Lt. Commander
I've been a big doubter of this game but it has really, really impressed me so far.

For the most part I prefer open worlds to heavily-instanced ones, and I have no emotional attachment to Star Trek whatsoever, but I think STO is very solid gameplay-wise, right out of the gate.

I look forward to both ground and space missions, because both are fun in their own way. And I actually prefer sector space travel to the gate-to-gate-to-gate-to-gate jumping around you have to do in Eve. The level of customization is pretty impressive, and auto-group fleet actions are some of the most fun I've had in an MMO in a long time.

I'm still not entirely confident that Cryptic won't become complacent or just ruin the game by nickel and diming us (*cough* Champions), but I'm shocked at just how fun STO is this early in its existence. IMO they nailed the hardest part: gameplay.

Anyway, so far so good.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
It is nice to see a positive post for a change. I tend to agree. I have not played MMOs before, but this is way more fun than I expected. Now I do like Star Trek, specifically the ships, so this is awesome from the respect. I also find myself really enjoying the ground combat. Bridge Officers are totally an awesome concept.

Thanks,
Duncan
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Refreshing to hear this from someone who isn't a huge Star Trek fan. I used to hate that everything is instanced, but now it's starting to seem like a good idea.

On one hand I keep thinking about how bad some aspects of the game are, but on another I can't stop wanting to get home so I can play.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm also having a lot of fun playing this game. Once things settle down in the days and weeks ahead, it can and will only get better.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullset
Refreshing to hear this from someone who isn't a huge Star Trek fan. I used to hate that everything is instanced, but now it's starting to seem like a good idea.

On one hand I keep thinking about how bad some aspects of the game are, but on another I can't stop wanting to get home so I can play.
That's the big thing for me: I'm dying to play more of the game. I can't remember the last time I played an MMO at launch without thinking "Sigh I guess I should gain a few more levels to see if it gets any better" as I log in less and less.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Glad you're enjoying it, I know I am! I hope it keeps getting better. I didn't want a slow eve sim game I wanted exactly what they made a fun fast paced pew pew mixed with a few slow missions, arcade if you will.