Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keo
As I said above, you have to "spend enough" with the previous ones. They haven't yet said how much this is (any devs watching it'd be nice to be able to have a visual indication for this).
A guy in knew in beta crafted over 100 hypos and they still didn't unlock I guess you have to "spend" quite a bit.

As an article of feedback for Cryptic, I would suggest taking a close look at the rate of drops for the anomolous data versus the power level of the items available for purchase. I was unable to get anything but Alien Artifacts, Mineral Samples and Radiation Samples until around Lt. 7 or 8, at which point some Antimatter, Tetryon and Unknow Alloys began to drop. By that time, however, the items offered by Romaine (Common Mark I and Mark II, IIRC) were nowhere near as good as the various quest rewards and loot I had obtained.

This makes Memory Alpha feel like a waste of my time, and has largely killed off any desire I had to collect anomolies.

Has anyone else had this experience? How many players are currently stockpiling anomolies and taking advantage of Memory Alpha?

I'd like to explore this issue more in-depth, because it has the potential to be a neat little system, but many players seem not to understand or, or see its benefits.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
If you go into the exploration zones -- the main zone, not the systems, the drop rate of the rare mats is exponentially higher than in missions. To the rate of damn near 4/5 anamolies giving you a rare or more. You know, the "Scan Arucanis Arm Anomaly" that everyone ignores while they're too busy complaining about how they can't find unknown systems BECAUSE THEY AREN'T SCANNING THE ANAMOLIES TO FORCE A RESPAWN.

At Lt5 I already had enough to fabricate a few Mk II Phaser Array upgrades to put on my Miranda, and that was only from a smidgen of farming the resource zone.

I am hitting the snag, though, that I have made 6 Phasers, 2 Photon Torps, 4 Personal Shields, and about 30 or so Hypos and still have no access to other researchers and no idea how much more they need. This is making me come to the same conclusion you are slowly, but for different reasons. I've found more than enough of the rare mats, however I feel like it's not actually getting me anywhere, especially since I have to spend 1080 to buy the Phaser Arrays, time farming the mats, and they only sell for, like, 1500-2k at best.

The RoI is pretty much nil, and it has no appearance of advancing me to be able to trade better stuff so I can maybe turn a profit with it.

The system needs some love and attention from the Devs.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
not happy with this Economic system. I have a very limited "storage" and these things take up like 8-12 slots (about 1/4 of my storage), then tack on the medical supplies and food etc.. soon I have less then half my storage for loot. I must admit I'm not far enough in the game to know if i can get more or? but right now haveing the samples take up 1/4 of my slots is not good. Also flying around for 10 minutes in every system once its cleared to get 3 samples is not cool either. Like the game, but this gathering thing is not "fun" in any way IMHO.
You know you can put them in the bank right?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLithm View Post
You know you can put them in the bank right?
I was wondering this. Does it work like Champions that you can craft with mats that are in the bank?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Okay, I guess it was the console at first that threw me off. After depositing samples in the console, I thought that I would need to drop more samples in a console. Her explanation therefore, is not very clear. Its more like a store rather than a research lab.
I agree with everybody else though. We should have a rough idea as to how much to spend with her in order to unlock the other scientists. Since I'm at MA now, I'll try it out.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-04-2010, 06:52 AM
So apaprently, there was a bug with MA. Check the patch notes and you'll see that the crafted items required to advance was set too high.

I'd still like to know how much we're supposed to craft, but at least now we know it was bugged before, and not just ridiculously hard.

Still, a guide to Memory Alpha would be really helpful. I hope the community will create one, since we do not appear to be getting any kind of strategy guide or developer guides for this game.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
not happy with this Economic system. I have a very limited "storage" and these things take up like 8-12 slots (about 1/4 of my storage), then tack on the medical supplies and food etc.. soon I have less then half my storage for loot. I must admit I'm not far enough in the game to know if i can get more or? but right now haveing the samples take up 1/4 of my slots is not good. Also flying around for 10 minutes in every system once its cleared to get 3 samples is not cool either. Like the game, but this gathering thing is not "fun" in any way IMHO.
Proposed solution: Bank access on Memory Alpha.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-04-2010, 07:04 AM
They added a bank and mail and auction house to memory alpha with patch today. Also they lowered the required turn ins to get to the next level with the said patch. Glad I waited and horded my mats to start now.