Lt. Commander
I basically spent headstart farming for a new character, when it wasn't down, knowing full well the one I was playing was a temporary. I am level 5 as of this post and plan to ditch it at 6 when Klingons unlock, for the heck of it. Even if the character is not messed up on Skills, and it's not, I made the character with every intention to nott use it as a main.

I'm having trouble deciding between Joined Trill with Warp Theorist and Technie or an Alien with Efficient, Warp Theorist, Technie, and Astrophysist (Current setup on the mule).

As you can see the only difference would be if it's better to have +5 to all Efficiency skills and Astrophysist (Which I will not make much use of) versus a small boost to all first tier space skills, a boost to the same skill Astrophysist is but on a lower scale, and a the meh Hyper Metabolism that is the other required trait.

I'd like to play the classic "tank" for space and have no intention of being any form of damage dealer, so a Tactical player in a Cruiser is pretty much out in my case. And yes, I've heard Tactical players get some kind of "taunt" for the ground, but I don't see that as a worthwhile tradeoff to losing the player skills that are more defensive and better for tanking. I'm open to being convinced still, since the character is not made yet and I have yet to level 1 more time on the mule.

So who can help me decide?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
No replies? Where are all the helpful people tonight?

I now have a build, but the stuff past Lt are still tentative and probably a horrible setup: http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde...8-61--_4-27---
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Why am I forced to bump again?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron
Why am I forced to bump again?
Because no one wants to answer you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 06:23 AM
It really doesn't matter that much, the difference at higher levels is negligible. I vote for the JT, for RP reasons and because it's a little unique. Not that anyone will ever know or care, since there's basically zero character-based social interaction in the game, but at least you'll know.

-HD
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 06:45 AM
It really doesn't matter.

I mean... I have a liberated Borg and Joined Trill option and guess what... Im playing as a Ferengi. It really doesnt matter what you pick in the grand scheme of it all. Wouldnt it be dumb if 1 race was superior to all others? Youd have a server full of just that race. And lets face it. They wouldnt even bother programming the rest of them in...

Go with what you want to
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotact
Because no one wants to answer you.
If you have nothing nice you can say, say nothing at all.

As for the nice replies from Sparkeh and Homeless, thank you. I realize the difference is close to negligible, but I can't figure out in terms of numbers if it's better to have +5 to power management skill efficiency or +3 something/+6 something to all the tier 1 skills. Really, I'm usually not a min-maxer or anything but I'd like to in this case.

Yea Sparkeh I have both of those two as well and wasn't originally planning to use them either. I'm this close to going Joined Trill because it's a "pretty" race that isn't human (I hate playing generic human in games because I see that as mediocrity since we're all human) and is a little unique like Homeless said. I just can't decide if I want Efficiency for the sake of Starship Shield Efficiency going up, which is a major skill for what I'd like to do, or not.

The patch notes fixed Efficient recently again, and since I personally haven't seen a difference with or without it, I'm looking for info from people who have it if it's really that worth taking.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Like they said, it really doesn't matter. Pick what you want to look like and worry less about the stats. There is nothing in this game that makes the traits matter in the grand scheme of things. I'd steer clear of ground traits though, given the ratio of space to ground combat.

I'm sorry to break it to you but taunts and aggro and roles aren't really part of this game, you just shoot stuff and pretend you're in a TV show.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Yea ground traits are just meh. Ground combat is fun but it's way more entertaining in space and the game is definitely more space than ground. That's the meat of the game, for sure.

As for the second part, well lol, yea I've come to understand that. I've done a lot of reading and played beta (For a day, I admit, because the lag in Sol was nasaty). BO skills and using your head does come into the equation a lot, though. It just depends on what people want to do with their ship.

I guess I'll need to think on this more myself and go with what I feel like when I get home. Thanks guys. Even though I'm not really any closer to decidng, it helps to be told that traits aren't make or break.