Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2010, 05:27 AM
If you're running two cards, have you tried disabling SLI support while running STO? Many new games have problems with twin card setups, and most require "fixes" by NVIDIA and potentially the game developer. In all of those cases, disabling SLI for the game giving you the problem, will fix it. Definitely worth trying, and upping your resolution back to what you were running originally.

I run STO in 1920x1080 on a GTX 280, and have no problems. NV recently released drivers though, so I'll be updating anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryGuy View Post
JEEBUS, posting dxdiag in a thread that has maximum chars and time restrictions is STOOPID. lol
Indeed, www.pastebin.com remember that one

As for swithing to a lower res working, it's not that odd that it works, less resolution is less texture memory required. 320mb is kinda on the low side these days. That said, it shouldn't crash the application completely, but I don't know how hard it is to program around that. Alternatively you could probaly lower de details on everything. Especially things like texture sizes and model complexity.

Yes, I know you are running SLI, fact is that both cards still need to render half the scene but need to know all the objects / textures in there, so basicly you have two cards with 320mb, both containing all the textures and all the models. Thats why you are usually better off with a single good card then two med-ends in SLI.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazman76 View Post
If you're running two cards, have you tried disabling SLI support while running STO? Many new games have problems with twin card setups, and most require "fixes" by NVIDIA and potentially the game developer. In all of those cases, disabling SLI for the game giving you the problem, will fix it. Definitely worth trying, and upping your resolution back to what you were running originally.

I run STO in 1920x1080 on a GTX 280, and have no problems. NV recently released drivers though, so I'll be updating anyway.
Yes, I have disabled phsyx and sli, was still giving me the crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepkever View Post
Indeed, www.pastebin.com remember that one

As for swithing to a lower res working, it's not that odd that it works, less resolution is less texture memory required. 320mb is kinda on the low side these days. That said, it shouldn't crash the application completely, but I don't know how hard it is to program around that. Alternatively you could probaly lower de details on everything. Especially things like texture sizes and model complexity.

Yes, I know you are running SLI, fact is that both cards still need to render half the scene but need to know all the objects / textures in there, so basicly you have two cards with 320mb, both containing all the textures and all the models. Thats why you are usually better off with a single good card then two med-ends in SLI.

ZOMG, PASTEBIN ROCKS!!!. u r officially awesome.

yeeeaaa, have I mentioned I'm running all graphic settings to the max? lol. but even when I was running the game at default settings, it was crashing.

Here's the thing, just to clarify, I didn't think it was odd that lower res works, it actually makes perfect sense. It's also not that hard to program around it, just dont load the texture, lol. All I'm saying is when the "recommended" system requirments is ONE 8800....I would think TWO would run it just fine
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 06:24 AM
It can be that the game only recognise 1 card, as this is very common, and therefore 320mb is a little low as previously stated.

I am running a ATI 4870 1gb on this computer, no problems at all.

Installed and tried on my other machine, running a Geforce GT260 1gb card, and also fine...

It can be that your graphics card cannot handle the load....

And also, i used to run dual 8800GTX, and have had several problems, games crashing, drivers crashing etc, and that was all down to the fact that the 8800 runs very hot, (ran at 85 degrees new) and once i hocked them up to my water cooling all problems went away...

Just some ideas...
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksty
It can be that the game only recognise 1 card, as this is very common, and therefore 320mb is a little low as previously stated.

I am running a ATI 4870 1gb on this computer, no problems at all.

Installed and tried on my other machine, running a Geforce GT260 1gb card, and also fine...

It can be that your graphics card cannot handle the load....

And also, i used to run dual 8800GTX, and have had several problems, games crashing, drivers crashing etc, and that was all down to the fact that the 8800 runs very hot, (ran at 85 degrees new) and once i hocked them up to my water cooling all problems went away...

Just some ideas...
The problem may very well be my xfire then. I'll have to try that at some point either tonight or tomorrow (I'm insanely busy of late) - because both of my GPUs have 1gb of GDDR5 each. So it should be very fast, very expansive memory. Crashing is less frequent with the game settings turned down but keeping my 1650x1080 resolution, but it still happens. I'll let you guys know how disabling xfire while playing effects things.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I use a single video card and can re-create this error every time I use the character editor. It's a bug between cryptic and drivers they've been too lazy to fix.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryGuy View Post
Have you tried messing with your resolutions and has it helpe ne?
Yes sir, i tried messing with the settings and clicking on just about every variation to get the game to work properly but nothing works. during beta it was fine, i was on the ground and the starbase and it would not crash. i don't know what happened but i need to fix this problem now cause i bought the game and it seems kinda useless to have since i keep crashing to the desktop. if you guys have anymore suggestions id be willing to entertain them
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksty

It very well could be, although they say STO supports sli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx31
I use a single video card and can re-create this error every time I use the character editor. It's a bug between cryptic and drivers they've been too lazy to fix.
that's what it rly feels like, something on the software side. Especially since I can't recreate the error in any other application and benchmarks don't make them crash either, I can burn them in for hours and they work fine.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-04-2010, 02:43 AM
I like how everyone blames the cards or their lack of memory.

The game should NOT CRASH if there is insufficient memory period.

It should just chug. **** did that for me; I had the settings setup similar to STO with my dual 8600GTS, with 256megs each. The game never crashed, just chugged like mad when there were way too many people around. STO should be doing that as well, chugging under the pressure, not crashing. I have almost all my settings minned for textures and distances, except for char detail and aa at 2x. My res is native to my monitor 1920x1200. I still crash after several ground missions with memory problems. It always crashes at the loading screen unless I purposefully turn up settings after the game has been open a while; then it does it as I adjust them.

At the loading screen? You would think it would clear the previous area's memory to make room for the new one....even if the area is too large it should only load the closest textures/objects and then chug when it has to load new ones as you aproach them (why you can turn down the distances). Clearly something is wrong in the game itself.