Lt. Commander
Hi,

I look at the wide range of different types of weapons, and admit to being quite confused about things with them.

1. Whats the difference between the "main" damage between the various guns?

(mind you, I'm not in game so can't quote the exact #'s of the weapons..)

Like the Sniper rifle does something like 20 damage for 18 dps

and there's an auto-targeting rifle that does 6 damage, but still does 18 dps

And another semi-targeting rifle that does 12 damage, and again.. 18 dps

Is the only real difference between these guns how fast you can mash the "1" key to fire them? Or is there some other difference I'm not aware of (they are all the same damage type..)

2. Does the "machine gun" style guns hit more or less often? Or their only advantage is how fast you can mash the attack key?

does it really make a difference if you fire 1 bolt/shot/etc slowly or fire mass bolts/shots quickly (ie sniper vs the machine gune type) if the dps is the same?

3. The secondary effect's...

I understand what the +33/66% change to knockback 8-16 feet does...

There's some weapons which have a +x repel (I can't remember the proper term) - what do these actually do? Generally when these +x effect's are there, the damage does on secondary attacks seems pretty small..

4. Is there anything other than secondary attack typs & damage types when considering ground weapons?

If the dps on the "main" attack is the same, is the only thing that matters is the secondary attack?

-------------------------

Guess I'm just lost oand confused.. like I'm considering spending credits on upgrading my starter phazors to better guns from the starfleet shop.. but there is a huge vareity of weapons, all doing the same dps (as their equiv - ie km 1 is 16 dps, mk 2 is 18 dps).. and the only real difference is some do cylandrical aoe, some do cone aoe, some have various knockback chances...

and seems to me, the only real difference in choice is the secondary..

given the same dps - is there any reason to buy guns from the ferengi (I think?) merchant in club 17...? are those weapons somehow superior to the fleet vendor's guns?

Any help and/or advise regarding this would be welcome
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
I believe various weapons have different 'pulses'.

I've got to double check but I think the weapons that have low individual dmg, yet still have the same dps as another weapon in its class do a 'pulsed' effect, a stutter of lower individual damage attacks.

Lets take your sniper phaser bolter. It fires individual shots that do X dmg. It fires every time you hit 'fire'. The beam weapons seem a little different, I believe when you 'fire' it, it does multiple pulses within the beam, of a smaller amount. On the far end are those cannon weapons with the big individual dmg (30-40 per shot) but low rate of fire.

Some weapons have shorter ranges than others. As near as I can tell, pistols have secondary effects that require you to be closer to your targets than the secondary effects from a rifle type weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Ahhh, thank you Losobal. That does sound like it could be the case. It does seem to match what I thought and what i've observed of game play.

Is there any site out there that shows the weapon damages and such? I've looked at the sto wiki, but it seems rather unfinished right now. And 99% of the threads here are dedicated to space combat (which is undertsandable as most of the combat is in space.. lolz).. so haven't seen any of this information..

Another question I hade was - Can anyone use any weapon? Or are some weapons limited to say tactical officers? (one would think maybe the bigger guns available only to Tac officers?)

Also, does anyone know the different range's of the weapons? If there are any difference in ranges?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Just wanted to say if you come across a split beam riffle (phaser or disruptor doesn’t matter) cling to that baby. Just like the other lower guns its only 18dps but the key is the split beam secondary attack does the same dmg as the phaser sniper but to multiple targets and it doesn’t have that short aiming delay the phaser sniper rifle has. Its probably the best starting gun I have seen.

Ans if your team happens to bet a few targets exposed at the same time, use the split beam and you will disintegrate all of them
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by watmo View Post
Just wanted to say if you come across a split beam riffle (phaser or disruptor doesn’t matter) cling to that baby. Just like the other lower guns its only 18dps but the key is the split beam secondary attack does the same dmg as the phaser sniper but to multiple targets and it doesn’t have that short aiming delay the phaser sniper rifle has. Its probably the best starting gun I have seen.

Ans if your team happens to bet a few targets exposed at the same time, use the split beam and you will disintegrate all of them
+1 on this split beam is AMAZING when I have my whole team with it ugh it beats anything out there.

In PVP sniper shot = amazing
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 08:17 PM
basically yes, the primary attack is identical across all weapons. the listed damage is per shot, but DPS is calculated off burst+recharge. The exceptions are the bolt pistols - the single pistols fire a single shot and recharge faster than other primaries (this is hella annoying to use actually), the dual pistols fire long bursts and have better primary DPS than other weapon types.

the secondary attacks differ in some ways that might not be immediately obvious. some root you while firing, some do not. the attacks with lower damage/dps tend to have better area affect and have higher max targets.

Repel knocks a target back without knocking them down.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 11:09 AM
weapon ranges can also have some secondary benefits. While pistols have shorter ranges than rifles, it can be useful to give to BOs you WANT to be relatively close to the action. Especially in corridor/base type missions, I see that sometimes you run into situations where you have a couple BOs that hang back, apparently at rifle range, but out of LOS, and they just sorta sit there. Giving them closer ranged weapons encourages them /forces them to get closer.