Lt. Commander
# 31
02-05-2010, 08:37 AM
If we're talking canon Captains though, I'm going to have to go with James T. Kirk, as he was the original.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-05-2010, 08:39 AM
picard, the bald knight
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I likes the Picard-d00d.

In particular, I like how he keeps a stern composed rigid form of Starfleet protocol and logic, always adhereing to the letter and spirit of Starfleet...

...until the Borg are mentioned...

...then we see a different side...ST:FC anyone?

Any scene with Picard unloading a full Tommy Gun on a Borg gets my vote for most awesome captain!!!

"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they've done."

Well said, Picard...well said!
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feor View Post
To me, the problem with Picard is that deep down he's a scientist. And while Starfleet has scientific and diplomatic missions that it carries out, it is the Military of the federation. Frankly, despite the Picard Maneuver, I find myself having trouble believing that when push comes to shove Picard could have held himself up in serious combat.

What??? serious combat!! HE FIGTH THE BORG!!! TWAICE!!! He kick the as* of the romuleans on eavry chess game they have!!
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Quote:
To me, the problem with Picard is that deep down he's a scientist. And while Starfleet has scientific and diplomatic missions that it carries out, it is the Military of the federation. Frankly, despite the Picard Maneuver, I find myself having trouble believing that when push comes to shove Picard could have held himself up in serious combat.

Jellico has been brought up and he was an excellent Captain, he understood that despite going on other missions, Starfleet was a military first ("Put some pants on Troi!") and he acted as such.

And yeah, Sisko had some confrontational tendancies, but most of the time (at least after he started to get some command experience on DS9) he uses that as a tool to get the reaction he wants, either prodding someone untiil he can help them see how foolish they've been, or making them back down through sheer intimidation.

And, I mean, come on, he punched Q!

"What does god need with a space ship?"?!? Really?

How about "Hello god!" *pow* "Now get the hell off my station!"
I see your point, but my post was based on Picard being the most COMPLETE captain, not neccessarily the "coolest". Like I said, Sisko is pretty two dimensional. Perhaps its just the fact that we never got to see much more of his diplomatic side. A bulk of DS9 revolved around the Dominion war so he was in combat a lot of the time. Its worth noting in response to Sisko punching Q that Picard never let Q push him that far. He would much rather battle WITS with Q which is infinitely more impressive.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Captain America.

I think this is where I type /thread.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-05-2010, 09:17 AM
jean-luc picard.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidfish View Post
I see your point, but my post was based on Picard being the most COMPLETE captain, not neccessarily the "coolest". Like I said, Sisko is pretty two dimensional. Perhaps its just the fact that we never got to see much more of his diplomatic side. A bulk of DS9 revolved around the Dominion war so he was in combat a lot of the time. Its worth noting in response to Sisko punching Q that Picard never let Q push him that far. He would much rather battle WITS with Q which is infinitely more impressive.
Actually, I'd say Q got that far with Picard several times (Crew missing, crew teleported to ancient criminal trial, ship teleported to wrong end of galaxy, etc), Picard just prefered to talk his way out of the situation while Sisko takes a more... direct approach.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Actually, I'd say Q got that far with Picard several times (Crew missing, crew teleported to ancient criminal trial, ship teleported to wrong end of galaxy, etc), Picard just prefered to talk his way out of the situation while Sisko takes a more... direct approach.
Very true, Picard shows remarkable self restraint. Sisko just doesnt feel the need. Different styles for very different men, but both great men in their own way.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Easy its Captain Jellico he took no crap (or fish)