Lt. Commander
Have you seen star trek? The crew always knows what the enemy is doing in every series of the show.

"They're charging weapons" or "enemy is raising shields" is constantly in the dialog. I think if we were capable of seeing enemy power settings it could add some depth to the strategy of the game.

Or maybe i've missed this option and it's hidden in the menu some where?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 04:45 AM
It works differently in the show. They don't run around with shields up or weapons powered all the time. You do in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4el
Have you seen star trek? The crew always knows what the enemy is doing in every series of the show.

"They're charging weapons" or "enemy is raising shields" is constantly in the dialog. I think if we were capable of seeing enemy power settings it could add some depth to the strategy of the game.

Or maybe i've missed this option and it's hidden in the menu some where?
Well, in the game shields are permanently raised and weapons always powered up...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Excatly how does

75/75 weapons or 25/25 weapons add some depth or strategy to the game?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 04:49 AM
And in the movies/series you're not always trying to blow up everything you see.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 04:51 AM
There are no friendly encounters in STO. Each person you meet is either blue or red, thus your ship automatically knows to use shields or not.

Beyond that, knowing where the ships you're fighting have their energy set would give you unfair advantages; espeically the Science Vessels, that would then know where to set the AUX to constantly shutoff shields, weapons, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Deaux
And in the movies/series you're not always trying to blow up everything you see.
Yeah, in the game you don't hail vessels to avoid conflict. Unless it's scripted in which case the conversation will go "I will kill you!" "not if I kill you first!"

Actually, been rewatching TNG, and there wasn't any battle like this game until season 4. And that didn't even happen on screen.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Yeah, in the game you don't hail vessels to avoid conflict. Unless it's scripted in which case the conversation will go "I will kill you!" "not if I kill you first!"

Actually, been rewatching TNG, and there wasn't any battle like this game until season 4. And that didn't even happen on screen.
MMOs are about action. Star Trek has always been about the character interplay for more then the mission - of course, there was no SFX budget for conflict during the early years of TOS and TNG. That's why the movies all tend to be more action oriented. Something has to give, and in STO interplay was what gives to the call for MMO players' need to hit things.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
MMOs are about action. Star Trek has always been about the character interplay for more then the mission - of course, there was no SFX budget for conflict during the early years of TOS and TNG. That's why the movies all tend to be more action oriented. Something has to give, and in STO interplay was what gives to the call for MMO players' need to hit things.
Pretty much unfortunateley. But it answers the original post- not everything from the series, in fact pretty much most of it won't be in the game.

Always get this problem with a well established IP anyway.
(P.S., i think the lack of combat was more story than budget oriented, star trek was a very much pacifist franchise)