Lt. Commander
# 21
02-05-2010, 06:15 AM
It works like this...

You can set your identification CN with your processor to whatever you want, so long as they approve it. Cryptic probably set that to "Champions Online," so it's more identifiable on the credit cards of CO subscribers.

To put it another way, if your were subscribed to champions online. On your statement, you would be more likely to recognize "Champions Online 14.99" or "Cryptic 14.99."

Banks/CC companies allow this so there is less confusion about billing, which results in less charge-backs and more money. This is the same thing for retail stores, as it allows them to you their DBA instead of their registered name. You want your CC To say "Jane's Fabric Store" on it, and not "XYZ Corp."

I'm sure they are technically violating their Merchant Agreement by misleading STO players with the "Champions Online", however, I'm also sure it will remedied.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiemart View Post
If we needed any more hints that things are messy this would be it...

I gave a glance at my credit card bill today after reading some scary stories on here, I'm glad to report that none of these have happened to me so far but I did notice that instead of being billed for Star trek Online, I am being billed for Champions Online.

Is this a mistake?

If I try to login to Champions will I be able to play?

This is all quite disturbing considering I just gave these guys my credit card number and stuff like this is really making me uncomfortable.
It's probably an accounting trick to make it look like CO isn't failing so hard. But so long as you can get into the game it doesn't really matter.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Also, you don't have to "challenge" things to simply let Cryptic know they made a typing mistake. A simple support ticket would have worked just a well without all the forum angst/drama.

Well all the financial fraud going on these days IS cause for being constantly aware of what you are being billed for I would say, and yes the first thing I did was send in a ticket. I also wanted to make people aware of this on the forums so they can keep an eye on their own billing. Call it a community service if you will.

You call it drama, I call it being watchful of my hard earned pennies.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Well all the financial fraud going on these days IS cause for being constantly aware of what you are being billed for I would say, and yes the first thing I did was send in a ticket. I also wanted to make people aware of this on the forums so they can keep an eye on their own billing. Call it a community service if you will.

You call it drama, I call it being watchful of my hard earned pennies.
The tone of your original post is all about drama starting from your initial line: "If we needed any more hints that things are messy this would be it.... " You didn't post that to let us know about the problem. You posted it to insult Crypitc based on a simple typing mistake.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 06:49 AM
I fired up the Champs launcher the other day, got the right decals and logo, the right news, clicked launch and it started up STO. Go figure.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenaka
I fired up the Champs launcher the other day, got the right decals and logo, the right news, clicked launch and it started up STO. Go figure.
Fancy that.