Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 71
02-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilthanaz View Post
This is the internet.

On the internet:
1. Men are men
2. Women are men
3. Kids are FBI agents

To extend the list, one might add that sometimes a 'Female Gamer' appears to post in forums, in this case, the STO forums. You should be aware of two things then:

Rule #2 of the internet (Women are men) and that it is quite easy to copy/paste, upload and then link a picture of SOME girl as 'prove'. This goes as far as that some people make up full lifes on facebook, twitter and other social network platforms to fake an identify and thus, be able to impersonate a female being almost perfect. Without a voice check you can never be certain, but even that can be rigged... Rule #2 again, anyway.

Good luck.

- G

Edit:
Almost forgot - In for a thread featuring the famous CHAT, who surely is definitly male and well endowed. At least thats what my tarot cards just said.
I like this post! It's funny, tongue in cheek, and has some very, very truthful and good advice.

I had a friend once who had someone who pretended she was handicapped and sent photos of herself and even faked a whole mom thanking him for treating her daughter so nicely. It was pretty sick stuff. This person posted pictures they got from another woman's site. That's just one of the many examples I've seen of men getting duped.

I can't tell you how many times I've met people online who say they are female, but after chatting with them for a while (months/weeks) they finally realize I really am a female gamer and they come out as a male (of course I keep their anonymity).

It's not a big deal either way. I like their company and they never had to lie about their non avatar sex in the first place.

Your post was very insightful and helpful for people who believe avatars are women online and offline when it's only online. Usually it has been my experience there are lots of us out here, but you guys outnumber us... FOR NOW!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 72 Heh
02-05-2010, 06:32 AM
I once experienced someone getting kick/banned from a teamspeak server. Well, thats not special. But it was a woman and the kick message read something along the line of: "WAH! WOMEN! OUTOUTOUTOUT! SCARY! INTERNET = MEN!".

Hm. Psychatrist fail?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 73
02-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilthanaz View Post
I once experienced someone getting kick/banned from a teamspeak server. Well, thats not special. But it was a woman and the kick message read something along the line of: "WAH! WOMEN! OUTOUTOUTOUT! SCARY! INTERNET = MEN!".

Hm. Psychatrist fail?
I don't even understand what that kick message meant.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 74
02-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanMax
I just wanted to take a survey to see if there were any female gamers here. Or if you know any female gamers playing STO. Thank you in advance.

Way to point out that you are a stalker. GG
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 75
02-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilthanaz View Post
This is the internet.

On the internet:
1. Men are men
2. Women are men
3. Kids are FBI agents

To extend the list, one might add that sometimes a 'Female Gamer' appears to post in forums, in this case, the STO forums. You should be aware of two things then:

Rule #2 of the internet (Women are men) and that it is quite easy to copy/paste, upload and then link a picture of SOME girl as 'prove'. This goes as far as that some people make up full lifes on facebook, twitter and other social network platforms to fake an identify and thus, be able to impersonate a female being almost perfect. Without a voice check you can never be certain, but even that can be rigged... Rule #2 again, anyway.

Good luck.

- G

I approve this post.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 76
02-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilthanaz View Post
I once experienced someone getting kick/banned from a teamspeak server. Well, thats not special. But it was a woman and the kick message read something along the line of: "WAH! WOMEN! OUTOUTOUTOUT! SCARY! INTERNET = MEN!".

Hm. Psychatrist fail?
Whoever kicked her has some serious issues.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 77 tech
02-05-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilthanaz View Post
I once experienced someone getting kick/banned from a teamspeak server. Well, thats not special. But it was a woman and the kick message read something along the line of: "WAH! WOMEN! OUTOUTOUTOUT! SCARY! INTERNET = MEN!".

Hm. Psychatrist fail?
It's sad but the're still not enough woman in the 'harder' tech fields and derivates and those that are there are often looked at as not belonging there . Same for gaming as proven above

Inu

PS although my ex-so's all say that I'm to butch, I'm female (at least last time I checked )
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 78
02-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Quote:
and those that are there are often looked at as not belonging there
THIS!

/10char
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 79 Missing the Point
02-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Everyone here is making the same assumption, and it's just dead wrong. You're defining STO based on what has gone before, and for this game that just doesn't work. That's because it's not just any MMO, it's a Star Trek MMO.

Star Trek has a far more universal appeal than most sci-fi and video game universes, simply because it's Star Trek. To fail to take that factor into account is to fail to understand the nature of Star Trek's appeal and what has made it the massively popular cultural phenomenon that it is.

While it's a clear over-generalization to be sure, men love Trek for the conflict and battles, while women love it for the human aspect, for the personal stories of the crew and their relationships. Star Trek succeeded in both of these in TV and film, and so it's not a real surprise that STO is drawing attention and gaining subscriptions from both women and men.

In short, even though it may look and play somewhat like MMO's many of us have seen and played before, STO is it's own animal, in large part because the universe it's based on is and has been it's own animal for generations. Trying to compare STO to any other MMO out there just won't work because not one of them, including WoW, has even close to the worldwide audience Star Trek does.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 80
02-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckygrrl View Post
Everyone here is making the same assumption, and it's just dead wrong. You're defining STO based on what has gone before, and for this game that just doesn't work. That's because it's not just any MMO, it's a Star Trek MMO.

Star Trek has a far more universal appeal than most sci-fi and video game universes, simply because it's Star Trek. To fail to take that factor into account is to fail to understand the nature of Star Trek's appeal and what has made it the massively popular cultural phenomenon that it is.

While it's a clear over-generalization to be sure, men love Trek for the conflict and battles, while women love it for the human aspect, for the personal stories of the crew and their relationships. Star Trek succeeded in both of these in TV and film, and so it's not a real surprise that STO is drawing attention and gaining subscriptions from both women and men.

In short, even though it may look and play somewhat like MMO's many of us have seen and played before, STO is it's own animal, in large part because the universe it's based on is and has been it's own animal for generations. Trying to compare STO to any other MMO out there just won't work because not one of them, including WoW, has even close to the worldwide audience Star Trek does.
Brilliant post.

( PS. I love your blog! )
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 PM.