Lt. Commander
HI all,

I'm not going to try and blame my massive lag that I just had (where I was unable to fire for about 2-3 minutes) on the servers, because I know full well that it's my connection.

I live a mere 4km from the exchange, in residential, suburban Perth. I have an ADSL 2+ connection with supposed speeds of 24,000kbps.

This is my speedtest.net result to a Perth (local) server:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/706189994.png

And this is my speedtest.net result to a US server:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/706191627.png

And their ping test to a US server:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/9680847.png

What I'd like to know is: Is there anything I can do on my end that can help reduce my lag? Any in-game or computer settings? I can't change the quality of the physical wire connected to my house, and at the moment, i can't move house (moving towards the middle of the year, will be checking line quality when I move), but I want to know if there's anything I can do.

I'm guessing not much, but I thought I'd put it out there just in case anyone knows of anything.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 04:55 PM
for some (but not all it all depends on the intial connections of the isp) using one of the proxies help. Launcher option select either US or EU proxy. You can select the proxy to use for game play and or patching(some have trouble patching if they use a proxy) .

The proxies are currently a little over worked but they are soon to have new proxy software to improve them. (they trying for this weekend)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:
HI all,

I'm not going to try and blame my massive lag that I just had (where I was unable to fire for about 2-3 minutes) on the servers, because I know full well that it's my connection.

I live a mere 4km from the exchange, in residential, suburban Perth. I have an ADSL 2+ connection with supposed speeds of 24,000kbps.

This is my speedtest.net result to a Perth (local) server:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/706189994.png

And this is my speedtest.net result to a US server:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/706191627.png

And their ping test to a US server:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/9680847.png

What I'd like to know is: Is there anything I can do on my end that can help reduce my lag? Any in-game or computer settings? I can't change the quality of the physical wire connected to my house, and at the moment, i can't move house (moving towards the middle of the year, will be checking line quality when I move), but I want to know if there's anything I can do.

I'm guessing not much, but I thought I'd put it out there just in case anyone knows of anything.
That 50% packet loss is really the killer, given how TCP works. Unfortunately there isn't likely much you can do beyond finding a new ISP.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Changing provider is unlikely to make any difference unfortunately.

ADSL2+ will only work at close to 24 meg if you are right next to the exchange. At 4km you are almost as far as it will work at all.

You might have a problem with a high resistance fault on the line. Most phone companies have a short number to dial for a quiet line test, where if you hear crackling or other noises you should contact them and have them fix it.

You could contact your ISP and check a few things. Ask them if interleaving is enabled on your line. It will normally reduce lag if it isn't, but in your case you need to make sure it is on to help with that packet loss. Tell them about your problem and ask if a manual change of your SNR (signal to noise ratio) might help.

Get hold of a program to edit your MTU (maximum transmission unit). Ping the STO patch server whilst trying out different figures to see what works best. Make sure your router is set for the same MTU.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
There are some paid services in Australia that might help with packet loss. They act as a proxy and have low load, high performance servers and switches across Australia and route you directly to the fiber connection point down near Sydney, trying to cut as much in between infrastructure out of the way. I know there's at least one, but I can't remember what they are called, nor do I have any idea if they actually work.

The packet loss could just be a temporary hiccup in the network.

However, you are unfortunately ultimately bound by the speed of light through the core of a fiber optic cable as far as ping goes, which you're actually getting pretty good ping times for Australia.

Let me see if I can dig up and interesting old post I made for someone in another game.

Ah, here we go.

-----------
Actually, signal travel time adds up quite a bit. From Brisbane to LA, I just picked Brisbane because it's about as close to the US as you can get in Australia, and LA is the last major stop before you hit the west coast US servers, is ~7000 miles or 11500 km. That's a round trip travel distance of 23000km. Now, the speed of light is 300,000km/s in a vacuum, and of course, transmission media is usually not a vacuum, and the speed of light traveling through a material is determined by the refraction index.

A bit of searching turns up that the average refraction index for the core of an undersea fiber optic cable is 1.48, which means that light travels on average through a fiber optic cable at1/1.48 of it's speed in a vacuum or .675675 repeating, or 202702 km/s. So you're already up to a minimum possible* by the laws of physics,barring a long distance fiber optic cable with a much smaller refraction index, 113ms latency just from the round trip time, and that's only if you have a direct fiber optic connection, straight as the crow can fly, between you and the server, which as we know will not happen.

Then once you pile everything else on top of it, such as non fiber infrastructure in between, traffic from that entire side of the world coming over the Pacific, switching, the server processing commands on their end and replying, etc., you wind up with much higher.

Oh,I just looked up the length of the fiber optic cables connecting Australia to the US. It's comprised of two largely parallel lengths of cable totaling 30500km in length. The shortest of the two is 13910 km,or 27820km round trip or 137ms minimum latency and the longer of the two is 14430km or 28860km round trip or 142 ms minimum latency barring all traffic. The length discrepancy is because I didn't count a couple thousand km of interconnecting fiber optic cable between the two which are considered a part of the entire cable system, including a loop between Oregon and Southern California.

*It could be physically possible but not technologically feasible at this time to run a cable deep underground in an absolutely straight line through the sphere of the Earth, thus cutting several thousand miles off the trip since you don't have to follow the curvature of the Earth and speeding up travel time quite a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I have normal DSL in the USA, but the only time I ever had packet loss that high is when squirrels had eaten the casing off the phone cable in multiple spots along with way from the central office... Moisture would build and cause a low frequency short in the line, destroying the Signal to Noise ratio of my line... If it is rainy in your area atm or just really humid, this could be your problem. I would contact your ISP Asap to get a crew out there to check the lines to your house.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

My tests while bad, aren't always as bad. I guess it kinda depends on the way the wind is blowing in china, or a butterfly flapping its wings in the amazon, or something. Average packet loss is around 12% with pings at 476ms with average 250ms jitter.

Changing ISP's isn't really an option, as iinet really are one of the better ISP's in Australia. My results are vastly below average for them. Average downloads for them on speedtest.net are at 6529kbps, and average for Australia is 5410.

I have heard the MTU suggestion before. might try it out, see if it fixes anything. Will give it a try and see how I do.

Cheers once again.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 11:12 PM
I had a similar problem when I upgraded to ADSL2+, but did not upgrade my router to a compatible model. Are you sure your router/modem supports ADSL2+?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 11:47 PM