Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
This has been going on since Champions was in beta, but those forums and bug reports are all gone. This didn't originally occur when STO was in CB, but has now reoccurred since OB.

I get about 100 fps while in sector space. If I hit alt+f12, that jumps up to 140 fps, and stays there.

On earth space dock, I get about 70-80 FPS. alt+f12 to disable the UI, it jumps up to about 100 fps.

While the number's change, the huge boost in performance still occurs whether I'm on minimum or maximum graphical settings.

I have tested this on multiple PCs now:
my old one running WinXP 32bit, with 4 gigs of ram, a core 2 duo 8400, and a 8800 GT
My current PC, running Win7 64 bit, 8 gigs of ram, a i5 750 and a GTX 275
as well as my fiancee's PC, an older machine running WinXP 32, 2 gigs of ram, a Athlon 64 3200, and a ATI 4850.

In all cases the boost is the same.

Now, while the current UI is easy on the eyes, there are no special lighting effects rendering on it like some games, no special effects when opening/closing windows, and especially no special effects when wandering through space.

Even if the UI itself was based off 200mb bitmaps for /each section/, the game client itself isn't taking up 2 gigs of ram, much less 4, or 8, so that shouldn't be an issue.

This issue is even easier to notice by opening up a UI panel that has even more interactivity: The skills window. That drops your FPS down by a decent amount as well.

I don't know if there is something inherently wrong with the UI team's code, or if there is some sort of memory leak and/or rendering bug with the UI, but there is no reason why a game's UI should take up any performance.

To test this yourself. Load up anywhere, type /showfps 1, watch the upper right's #s for a bit, then hit alt+f12, and watch them again.

If anyone /doesn't/ have this, could you respond with your system specs? I think the only things that would matter is ram/cpu/gpu.

I have bugged this in the game, but all previous reports in CO and earlier reports in OB and now launch have yet to be responded too. I do not know if this means they don't know how to respond or are still looking into it, but I thought posting a thread may help people spitball ideas of possible causes.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 03:27 AM
It's the same in any game with a UI. The UI is rendered seperatly from the rest of the game. So your comp is outputting both UI and the game at the same time. It's bound to take a performance hit.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Streak
This has been going on since Champions was in beta, but those forums and bug reports are all gone. This didn't originally occur when STO was in CB, but has now reoccurred since OB.

I get about 100 fps while in sector space. If I hit alt+f12, that jumps up to 140 fps, and stays there.

On earth space dock, I get about 70-80 FPS. alt+f12 to disable the UI, it jumps up to about 100 fps.

While the number's change, the huge boost in performance still occurs whether I'm on minimum or maximum graphical settings.

I have tested this on multiple PCs now:
my old one running WinXP 32bit, with 4 gigs of ram, a core 2 duo 8400, and a 8800 GT
My current PC, running Win7 64 bit, 8 gigs of ram, a i5 750 and a GTX 275
as well as my fiancee's PC, an older machine running WinXP 32, 2 gigs of ram, a Athlon 64 3200, and a ATI 4850.

In all cases the boost is the same.

Now, while the current UI is easy on the eyes, there are no special lighting effects rendering on it like some games, no special effects when opening/closing windows, and especially no special effects when wandering through space.

Even if the UI itself was based off 200mb bitmaps for /each section/, the game client itself isn't taking up 2 gigs of ram, much less 4, or 8, so that shouldn't be an issue.

This issue is even easier to notice by opening up a UI panel that has even more interactivity: The skills window. That drops your FPS down by a decent amount as well.

I don't know if there is something inherently wrong with the UI team's code, or if there is some sort of memory leak and/or rendering bug with the UI, but there is no reason why a game's UI should take up any performance.

To test this yourself. Load up anywhere, type /showfps 1, watch the upper right's #s for a bit, then hit alt+f12, and watch them again.

If anyone /doesn't/ have this, could you respond with your system specs? I think the only things that would matter is ram/cpu/gpu.

I have bugged this in the game, but all previous reports in CO and earlier reports in OB and now launch have yet to be responded too. I do not know if this means they don't know how to respond or are still looking into it, but I thought posting a thread may help people spitball ideas of possible causes.
Lately I've been getting a performance hit when opening UI windows. Never had this problem before. Seems to have snuck in a few patches back. I take it your not a fan of the EVE interface either? =)
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
It's the same in any game with a UI. The UI is rendered seperatly from the rest of the game. So your comp is outputting both UI and the game at the same time. It's bound to take a performance hit.
While this is true, it's only a valid statement when the UI itself requires advanced rendering passes. The STO UI is displaying static images, with no post processing or visual effects at all.

With that in mind, there is no reason why the UI is taking up that much performance. 20-40fps is not a just a performance hit, but a major hit, when you consider 20-40fps over 100 is roughly 30%.

A UI should not take 30% of a game's system needs.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Very interesting..
02-05-2010, 03:13 PM
While I do not get any increase or decrease in perfomance by hiding the UI, if I open up my Captains skills tab my frame rate drops in half - framerate is at a solid 30 and drops to about 17, I run in window mode at 1920x1200. None of the other tabs do this, the bridges officers skill tabs included. This was not happening until the last patch.

Relevant stats,

Win7 x64
Q9450 (Core 2 Quad @ 2.66Ghz)
GTX 260 (Driver version 195.62)
8GB RAM
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Here is some explaination. The UI is a seperate element that is rendered as a layer on top of what ever else is going on in game. So it will take up gpu processing time just like any other element in game. This is a very logical explanation of why you noticing this fps difference.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THeBaka
Here is some explaination. The UI is a seperate element that is rendered as a layer on top of what ever else is going on in game. So it will take up gpu processing time just like any other element in game. This is a very logical explanation of why you noticing this fps difference.
I follow you completely. However, the fps difference STO's UI is causing is exceedingly disproportionate to the amount of rendering the UI elements should require.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
I tend to aggree too but it is possible it is normal too then again anything is possible
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahegao
While I do not get any increase or decrease in perfomance by hiding the UI, if I open up my Captains skills tab my frame rate drops in half - framerate is at a solid 30 and drops to about 17, I run in window mode at 1920x1200. None of the other tabs do this, the bridges officers skill tabs included. This was not happening until the last patch.

Relevant stats,

Win7 x64
Q9450 (Core 2 Quad @ 2.66Ghz)
GTX 260 (Driver version 195.62)
8GB RAM
I'm seeing the same kind of slowdowns only on the captain skills page. Absolutely no other window induces this framerate drop, including the bridge officer skills pages. Quite odd, to say the least.

Core i5 750 @ 3.5GHz
Radeon HD 5770 w/ Catalyst 9.12
4GB DDR3-1600
Win 7 64-bit
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I sent a ticket on this today; When I open up my skill tree (now Captain), my FPS will drop to <20, and it's ahrd to click on anything. I usually play 40-90~.