Lt. Commander
# 31
02-03-2010, 07:33 AM
The stuttering movement with the analog stick is something I've always noticed when you are moving around lots of other players... like it's polling the controls less frequently, maybe to reduce lag in areas with lots of activity or something. If I go to the Admiral's Office, for example, it works fine. It also usually works fine when I'm on away missions solo. That's partly the reason I also bound the dpad to movement as well -- no stuttering on the dpad with the non-analog movement (plus I can double tap a direction to roll, which doesn't work on the stick for me).

I also figured out that mapping TrayExecByTray x y instead of UseTraySlot0 x kept my hotbar button text from being overwritten, so other than the laggy analog stick movement in crowded areas, I'm pretty happy with the 360 controls now.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goban
I'm actually getting the same thing when using the 360 controller. Space combat works great, but on the ground my guy stutters forward. Looks like they fixed one thing and broke another.
Me too, also when I try to back up it hates it unless I rebind it every time I beam down.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Raymond, can you post a list of cammands you used to bind your controller for those of us who really suck at this sort of thing?
Lt. Commander
# 34 mapping
02-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeinone View Post
Hey guys. I had the controller all set up and working great for my ground combat but after todays launch my movment on the left thumb stick is not working right. I had left it as default. The game picked it up and work great. now when I try to move its all most like lag. My guy studders forward. If I try to bind it, backwards wont work and turning isnt right. Any ideas? Thanks
yeah, movement will work by default, but I found it to be oddly sporadic. (sometimes on, sometimes off) you will need to map movement to the stick in your keybindings menu. simply select the slot for secondary bind for each direction and push on the stick to correspond. (this is one of the few binds the menu will recognize without a /bind command line in the chat window!)

AN IMPORTANT NOTE:
back is currently bugged, and mapping it will actually make you stutter forward! (does for me, anyway) best to leave it unmapped for now.
Lt. Commander
# 35 oops
02-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasic
Raymond, can you post a list of cammands you used to bind your controller for those of us who really suck at this sort of thing?
crap I was totally supposed to do that last night and spaced. will upload tonight, 2/3/10.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks you rock. will save me houres of fiddling with it..
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Google Xpadder.

You can assign keyboard controls to the controller as opposed to binding them through the game.
It's also incredibly customizable to the point where you can hurt your brain, but if you stick with standard key assignment it's very simple and straight forward.

Something to use for now until the control scheme is tweaked to perfection in the coming months.

Just like to remind everyone that the game is still, technically, in it's playable developing stages. It'll be a solid year, year-and-a-half before all the glitches are worked out and the team can focus more thoroughly on graphical and interface improvements, server lag/load and eventually expansion.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyniaer View Post
Google Xpadder.

You can assign keyboard controls to the controller as opposed to binding them through the game.
It's also incredibly customizable to the point where you can hurt your brain, but if you stick with standard key assignment it's very simple and straight forward.

Something to use for now until the control scheme is tweaked to perfection in the coming months.

Just like to remind everyone that the game is still, technically, in it's playable developing stages. It'll be a solid year, year-and-a-half before all the glitches are worked out and the team can focus more thoroughly on graphical and interface improvements, server lag/load and eventually expansion.
I do have xpadder installed and have attempted to use it with STO, but due to STO partially working with the 360 controller by default, the controller tends to be finicky IMO when using xpadder with the game. Mainly I have issues with the camera. Xpadder does work great for most any other game that doesn't have some sort of native joypad support.

I'm not faulting the game or the devs, as it was a nice surprise that they slipped in native Xbox 360 control just before going live as it made space combat much more enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 39 cost
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
doesn't xpadder cost money? I've heard that it's pretty great, but I was looking for a zero cost solution, so I bound everything using console commands.

I got the setup I want, and it only cost me a tiny piece of my soul as I spent 6 hours learning how to do it! And The up-side is that I'm giving it away for free now! (hey, wait a minute...)
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Hell, I already owned Xpadder from a long time ago. I just updated it for the sake of Windows 7 support because I haven't used it in a while. People who donated, apparently, get the updates for free after the developer guy started charging for it.

Anyway, yes, I've just now noticed this. There are some things already bound to the 360 controller, but apparently it's up to us to figure out just what they are? I have learned that Left Trigger + A = Power #7... O_o
Would've been nice had the Devs actually given us the 360 controller layout. Perhaps they did and I just haven't found it yet?

I'll be patient for now... Hopefully they straighten it out in the very next update.