Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Not even just costly, it could throw you back quite significantly in your skill progress if you get podded.. But thats EVE and not STO

I agree that some kind of failure would be nice but then again, where do you draw the line? After all you cannot save the game so if the failure has massive consequences it will ruin all the fun..
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Cmdr.Kork
Not even just costly, it could throw you back quite significantly in your skill progress if you get podded.. But thats EVE and not STO

I agree that some kind of failure would be nice but then again, where do you draw the line? After all you cannot save the game so if the failure has massive consequences it will ruin all the fun..
Agreed. Complete failure without a chance of redoing the mission can be a great turn off. Which is why the majority of MMO's tend to put more emphasis on mission difficulty rather than a definate chance of failure.

Plus in order to allow someone to fail something without being able to repeat it, the devs have to provide an alternative replacement mission. Which implies that the game would have to be overflowing with quests. And i doubt that is the case
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
what mmo's are actually hard?

what mmo's can you not repeat a "failed" mission that takes ten minutes at most.

p.s. this isn't eve.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltec
You can fail in eve. Quite badly infact.
Yes, but you can repeat the missions in EvE.

The real failure comes from the player created aspects of the game, not the game itself. Most MMOs don't have that.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 06:29 PM
imho, i would think that a 2 hour mission and then getting fail and have to restart would be a bit harsh.

But the smaller 15-20 minutes missions would be nice, like in the example i gave with the CO mission.

It doesnt have to be extreamly harsh when you fail, like having to restart at the last checkpoint and reset the mission only from that point.

ex: sometimes we have missions with different stages. You have space fight, then you have to beam down and fight, and then beamup and fight again. If one were to die, the mission could simply reset at the stage the player was at, not reset the whole mission. Enough for the player to have some good challenge and a bit more fear of dying.

.02$