# 1 Computer freezing up
01-26-2010, 01:28 AM
Here are my system stats:

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275
Manu: NVIDIA
Chip: GeForce GTX 275
Winver: Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit

DxDiag: http://pastebin.com/mfaf9e2e

It seems that whenever I spend more than a minute or two in pitched space combat (mashing on the space button to continuously fire my phasers) my screen will go black, and I will hear the next few seconds of game sound before the sound begins to stutter and my computer locks up. The only way to restore is to cycle the power via the power button.

I've updated my display drivers and I will next try adjusting in-game video settings.

Any ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-26-2010, 01:55 AM
This solved my issues, but I'm using an ATI card so I don't know, worth a try. Disable Dynamic lighting and lower bloom quality/intensity. See if this helps. It solved my frame stuttering and crashing entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Adjusted some of the display settings, and it still occurs. Turns out it's not an input overload problem; it happened this time while flying sedately toward combat. I've been in PvP areas every time this has occured.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Same here... I was worried my video card was about to die or something after the 4th time it happened.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Same or similar issue here. Relevant specs are below. I can post my dxdiag if it'll help.

In my case I was in the starting station, doing a quest turn-in. The moment I hit the button that would complete the current quest and accept the next, my machine froze - video and all - and I had to do a hard shutdown. I immediately tried to power my machine back up, my power light lit and my fans whirred, but nothing else (no beeps or anything, monitor stayed in power-save). After switching the power supply off and unplugging the machine for about 5 minutes it was able to boot.

At the time I was running the game I had Steam up, was chatting through Skype, and was running a minimal selection of background apps.

I logged back in briefly after rebooting and I was standing where I was when I'd crashed and I was on the next part of the quest chain. I'll report back if it happens again tomorrow.

I thought it might just be fluke power issue, but then I saw this thread. I hope it's not the fault of the game, but I guess we'll see next time. I haven't seen a hard crash like this since the XP days, so needless to say I'm a bit concerned.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Abit IP35 Pro
Q6600 (factory default clock)
8gb Ram
BFG GeForce GTX 280
Evga Geforce 9600 GT (for PhysX)
Sound Blaster X-fi Platinum

EDIT: I should add that the last time I played before tonight was on Tuesday, and played for almost 4 hours with no issues. The only difference between Tuesday and tonight, that I can see, was the required patch when I logged in tonight, and the fact that on Tuesday I was using Steam to chat, while tonight I was using Skype.