Lt. Commander
# 201
02-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcrawford View Post
To Quote Mr. Spock:
“I find that remark… insulting”

I have been a trekkie for forty years, I truly love all things Trek, and I want STO to be as big as WoW (although this is not likely) if I wanted a small exclusive MMO, I would still be playing Eve.

Now perhaps a care-bare ‘phew phew, kaboom, respwn, phew phew, kaboom, I win!’ environment will keep you happy but the simple fact is that if you give players nothing to do but pre-scripted missions and raids all of which are almost impossible to fail, as fun as they are, it will get old and boring. When people get board, they will leave… and Cryptic is in for some STEEP competition from Bioware next year. I personally will not go to SW:OR because I do not like Star Wars that much… but the non-hardcore trekkies and trekkers will leave in a heartbeat.
Wrong answer !

I noticed that you DID (in fact ) result to comments that were intended to be insulting and demeaning: references to "carebear" types ... and the other comments made to imply that only little children that are incapable of playing a "REAL" game were aimed at me personally.

IMHO this is little more than the continued ominous posturing intended to make others feel that without the "game" you desire that ANY game would be less than competitive.

IMHO STO does not need to follow the game design of EvE in order to succede.

Some things that will be needed: Battery buff and BO buffs that mean something (since the last patch BO's are like total idiots that are just a little better than worthless) ..

Frankly there's some stuff .. but this is not the thread to post it in !
Lt. Commander
# 202
02-05-2010, 06:45 AM
I support the concept of a death penalty. I love the game but it is far too easy and quick to level.
Lt. Commander
# 203
02-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Dirtyklingon - Can you really, with a straight face, say that the depth of WOW is the same as the depth of STO? Maybe I'm misinterpreting what your meaning is, but (and trust me, I'm not a WOW Fanboi ... maybe a **** fanboi but DEFINITELY not WOW) World of Warcrafts landscape is FAR more vast than anything in STO. There crafting system, although lacking being the best equipment out there against raid gear, is far more advanced than scanning space anomalies. I also understand that WOW has had many years to build up to this point, but even vanilla WoW was much more larger scale than STO is. I think the point has been made many times across many threads, this game is very shallow and very repetitive and unless something changes drastically, people will grow tired of it quickly, become bored and leave. When that happens, money goes away from Cryptic and the game dies on the vines.

Here is the best review I've read so far, harsh but truthfully written without slander: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/st...-online-review
Lt. Commander
# 204
02-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
Dirtyklingon - Can you really, with a straight face, say that the depth of WOW is the same as the depth of STO? Maybe I'm misinterpreting what your meaning is, but (and trust me, I'm not a WOW Fanboi ... maybe a **** fanboi but DEFINITELY not WOW) World of Warcrafts landscape is FAR more vast than anything in STO. There crafting system, although lacking being the best equipment out there against raid gear, is far more advanced than scanning space anomalies. I also understand that WOW has had many years to build up to this point, but even vanilla WoW was much more larger scale than STO is. I think the point has been made many times across many threads, this game is very shallow and very repetitive and unless something changes drastically, people will grow tired of it quickly, become bored and leave. When that happens, money goes away from Cryptic and the game dies on the vines.

Here is the best review I've read so far, harsh but truthfully written without slander: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/st...-online-review
for me coming to wow from lineage 2, wow felt small and closed in. i didn't understand the stats on the gear (so int gives +spell crit chance?). all teh zones were surrounded by mountains instead of being truly open, there were instances where my enemies could never find me, i didn't lose exp or items when i died, i could solo with any class instead of needing a party of nine to exp grind. levels came alot faster and i didn't need to camp a group of mobs. i didn't need an out of party buffbot/mana recharger and downtime was only a few seconds with food.

now in wow there are alot of sites that have done the math for you so you know what piece is best in slots, how much resilient you need to be effective, etc. the best comps for arena change every 3-6 months and only those comps can get to a certain rating. dps rotations are scrutinzed and math done for the best DPS output in raids. it seems to have alot of depth, and it is deeper than the average mmo. but compared to some single player games can be pretty simple. alot of people in wow talk about facerolling pvp or raid content. or afking during easymode raids etc.

in STO the sector blocks are smaller than the average wow zone for sure. but the travel time between systems is decent. it takes a couple minutes to travel from one end of the block to the other. each episode is roughly equal to a level's worth of quests in wow in terms of time and effort to do them.

in wow combat is often auto attack or repeat main nuke for regular dps, then you get certain spells that give some burst but can't be used repeatedly. sounds alot like phasers and torps in STO. mobs aren't hard to kill and require little if any thought. elite mobs usually just take longer or more players to kill. STO NPC ships do special attacks, fire torps(mindlessly though) change directions etc. sure in STO everything lower than the big ships you can sit in one place and auto attack phasers until they die, but it'll take longer than lining up torps and wearing down a specific shield facing.

in STO teh crafting is like wow's enchanting, except you don't disenchant items for mats. you upgrade items and you have to do this a certain number of times to advance. in wow the most useful thing you can craft is bags, which are cheap on the AH. there are many useful enchants for both raiding and pvp in wow, but there's never seen as a big deal. in STO crafting is currently mysterious and we don't know if maxing it out will result in a big payoff in the form of uber upgrades to weapons. it is no less deep than wow;'s crafting system, which is pretty shallow as far as mmo's go.

as for gathering mats, in wow you find gathering nodes. your gathering level restricts which nodes you can gather from, and you have to gather so many nodes of one level range before you can move on to the next. this does not mean it's deep. in STO you can scan any anomalous reading (gathering node) in your mission area, this does not make it any more simple than wow.

in wow which i played for a year solid and about a year and a half total, i got bored quite quickly of trying to grind up gathering ores. i had to grind each level of ore repeatedly, or take time out from my normal play to gather up ores in my level range. it was extremely repetitive, and wasn't hard because i had all the nodes marked on my map in every zone.

in STO i am not bored of gathering mats because i only gather mats which are en route to my next set of mobs or nav beacon or w/e. i do not go out of my way to gather them. i do not stop in the middle of a fight in a group to be the first to the node. i do not have to slow down to gather them. i have collected quite a few, though i don't know how much relative to what you need to advance in crafting ranks.
Lt. Commander
# 205
02-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcrawford View Post
if you think think that what I suggest is Eve 2, you have never played Eve.
You're suggesting the complete loss of ship and gear.... not remotely similar to EVE at all I am sure...
Lt. Commander
# 206
02-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwind
You're suggesting the complete loss of ship and gear.... not remotely similar to EVE at all I am sure...
shhhhh We're not suppose to figure that out !
Lt. Commander
# 207
02-05-2010, 07:43 AM
This game needs some sort of death penalty, and the difficulty needs to be increased, because it is a joke as it is now, and the game is simply no fun to play with no challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 208
02-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Eve is 6+ years old and going no where.

This game is 6 minutes old and going down the toilet.

Remember that when you bash Eve.
Lt. Commander
# 209
02-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Yes, because the lack of a death penalty sure terminated such games and franchises such as

The entire Grand Theft Auto series, 10+ years?
The entire Zelda series, what, 50 years or something by now?
Most of Final Fantasy, 10+ years?
City of Heroes/Villains, 7~ years?
Literally about every last first person shooter game.
Most strategy RP games (old Warcrafts, Starcraft, Civ, many others)
Just about half the non-PC gaming world?

Everyone is looking at this through the MMO filter.

Like I said previously,

Traditional MMO players--like me, with EVE, CoH/V, WoW under my belt, deep end game on the latter two, midrange on EVE--we're the insane aircraft carrier captains of gaming. We revel in depth, scope, and managing a ton of crap. I still explicitly remember WoW warlock builds that aren't even viable anymore because they were favorites, still remember specific dance steps for WoW boss fights, still can recount story arc facets from CoH that I haven't done for years.

Tradition FPS players--I'm a part-timer, Team Fortress 2, the Left 4 Deads, and back in the old days--we're the literal fighter pilots of gaming. Hard, fast, lock, shoot, release, repeat, go go go go go.

Strategy RP players--just Starcraft for me--are the methodical planners and engineers of gaming. They play for the story, to roll through the immersion.

There are probably a few other variants, but those are the main ones I believe. What do all three of our groups have in common?

Mathematically, we're a fraction of a percentage of both:

All the rest of the gamers in the world (Xbox, Wii, PSx, etc.)
All the rest of the Star Trek fans in the world.

Anyone who thinks this game was designed exclusively for the traditional tastes and mores of the MMO, FPS, or SRPers is deluded, wrong, and I'm glad they didn't take that route for something more mass appeal.

**** our niches--as a Trek fan I want this game to succeed; I want 25,000,000 players; I want to be attacking a Borg transwarp network in the ass-end of the Delta quadrant in 2015 with fifty other players in an epic raid, while someone else is content in another sector to beam down to Bajor and fight off Cardassian terrorists on his Xbox, in the same game universe.

Why? Because I'm a Trekkie (another **** bomb for Trekker--wear your geek with pride, my people) and I want this game to work for everyone. I'll take out my e-peen when I play Team Fortress 2.
Lt. Commander
# 210
02-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalblade View Post
This game needs some sort of death penalty, and the difficulty needs to be increased, because it is a joke as it is now, and the game is simply no fun to play with no challenge.
And they've already said they're doing a difficulty slider.

Because it's easy for you (and probably me) doesn't mean everyone is on our level and has been sadomasochistically abusing video games since we were old enough to reach the quarter slot in 1980.
Closed Thread