Lt. Commander
Ok...I know ths is probably a dead horse. But... I *REALLY* dislike mashing the hell out of my space bar every second to keep my weapons firing on target.

This seriously seems like a project manager at cryptic got to weigh in on 'game mechanics.' Hate it, and I mean, its awful. Could it be worse? A little, but not much.

Who is with me? MAKE ENERGY WEAPONS AUTO-FIRE!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Here's what I just posted in another thead. I realize it's a dead-horse too, but I think we need to keep re-iterating this because it's an important UI tool that we really want. Anyone who doesn't want it doesn't have to use it.

I just hit Lt-Cmdr 6 last night, so I'm half-way through this rank, and will be adding a third beam weapon when I hit Commander level science ships.

I AM NOT looking forward to having to return to spacebar-mashing, for the benefit of one phaser, like I was doing in the Miranda before I discovered auto-refire in the first place.

I'm enjoying the space combat for the tactical nature of it. Carefully timing my torpedoes and boff skills, controlling my power levels, and shield balance and facing. I do not want it to also be a button masher.

All I'm asking for is auto-refire capability for all beams. Technically I think we should have it available for all weapons, but people will be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't carefully time their torpedoes. I say let them! We should have the flexibility to use the UI as we choose.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm with you 100%, and this is not really dead horse... It's not a dead horse until Cryptic decides to kill it. Once they finally decide to address this issue and say "yes, we'll add it" or "no it won't be added because.... " then I will consider it a dead horse.

The game sorely needs autofire! This is not an FPS or an arcade game, this is a tactical MMORPG!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 08:14 AM
I want my all female Bridge Crew to have full nudity, but dont think its gonna happen.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray10 View Post
I want my all female Bridge Crew to have full nudity, but dont think its gonna happen.
Considering I do not have a full human (or human-like) crew, I think I'll pass on that one :S

The thing is that autfore can happen. The ability is there, they just have to allow us to set more weapons to autofire. Same for ground autofire, it was there but they removed it!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raximillian
Considering I do not have a full human (or human-like) crew, I think I'll pass on that one :S

The thing is that afore can happen. The ability is there, they just have to allow us to set more weapons to auto fire. Same for ground auto fire, it was there but they removed it!
The thing is full nudity is passable in the game as well.

If it stoped at PvE its your game auto fire away. If its PvP then no that would be putting the computer program in charge of the action. You may want to sit back and watch a movie but some who you will encounter in PvP might want to play the game. Although hitting the space bar doesn't take skill but it does take some effort.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray10 View Post
The thing is full nudity is passable in the game as well.

If it stoped at PvE its your game auto fire away. If its PvP then no that would be putting the computer program in charge of the action. You may want to sit back and watch a movie but some who you will encounter in PvP might want to play the game. Although hitting the space bar doesn't take skill but it does take some effort.
That is why this is optional. If you do not like it, do not use it.

Thanks for agreeing pressing the space bar takes no skill. And that is correct, it does not. Now, you say it takes some effort, and that is not a problem really. The question is, what does that extra effort lead to? Does it show more skill? nope, you agreed it does not. Does it add more fun? considering I have a myriad of other things to take care of and this is not an arcade game, no it does not add more fun. Does it add more tactics? nope, as long as I have energy, it does not add more tactics.

So, in the end, what did that extra effort add to the game? Apparently, just complications for your carpal tunnel as far as I can see. So can that constant button pressing be removed from the game without it suffering? yup, I believe it can. This is a tactical game, not an FPS. Clicking like a madman may be ok for an FPS but not for this kind of game. It just creates more tension for the player, more lag (as it has to send more info to the server), and more unhappy customers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Not going to happen.

Cryptic feels that repetitive actions are the same as good game play.

Also, they have developed STO with release to the console market in mind. They seem to think that repetitive button presses are required in that market.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
The lack of complete beam weapon auto-fire is what will likely keep me from renewing my subscription to the game. Frankly, my thumbs are getting tried as a I am constantly mashing the space bar all the time! It really just isn't a fun experience and in my opinion, detracts from the overall fun gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
To my knowledge I don't remember ever having an auto attack/fire in city of heroes. Always had to press a corresponding button to do an attack. People who made city of heroes made STO. I can see why there is still no autofire in some instances if my memory serves right. I agree with you all about auto fire (I played wow so I like a auto attack) but I'll live without it too. I still like the game.