Lt. Commander
There are 2 things that would make ground based PvP a bit more interesting (and NO I am not talking about nerfing the stun weapons.. although i hate getting killed by them, when i do it to them, it feels pretty satisfying)

But #1 -- A SETUP TIMER --

Why couldn't they spawn you and your team in, and block you in a room for like 1 minute to let the players have time to send invites to random new team members and to wait for them to all get there. I get bored of spawning as the only Fed into a group of 5 Klingys, it really isn't fun to just run and there's no way to even take one down when they are grouped closely as they can just stun your escape. Team Fortress 2 has a method that works if Cryptic doesn't have an ideas.

*Edit* If it would require too much rework on the maps with spawn in points, they could just do what they do at the END of the round and you spawn in frozen at least. Not the method I would prefer, but it would be better than what we have now.

and # 2 --LEARN TO COUNT!--

See the above. Why do I have to spawn into a 1 versus 5 combat where they have already been just waiting for someone to show up for a few minutes. And most of the time, the Klingys end up sitting at the spawn in place, waiting to spawn camp the unfortunate soul that joined that match. Yes I know you can sometimes spawn elsewhere, but more often than not, they are at the main one (near the Orange See through shield on Ghost Ship for example). But ultimately, why does it even start a game when there are not enough players. I hate playing 5 vs 1 on the other end too. I hate chasing one guy down with a team of 5, it just doesn't feel right. Sometimes I have even told my team to "hold fire" until more enemies spawn in for the other sides team. Although I KNOW they would NEVER do that for me, let alone would i have time to even type three words before i'm respawning, heh.

Is this too much to ask though? A small setup timer so you aren't dead before you spawn in? And a fair team count as well? Am I asking too much?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 12:18 AM
I have the strong feeling that PvP will be balanced out and improved. It's far from finished because such timers and starting safe spots with balanced odds should be in for a fair match. But we have a big content addon coming up where pvp is one of the bigger aspects
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Thanks for responding

I agree that there is a lack of content, but these basic elements pretty much ruin any balance they could try to get into the game. Which ever side spawns with 5 player and the other side gets a single unit, it becomes a slaughter. And to a certain degree, since the death penalties are non existant, I guess I can suck up my pride and let them chase me around. But in the end, when they are like "we just PwNd" you, and it is an out lie, that gets to me. They don't get the right to gloat if they didn't earn it.

Although one match today, only one Klingy spawned and we made an arrangement to wait till she had backup. While we waited, we did a little one on one versus her, and each didn't assist. It was interesting to see something like this happen. But just as it was on the 3rd round the Klingys got reinforcements so the spar had to end. But that is about as close to honor as I have seen from their side so far ;(

This HAS to be fixed... if these two things are fixed, the complaining will go down about stun weapons. When you spawn into an instance into a group of camping Klingys and die before you can click the intro text off the screen, it does kill you mood.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 04:05 AM
Atleast we can talk to the enemy in comparision to some elfish games.
Good to hear it was fair in the end I'm curious how pvp will play with the big addon.
I'm curious how this game will look when it's as old as other MMO's...things tend to change and grow as time goes by and i have no doubt that if STO will continue to grow in popularity and becomes a top MMO we may see things in time that will blow us out of our socks
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is still a WIP, and we will see major improvements, but probably not until after the 45 day patch. The system works OK enough now to get us by until then.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerphate View Post
There are 2 things that would make ground based PvP a bit more interesting (and NO I am not talking about nerfing the stun weapons.. although i hate getting killed by them, when i do it to them, it feels pretty satisfying)

But #1 -- A SETUP TIMER --

Why couldn't they spawn you and your team in, and block you in a room for like 1 minute to let the players have time to send invites to random new team members and to wait for them to all get there. I get bored of spawning as the only Fed into a group of 5 Klingys, it really isn't fun to just run and there's no way to even take one down when they are grouped closely as they can just stun your escape. Team Fortress 2 has a method that works if Cryptic doesn't have an ideas.

*Edit* If it would require too much rework on the maps with spawn in points, they could just do what they do at the END of the round and you spawn in frozen at least. Not the method I would prefer, but it would be better than what we have now.

and # 2 --LEARN TO COUNT!--

See the above. Why do I have to spawn into a 1 versus 5 combat where they have already been just waiting for someone to show up for a few minutes. And most of the time, the Klingys end up sitting at the spawn in place, waiting to spawn camp the unfortunate soul that joined that match. Yes I know you can sometimes spawn elsewhere, but more often than not, they are at the main one (near the Orange See through shield on Ghost Ship for example). But ultimately, why does it even start a game when there are not enough players. I hate playing 5 vs 1 on the other end too. I hate chasing one guy down with a team of 5, it just doesn't feel right. Sometimes I have even told my team to "hold fire" until more enemies spawn in for the other sides team. Although I KNOW they would NEVER do that for me, let alone would i have time to even type three words before i'm respawning, heh.

Is this too much to ask though? A small setup timer so you aren't dead before you spawn in? And a fair team count as well? Am I asking too much?

great ideas, easy and effective for both, Klingons and Feds
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 04:32 AM
Yeah, it is nice to be able to communicate to the zone and both sides can hear it. Although, they need to add another channel called Faction, so that lets say you zoned into a pvp with with a group of you and two friends. You find some others but they are also in their own team. There is no way to tell the other team anything without globally telling them, and when the enemy knows you plans it defeats the point. The only way around this would be to spawn in with an already full group I suppose, but not every gets the luxury all the time.

And I understand, it is a work in progress, trust me I know about launch problems, heh. I just would have thought that these 2 concepts I mentioned would have been one of the elements they put into the game since day one. It is one of the reasons I have to make this an issue, as I don't understand how games make all these mistakes, if only they would have hired me instead

And I guess it's okay enough to make it till a patch is released to fix it, assuming they know this is a problem? This is the only thread i have found addressing this issue, unless someone else has a link? But if they are going to fix it, then good. And although the mechanics work in the sense that, yes the game does indeed drop you into a room with MAYBE some teammates and LIKELY an outnumbered pre-ready squad of opponents waiting. I just wish that it was a little more even with that matchups.

My theories are that some of the other players dropped out during the timer cycle and so you get shorted some people. Another thing is if you have a team at all, you will go in with that team at least. So the fuller your team the better off you are at least. So, between those two things, the game being forced to use an existing team size along with maybe some people dropping out can cause this. And lastly, how fast you join when the Que countdown starts happening is how fast you are going into the match. So if wait until you have only a few seconds left, much action has already happened before you go in there yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Renak View Post
great ideas, easy and effective for both, Klingons and Feds

Thanks, I have had other Klingons agree as well to these ideas during our matches. I direct them to post here in support of it. I can assume that the devs will read these if enough eyes scan and post their opinions. It is really two simple things, straight and to the point. And it is ALL about balancing the game without having to change a single combat mechanic. Fix the gaming without breaking it again.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 04:36 AM
I totally agree with everything just said, very well summed up bro!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

I only post this in hopes that the Devs listen to me. These mechanics are like Gaming 101 in my opinion. I am not sure how they got left out.