Lt. Commander
This is just a few thoughts on a crafting system. I know none of us are really happy with the current system. Which is too bad as I remember fondly wasting hours in AO making implants and crafting, even if I wasn't online I'd still be planning and looking things up. I don't know if any of my ideas would be fun or even practical but this IP deserves more depth. So even if someone glances at this post and says that would never work but this might I'd still be happy.

The first part, the introduction of a playable Ferengi faction. The second part the introduction of true crafting and player based resource gathering. Introduction of instance specific "pet" ships in the form of freighter transports.

Ferengi Alliance

Ferengi gain NO xp. However they are the only faction that can gather resources from defeated ships. Ferengi advance in level by purchasing it. They can upgrade to the next tier ship without advancing purely by purchasing it. Their ships are upgradeable (for a price) and they are the only faction in which the player can manually fly a freighter. Freighters can also be upgraded and loaded with any weapons, shields, etc.. available, at the cost of cargo space.

When Ferengi players buy a level they will have access to more NPCs from any playable race, the ability to have more advanced freighter pets and an increase in number, a decrease in the bribe...cost of doing business tax imposed by the Alliance. At the top three tiers the player can open trade negotiations with an increasing number of systems. (netting the player an increase in money earned-at the cost of resources either ongoing or a one time deal for more money then the player can sell normally) Ferengi are very limited in the research they can do and the end user products they can produce...however all research, resources and items can be purchased. All factions must pay upkeep and salary costs for their NPCs, freighters and mines, however the Ferengi are the only ones that can "get away" with paying less then the posted value by negotiation.

Harvesting and Crafting

All systems have a resource zone selectable from the sector map (ie. Enter Vulcan System or Enter Vulcan Resource Zone) Once the player has entered any zone at least one time they are able to instantly "Transwarped" back to that zone from anywhere in that sector. Resources come in four types Common: available in most zones Uncommon: A few systems in a sector contain this resource Rare: each faction has one or two systems with this resource Very Rare: found only in exploration sectors (Note: there are two types of zone in these sectors Open: acts like other zones with NPC mines player must "find" this zone through a side mission. Personal-this is a one time usage zone the player can receive a set amount of resources based a side mission involving either combat, negotiation, or through use of the Engineering,Science, or Tactical Specialization(Crafting). Once found the player can interact with the NPC mines in the zone after activating it or have the option of using ``personal or Fleet`` mines. Activation is accomplished in one of four ways: Either a random mission fighting pirates specific to that sector either ground or space or through use of Specializations (Crafting). Ferengi must buy these rights, only the first one is free. These activation missions need only be done once per zone.

The first time any activation mission is completed the player receives their freighter pet. Ferengi are the only faction that can have more than one. The freighters are needed to transport the resources from the mine to a central collection area the player either receives payment for delivery or the resource they where transporting. The freighter pet can be destroyed either by pirates or in PVP zones by other players. Freighters can be upgraded with weapons and shielding at the cost of cargo space (though only the Ferengi can use the highest level equipment) If lost the the player can purchase a new freighter or redo any activation mission which will only be available if the player has no other pet. Freighters can be upgraded and sold to a market. These freighters are selectable by other players instead of the generic starter freighter for a much higher price (the player can only receive these through payment not the start-up mission) The freighters can either be set to follow the player or they can be set to automatic with up to three way points so the player can have some control over the route taken. The player will be alerted if/when the freighter comes under attack. If the player leaves the zone the freighter will immediately stop, if the player does not return in under five minutes the resources will be returned to the player mine.

Mines

There are two types of mines and three levels of resources. Poor, Good, Excellent. Any of these three can be used in crafting however more of the Poor, and less of the Excellent are needed for any results. NPC mines owned by the player`s faction and usable by any player. The player must pay a fee to load their freighter.
"Personal or Fleet" mines. These mines are further away from the central collection area and there is a greater concentration of pirates the player must also pay for upkeep on this type of mine and staff it with personal hired from the central collection area. The player or Fleet can select the percentage of personal who are either Security- that affect the defense of the mine (make it harder to disable) giving it more turrets and better shielding in space and in ground combat (PVP only) giving better shielding to systems that can be sabotaged and placing auto turrets to assist the player in defense. Science- the more of this type in a mine the better the quality of the resource gathered. Engineering- increases the yield of the mine with fewer workers. Workers are needed for production and make up the largest number of the work force. All levels of the work force can be adjusted but only once per day as you need to fire the surplus personal and await the transfer of new workers from Central. Holographic workers may be used and they have the greatest production of any workers however the emitter must be crafted (for great expense) and it is targetable and can be destroyed from space, or PVP in ground combat. These mines are tied to the player not perpetual, meaning that the Personal or Fleet mines only exist in an instance if the player is there. To prevent exploits three or more members of a Fleet must be in zone for the mine to show, if technology exists all players in the same Fleet can access the same instance.

Upkeep when the player is offline the mine is assumed to still be running and so earning enough to pay all upkeep costs and net a very small amount of resources,at normal levels. If the player is paying more then normal upkeep costs (due either to upgraded ships and facilities or paying a premium for NPCs to get better results) the mine will not produce enough to cover even the overhead. The mine will then become derelict meaning that if the player wishes to reactivate the mine all new personal will need to be hired and all added components and upgrades will be lost. To prevent this the player can add credits to the mines coffers, the overhead will be payed from this first meaning that initially production will be somewhat accelerated before production will be impacted.

Crafting

BO`s are used for crafting. The player can train them in specializations that are needed for research and development. Examples would include but not be limited to Advanced Warp Theory, Xenobiology, AI Assist Targeting, etc. Crafting would take place at either Memory Alpha in the research and development labs any items can be crafted here example Improved Warp Core, or on board the players ship in the lab. The ship based crafting would be limited to the smaller items example Tactical Consoles. BOs can train in any specialization but may only have one active at a time.The grade or level of the specialization will decrease slightly when changed but will not be reset to zero. Training in multiple specializations will lead to more advanced specializations.

The process: The Science BO first must experiment with all the resources that the player wishes to use, this consumes the resources but allows the BO to use them in research. This opens up the ability to use recipes (these can also be discovered in the experimental process). Recipes at this point are used to combine resources into a Practical Theory. This is a recipe for the Engineer allowing this BO to use resources to make Components Parts. These Parts can then be combined into the final item. Tactical BO`s are only involved in crafting weapons and weapon systems for these items there is an added step at the end. For weapon systems instead of the final item the Engineer makes an Experimental Item the Tactical BO then tests the item no resources are consumed but credits are. This step can fail taking the process back to the Practical Theory stage all the steps would then need to be redone consuming resources. This can only fail three times. After that the final item is made.

If the player lacks the BO specialization they may either group with another play that has it or hire a BO on a temp basis for an enormous amount

Additional Missions and PVP

Players not wishing to harvest resources can enter the Harvest zones and obtain repeatable missions to combat the pirates in the zone and defend the mines. This helps with the zone control in PVE the more the players defeat the pirates the more NPC mines become accessible and the fewer pirates attack the Fleet or personal mines. If control swings the other way fewer NPC mines will be available and at the higher levels of pirate control Personal and Fleet mines would become derelict. At maximum pirate control a raid option would become available for all players that choose to participate to push out the pirates and reset the control to the lowest pirate levels. Players would never lose total access to the resources in the zone but the amount and quality would be at the lowest value.

PVP- Systems along the boarders would be open PVP zones there would be fewer (if any) pirates and players would compete for control of the zone, increasing the quality and quantity of resources for their faction while decreasing it for their opponents. Destroying freighters, assaulting and sabotaging mines would count across all instances for the zones control attacking player mines and freighters would count more toward zone control then attacking NPC assets. Each faction in the zone would have its own Central Collector and no faction would lose all its NPC mines

I don't know that any of this would fit into canon but maybe it will give the smarter people here a few ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I got to say This would be sweet, I was thinking about how fun it would be to have the Ferengi Alliance as a faction.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I love this idea of adding the Ferengi Alliance as a playable mostly neutral faction that would be focused primarily on crafting. I would most definitely make a Ferengi character to have better crafting options. Crafting is definitely one of the things I enjoy the most in MMOs and have been trying to figure out how crafting currently works in this game. The ideas you've offered overall sound good and as someone that is a diehard Trekkie it mostly fits in with canon.

I hope some of the Cryptic developers give some serious thought to this idea and that others will offer up feadback on this idea. I think this could be a great way to add more player driven economy and crafted items into the game. I will have to read back over your ideas some more its quite a well thought out idea you've presented here and I only absorbed part of it this first read. Good job
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazigirl View Post
I love this idea of adding the Ferengi Alliance as a playable mostly neutral faction that would be focused primarily on crafting. I would most definitely make a Ferengi character to have better crafting options. Crafting is definitely one of the things I enjoy the most in MMOs and have been trying to figure out how crafting currently works in this game. The ideas you've offered overall sound good and as someone that is a diehard Trekkie it mostly fits in with canon.

I hope some of the Cryptic developers give some serious thought to this idea and that others will offer up feadback on this idea. I think this could be a great way to add more player driven economy and crafted items into the game. I will have to read back over your ideas some more its quite a well thought out idea you've presented here and I only absorbed part of it this first read. Good job
Thanks, needless to say I had a bit of free time today.

What I was really unsure of was trying to add PVP content, I have never done it lol so trying to think up a way to include those that enjoy that content was quite the strain on my poor brain.

I also have a very limited skill set when it comes to economics so I tried to avoid being too specific about how the player economy would be implemented or regulated. But the tools would be there in the Ferengi faction in the form of the Grand Nagus. Imagine a Mod/Dev in that role or even better the top earning player, alot of work and think of the profit...:p....of course if the rest of the Alliance didn't approve of the job he/she was doing the plotting and maneuvering to get rid of the Nagus could be its own mini game.