Lt. Commander
# 1 3D Co-ordinate system
02-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how everybody was referring to targets in 3D space when they are in a team?

I group often with friends and also chat to them over skype or vent and want a way to clearly describe a target to a group so that we can coordinate our attacks. I guess it could be something similar to the system Picard used on Next Gen (three degree coordinaters seperated by 'mark'). Or a interface solution like a dual mini map for top down and side on views when in space.

Either way I would be interested to hear what other people were doing.

Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 06:14 AM
It's easier than that. When in groups (and people should be more often when coordinating attacks) the MMO standard of "target marking" just needs to be put in.

The team leader should be able to set a visual marker for primary, secondary and tertiary targets like almost all other MMOs. Something I am quite sure Cryptic intends to put in, especially with the 5-man "raid-i-sodes" on the way.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Yes thats a good idea. Talking of that I wonder if Cryptic intend to introduce an add in system for the interface? that would allow them to own the IP of any good ones and include them into the official patches.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 06:31 AM
You can target the group leader and fire, and you will shoot at what they are attacking.

Other than that, being that I am a pilot, I use the traditional clock system with high level and low designators, i.e. 3 o.clock low for something to my right that is below me. But if you do that, make sure you are all facing the same way when saying that, or it won't make sense.

Al
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfore View Post
Yes thats a good idea. Talking of that I wonder if Cryptic intend to introduce an add in system for the interface? that would allow them to own the IP of any good ones and include them into the official patches.
While I know many people like them, i am a staunch opponent to add-ons. They usually become crutches that too many gamers rely upon. There are so many hassels that are opened with MMOs when it comes to third-party add-ons. If it's something by the dev team themselves, fine, but that's not really an add-on.

Beyond the general issues, they clash with the game's code often and then you have the ever popular "If you want to play with us you MUST have <blank> add-on". Coordination becomes really annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 06:44 AM
While I understand that they do become crutches for people to rely on. I like them because they allow the game developers to make encounters that much harder... Imagine trying to do some raid in certain mmos without addons... they are impossible
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlen9
While I understand that they do become crutches for people to rely on. I like them because they allow the game developers to make encounters that much harder... Imagine trying to do some raid in certain mmos without addons... they are impossible
But then that forces people to use something they don't want to. Not exactly a good business model. "Welcome to out game. Now go download a bunch of third-party pieces of software that may very well much up your install just do you can complete "raids"."

I, for one, played through almost all raid content in MMOs without the use of a macro or an add-on and I've never had any real issue. As loathe as I am to even bring it up, WoW's use of add-ons is pathetic. Gear Score has become the gimp method to "measure" someone up. Out-of-date add-on versions like Deadly Boss Mods got people kicked from raids. Gripe fests over "Corbonite vs. Quest Helper" were all over.

Again, loathe as I am to bring it up, WoW DID learn from one of the first add-ons, Thottbot, and they added several of the features in-game with no need for third-party coding. That I am fine with, junk from someone other than the devs, not so much. Hell, I even hate macros, but I am odd that way.