I have done extensive testing with tribbles in my fleet (we have had 100's at one point). Here's my observations:
- They do not breed in the fleet bank, no matter how hard we've tried.
- They do breed on your belt, if both food and a tribble are on the belt.
- They do not like Klingon food. I put 5 tribbles with a stack of gagh in my bag and after a full day I had 5 tribbles.
- They do however *LOVE* Quadritricale. I put 5 tribbles in my bag with a stack of 5 quad and within 15 men I had 15 tribbles.
- They dislike Klingon bridge officers and scream everytime the BO brings them out.
I didn't see it posted anywhere, but it seems that tribble breeds are named after the design team, such as the super buffing tribble, Rivera. If we had a list of credits, we might be able to figure out how many breeds exist. I'm at work so my resources to research this are limited, does anyone know of such a list?