Lt. Commander
(Put this in Ten-Forward because I didn't want to pollute the games message boards and this is the closest forum to Off-Topic)

For the last few months, everyday I have visited these forums, I am disgusted. I don't want to be rude, but IT'S A GAME. We can't have people posting about how Cryptic has ruined their life. I don't know about you, but I don't think that Cryptic charging 4 dollars for 2 races, one of which you can create in the alien creator, is extortion.

I have seen people claim that the government needs to pass laws making it so that community service for MMORPG's is better. Well, I have news for you, the government should not be spending it's time passing laws about VIDEO GAMES. That is exactly my point. It's just a game. Criticism should be constructive and the forums should be a fun place to be, not a hate factory. I am not saying the Star Trek Online is perfect- it still needs a lot of work. But for God's sake, please don't take any move by Cryptic personally. I swear, people are downright offended by the fact that one of the class names is not to their liking!

Well, I'm done with my rant, and I hope people listen.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Its normal for most MMOs i have played esp at the infancy of launch.....about 2 months after launch, things will quiet down and conversations will be mostly about "whats the best pvp/pve build". Haters will also leave beacuse they played through 30day free and the ones who hadnt left, will leave after being frustrated from paying a month subscription.

Internet is a great place, because people can vent and rant anomously too. If we were all face to face, it wouldnt be this ugly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.H. View Post
I feel your pain, but there will always be people who bring strife and unhappiness wherever they go.

You have to wonder about people who spend more hours in the day stirring up trouble on game forums than they do playing the game they're supposedly here to play ...

To save yourself, I suggest you just keep playing Star Trek Online, and only come to the forums when you have a reason to do so. And while playing STO, do yourself a favor, and turn Zone Chat off. Everything one hates about these forums lives there too.

The problem here is not specific to STO -- all the MMORPG game forums tend to turn into a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" once the game launches. Why? Because all the people who come for the game are playing the game every chance they get, not starting pointless drama on the game forums.

Cheers,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 4 Good Luck With That!
02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm afraid that you sir battle against human nature itself.

While there are those of us who are civilized and possess the ability to apply reason and common sense in our every day lives, there are even more of those among us that can barely grasp simple social skills let alone complex and constructive methods of imparting constructive feedback when they disapprove of something.

The various gaming communities throughout the internet have been plagued with these types of people since the dawn of the internet itself. I do not expect that this will change in the foreseeable future.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axois
I'm afraid that you sir battle against human nature itself.
I shall battle against human nature... and win!

But yeah, it's normal for game forums, I just saw one thread too many and snapped. Combined with reading the comments section of the absurdly negative Massively community (what a mistake), I couldn't take it anymore.

It is fun, though, when a fun thread peeks through the dirt.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 07:11 PM
**** Off! All of you.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Computer. Turn off the EMH.

Human nature is nasty.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.H. View Post
(Put this in Ten-Forward because I didn't want to pollute the games message boards and this is the closest forum to Off-Topic)

For the last few months, everyday I have visited these forums, I am disgusted. I don't want to be rude, but IT'S A GAME. We can't have people posting about how Cryptic has ruined their life. I don't know about you, but I don't think that Cryptic charging 4 dollars for 2 races, one of which you can create in the alien creator, is extortion.

I have seen people claim that the government needs to pass laws making it so that community service for MMORPG's is better. Well, I have news for you, the government should not be spending it's time passing laws about VIDEO GAMES. That is exactly my point. It's just a game. Criticism should be constructive and the forums should be a fun place to be, not a hate factory. I am not saying the Star Trek Online is perfect- it still needs a lot of work. But for God's sake, please don't take any move by Cryptic personally. I swear, people are downright offended by the fact that one of the class names is not to their liking!

I agree with your sentiment... I do hope (against the odds) that people take heed...
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 07:49 PM
This is only the beginning.