Lt. Commander
# 21
02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telaura View Post
Don't say "spaceship." The other children will laugh at you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoras_Serenitus View Post
Starship and: Hahhahah!
Fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markavenger View Post
From what I understand when it says you can train a BO the skill, you can only train up skills in your career path, as a tactical captain you can train BO tactical skills but not BO Science skills.
Oh look, someone who's actually contributing. Yeah, I checked this as well and it's correct. An Engineer Captain can't train, say, Torpedo: High Yield III to a Boff, you need to be a Tactical Captain to train that skill.

Hopefully in the future we'll be able to somehow "de-commission" officers that we've trained so that we can trade them. As of right now, if you aren't the right division to train a skill, you need to hope a green or blue officer you are awarded has it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen42 View Post
For T1 and T2 skills, I'd say it isn't worth it to skill up higher than 7/9 because of diminishing returns, unless it affects something that you want to have as much as possible of (for example, I always max out Spaceship command because I want all the hull and turn radius I can get).

For T3 and higher skills, though, the diminishing returns isn't nearly as bad, and so maxing out a skill gives you a better benefit than it does at lower levels.
The returns are still diminishing however when compared to what that one rank would get you in another skill you had no points in.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Not really worth it. The only benefit is that you get to teach your personal skill to BOs, and I'd rather ask or even pay someone to do it for me and spend the skill points in other boxes for more bang for the buck.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I'd say it is going to depend on your build.

Some skills taper off quickly and severely. Most of the very general, T1 skills do this. From 7 to 9 you gain 1% for 200 points. In the T2 skills you gain more for what you are spending but it applies to fewer abilities.

I've got a Science captain who is using lots of diverse skills. He's taken things to 7/9 at T1 because beyond that the payoff drops. He'll take some things to 4 or 5/9 later because that's where the break-point is. You can actually look in the training window at *what* the payoff is. Select the skill and it will tell you how many points each rank is worth in a smaller window the to the right side.

Figure out what you want to be good at and then figure out how to get the most efficient set of numbers for that.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2010, 02:46 PM
By the way you can only train skills in your field, for example emegency energy to shields 3 can only be trained by engineers, and high yield torpedoes can only be trained by tac officers, even if you max it out.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGarrett
The returns are still diminishing however when compared to what that one rank would get you in another skill you had no points in.
This is true, but there are only so many skills to invest in, especially if you have a reasonably focused build. On a T3+ skill, once you've invested your second rank, the third rank gives you 6 while every rank after 5 gives you 4. Needless to say, you aren't going to be able to spend enough points to go from Commander to Captain only putting 2 levels in each skill, and you don't need points in every Commander skill anyway. Still, if you can't find enough skill points to improve every skill you want at a tier, it's good to remember that level 5 is a decent stopping point (if only two-thirds as effective as maxing the skill).
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I just found out that spending more than 6 points in "Starship Engine Efficiency" is a complete waste.

Up to rank 6, each skill point was extending the time my EPS Power Transfer ability would stay up for. After increasing that skills rank to 7, nothing changed, and just in case it was a glitch/bug I went to rank 8, with no change to the EPS Power Transfer ability.

Now, maybe "Starship Engine Efficiency" affects Emergency Power to Engines past rank 6, but I wouldn't know because I think Emergency Power to Engines is a waste as an Engineer piloting a Cruiser class vessel.

So there's a tip to any of you skilling up "Starship Engine Efficiency" for the boost to EPS Power Transfer. Don't rank it up past 6. I won't get my points back until they implement a Skill Point reset option
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko
I just found out that spending more than 6 points in "Starship Engine Efficiency" is a complete waste.

Up to rank 6, each skill point was extending the time my EPS Power Transfer ability would stay up for. After increasing that skills rank to 7, nothing changed, and just in case it was a glitch/bug I went to rank 8, with no change to the EPS Power Transfer ability.

Now, maybe "Starship Engine Efficiency" affects Emergency Power to Engines past rank 6, but I wouldn't know because I think Emergency Power to Engines is a waste as an Engineer piloting a Cruiser class vessel.

So there's a tip to any of you skilling up "Starship Engine Efficiency" for the boost to EPS Power Transfer. Don't rank it up past 6. I won't get my points back until they implement a Skill Point reset option
Did you see any improvement in Engine power levels? If your engines aren't set to a high level, the efficiency skill will also improve those, but we don't know where the breakpoints are, so there might be no benefit there after level 6 either, depending on your power preset for engines.