability.
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Why isn't all of this information given in the game? It's the same deal with the skills, item specs, etc (I have no idea wtf +5 to sensors means). It's like they made a decision to purposely be as "cryptic" as possible.

Part of my job is software testing so I know devs aren't usually usability-minded, but a big game studio should have people dedicated to usability.
Science and Tactical console and deflector dishes bonuses usually appliy to the starship captain skill of the same name. Sensor in this case would be starship sensors in the operation tree of your captain skills this skill boost all sensor based skills which are the skills listed under sensor array, sensor probes and astrometrics as sensor is a Lt Com rank skill it boost a subsection of the tree, Lt skill boost all the tree(except engineering/ground tree cases and away teams) and all Com., Capt. and Admiral skill boost only those specific skills. So for items ons with the general boost are better as they buff more skills compared to the specific ones.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluhi View Post
Science and Tactical console and deflector dishes bonuses usually appliy to the starship captain skill of the same name. Sensor in this case would be starship sensors in the operation tree of your captain skills this skill boost all sensor based skills which are the skills listed under sensor array, sensor probes and astrometrics as sensor is a Lt Com rank skill it boost a subsection of the tree, Lt skill boost all the tree(except engineering/ground tree cases and away teams) and all Com., Capt. and Admiral skill boost only those specific skills. So for items ons with the general boost are better as they buff more skills compared to the specific ones.
unless your specializing in certain things or have limited slots.
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluhi View Post
That is why if in fact dual cannons are doing all thier shots 1 second and be able to fire again in 1 second they are bugged as they are doing 83% more single beam dps then a heavy and 150% more single beam damage then a single beam when they should be doing the same damage as a heavy just in a more dps style versus burst.
it may be a bug, it may not be, things where changed lots in the OB and tooltips weren't really updated as well.

The cannons/dual cannons do go into a 2 second toggle but all their shots are off by time a second cannon (1 second after pressing the fire first cannon button is pressed) is firing. And at the end of the toggle the cannons are already cooled down and ready to fire again.

The DPS amount on the tooltip is the amount they'd get if their total cooldown was 3 seconds, but the now get ready in 2 seconds... So yes something is a bit iffy but the mechanics are as written.

If they bump it up to 3 seconds cooldown a third dual cannon would be doable but there would be no difference between duals and heavy duals damage over time wise. So if things are incorrect the best bet would be to have them tweak the dual cannons damage down to coincide with the current cooldown.

Also point out that turrets fire off all 4 of their shots in the first second of their toggle and are back again at the end of the toggle.
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Is the mine launcher supposed to trigger a cooldown in the torpedoes as well? I find this feature very bothersome as it really screws up my timings and about 50% of the time it causes my heavy plasma to not fire at all.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just my ship being retarded.
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Great info, will have to spend some more time fully digesting it all. I do have a couple questions though...

I think I know the answer to this one but just want to check since it is not specifically stated. Beam weapons (i.e. 250 degree beam array for instance) do not have a shared cooldown no matter how they are slotted? So you can stick two fore and both fire on their own cooldowns?

Also, did I read correctly from the OP that a plasma torpedo lauched with the high yield BOFF skill is shootable but regular plasma torpedos are not?

The various consoles that buff weapon types (i.e. beam +X or disruptor +Y) is that a direct damage add to each firing (each beam or cannon or torpedo)? And do these stack, I have been told multiple console bonuses of same or different value/type all stack.
Lt. Commander
# 59 reg. duals vs heavys cannons
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
I agree with 2 reg dual cannons loadout is good for now, but ive tested 3 heavys as well and it seems the 3rd 1 isnt fireing just as it woulkd be with the 2 reg duals. Can someone confirm that 3 is the way to go because im not seeing it.
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Perhaps someone can tell me the difference between tactical consoles that affect general torpedo damage and those that affect a specific type (like plasma projectiles) So if I have a console that gives +11 to Torpedoes and one that gives +15 to Plasma projectiles will that +15 be better to use if I have a plasma torpedo launcher?