Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lt. Commander
This has been going on since Champions was in beta, but those forums and bug reports are all gone. This didn't originally occur when STO was in CB, but has now reoccurred since OB.

I get about 100 fps while in sector space. If I hit alt+f12, that jumps up to 140 fps, and stays there.

On earth space dock, I get about 70-80 FPS. alt+f12 to disable the UI, it jumps up to about 100 fps.

While the number's change, the huge boost in performance still occurs whether I'm on minimum or maximum graphical settings.

I have tested this on multiple PCs now:
my old one running WinXP 32bit, with 4 gigs of ram, a core 2 duo 8400, and a 8800 GT
My current PC, running Win7 64 bit, 8 gigs of ram, a i5 750 and a GTX 275
as well as my fiancee's PC, an older machine running WinXP 32, 2 gigs of ram, a Athlon 64 3200, and a ATI 4850.

In all cases the boost is the same.

Now, while the current UI is easy on the eyes, there are no special lighting effects rendering on it like some games, no special effects when opening/closing windows, and especially no special effects when wandering through space.

Even if the UI itself was based off 200mb bitmaps for /each section/, the game client itself isn't taking up 2 gigs of ram, much less 4, or 8, so that shouldn't be an issue.

This issue is even easier to notice by opening up a UI panel that has even more interactivity: The skills window. That drops your FPS down by a decent amount as well.

I don't know if there is something inherently wrong with the UI team's code, or if there is some sort of memory leak and/or rendering bug with the UI, but there is no reason why a game's UI should take up any performance.

To test this yourself. Load up anywhere, type /showfps 1, watch the upper right's #s for a bit, then hit alt+f12, and watch them again.

If anyone /doesn't/ have this, could you respond with your system specs? I think the only things that would matter is ram/cpu/gpu.

I have bugged this in the game, but all previous reports in CO and earlier reports in OB and now launch have yet to be responded too. I do not know if this means they don't know how to respond or are still looking into it, but I thought posting a thread may help people spitball ideas of possible causes.